Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 04:21:35 pm

Author Topic: Mental Blank Defamation Claim  (Read 3859 times)  Share 

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
Mental Blank Defamation Claim
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:31:57 am »
As questions have already been asked (I was hoping it would pass without any fanfare), I feel that I should inform you that two threads regarding Mental Blank have been deleted following a defamation claim levelled at VCENotes by solicitors acting on their behalf.

I cannot give any details other than that, but please be mindful of what you say regarding them. I don't like it any more than you do, but even negative opinions which may be valid might be actionable, and given their actions already, I am fearful that we may be sued. So please keep this in mind when posting about them.

I feel awful about this, but this is the reality of the situation.

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: Mental Blank Defamation Claim
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 02:53:19 pm »
I don't think they have much of a case. Opinions can't be denounced as defamation so long as they are presented as an opinion, are based on something (e.g. attending the seminars) and is within public interest (which I think they are, if people are spending money on something, they should be able to find opinions on them - like, if I were to buy a book or a can opener, I'd like to know what other people thought, it's sort of like eBay feedback).

But I'll definitely keep this in mind now and I think it's a good idea to be cautious.

costargh

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 02:56:58 pm »
It's not worth the hassle for enwiabe to take MentalBlank on or to refuse to take down the thread. It most likely would be an empty threat but how is a Uni student going to cope with a court case (financially and emotionally) in this situation. It's just easier to take it down. Thats one of the problems with our legal system imo, the cost of taking on an action can be so prohibitive that the party in the less dominant position (VN) just ends up submitting to the dominant partys demands.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 04:07:47 pm »
I think their problem was "Beware MENTALBLANK"

But I agree with Eriny that it's most likely a bluff.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:47:14 pm »
Actually, nothing in "Beware Mental Blank" was defamatory. That thread didn't need to be deleted, but I guess enwiabe was just being cautious.

What a fucking bully.

Eriny - nothing you said was defamatory either. It was the posts which simply said stuff like "they are crap, don't go to them", without any evidence etc.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 02:41:38 pm »
I cannot give any details other than that

What? They had a gag order as well?
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator