Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:05:56 pm

Author Topic: General Advice for Software Development  (Read 3457 times)  Share 

ell

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +18
General Advice for Software Development
« on: January 21, 2009, 01:53:17 am »
+4
General Advice for Software Development

Before you read this guide, read the advice thread for ITA. Most of it applies to Software Development students, so it saves me from repeating the same points here - the advice below is unique to SD.

The difference between IT Applications and Software Development
  • SD goes into more depth with the technical topics (Networks is covered in far more detail according to the study design, although strangely has not yet made a big presence in the exams).
  • SD covers the Systems Development Life Cycle, while ITA covers the Problem Solving Methodology (in my opinion they should both just cover the SDLC and scrap the PSM).
  • In depth knowledge of algorithms is required for SD, i.e. how to interpret and how to write your own in any form (N-S diagrams, flowcharts, structured English). In ITA only need to know of them.
  • Unique to ITA: "Virtual teams"; Unique to SD: Conversion/Changeover methods, Data flow diagrams, a case study in the exam

Aside from the differences above, there is still a huge overlap between the two subjects.

Before the year starts...
  • Make sure you know what programming language your school will be using for the SACs, and learn it to a proficient enough level (you don't need to be a genius at it) before school starts.

Approaching Algorithms
There is always an algorithm on the exam, and it often discriminates the A+ students from the rest. It is consistenly poorly answered in exams, so make it your strength rather than your weakness.
  • Unfortunately, there is no easy way to interpret any algorithm straight away - it requires plenty of practice and strong logical thinking.
  • My advice - write some algorithms of your own (using all forms) and make programs just for fun. Reading and writing code will help build your logical thinking.
  • Desk check the algorithms from past VCAA exams, so you have an idea of how VCAA structure them and the format in which they present the test data to you.
  • There will almost always be a "spot-the-error" question in the exam, and VCAA aren't very creative with this - the error in the algorithm has been the same for the past two years.
  • When you're going through an algorithm, always ask yourself: what is it trying to do? Figure out what the purpose of the algorithm is (e.g. reordering items in a database, checking for stock that is low in quantity etc). This will help with fixing errors in algorithms.

Approaching Data Flow Diagrams (DFDs)
Like algorithms, these are another certainty in the exam, although in my opinion they're much easier to get a handle of.
  • The first thing you should do is learn the different symbols and what they represent - I'm sure these are detailed in your textbook so I won't go over them here.
  • The DFD question will most likely be a "fill in the blanks" type question. These are relatively straight forward - you're basically matching up information given to you in the case study with the half-completed DFD in front of you.
  • Use your common sense - if the process is "Send quote", then the data flowing through that process is, you guessed it, a quote! Some are not as clear as that example, though, but they are normally not too difficult.

The technical aspect of Software Development
  • "What is the difference between an ADSL and a cable Internet connection?" - don't be surprised if you get a question like this, examiners expect SD students to have a good general knowledge of technology.
  • HowStuffWorks explains concepts well and is perfect if you're unsure of anything technology-related.
  • Although it's unlikely that you will be asked a "Define ______" question, memorise solid definitions for key terms like modem or firewall.
  • Know your units, and other important features of mobile devices - you'll be asked to compare and determine which is the best fit for the particular case study.

Exam Advice...
  • How to use reading time: it's really up to you. Some people like to take care of the multiple choice during reading time - I read the whole paper and made a mental note of how I was going to answer each short answer and case study question, and started the MC when reading time finished.
  • The case study insert contains a lot of fluff (i.e. unnecessary information) but I'd still read it first, just to get an idea of who the key people are in the organisation and what the organisation does before answering any questions.
  • Unlike ITA, you can go into more technical detail with your answers. However, it's not an excuse to ramble for the whole page - keep your answers concise, and ALWAYS relate back to the case study if you're in Section C. You will lose marks if you don't.
  • More advice from Mark Kelly himself: http://vceit.com/wp/exams-2/exam-tips/

Useful links

And that's it. Past SD students, feel free to add more advice to this thread.

Mod Edit (12/05/2016): Updated links to reflect 2016-2018 study design and VCEIT changes - Aaron
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:34:31 pm by Aaron »

Flaming_Arrow

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +16
Re: General Advice for Software Development
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:50:12 pm »
good work ell!
2010: Commerce @ UoM

dannayeee

• Victorian
  • Adventurer