Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 06:09:39 am

Author Topic: Cosine's Exam 1 for Methods!  (Read 10952 times)  Share 

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
Cosine's Exam 1 for Methods!
« on: July 16, 2015, 09:13:32 pm »
+21
Hello,

I am delighted to share the examination I made from scratch with my good friend, Redoxify. We appreciate the constant help that certain people from this website provide us with, so we decided to give back! It was great fun creating this exam 1 for methods, and If people enjoy it, I will certainly make more! I hope you can give it a go, and please let me know how you went, put your score down below if you wish.

Exam: https://www.dropbox.com/s/219yv91qd9yln8b/csne%20exam%201.pdf?dl=0

Worked Solutions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jk063j20azcjdfj/Exam%201%20Solutions%20-%20Cosine.pdf?dl=0

Just note that everything on this exam is within the 2006-2016 study design for methods. I have not included probability content as I have not yet finished the topic. I have included a vast array of topics ranging from transformations, logs and exponentials, circular functions, integration and finding areas, sketching trig functions, differentiation and related rates.

I have included the examination itself, and the worked solutions to each question. Enjoy and let me know what you think! :)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:00:15 am by cosine »
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

Floatzel98

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: Cosine's Exam 1 for Methods!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 09:47:33 pm »
+1
Wow that's amazing guys. I applaud you on all the effort that you put into that. I can barely keep up with my normal workload and you guys are here making exams haha. I'll try to do it tonight or tomorrow and I'll post back when I complete it :)
2016 - 2019: Bachelor of Science Advanced - Research (Honours) [Physics and Mathematics] @ Monash University

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 09:58:38 pm »
Wow that's amazing guys. I applaud you on all the effort that you put into that. I can barely keep up with my normal workload and you guys are here making exams haha. I'll try to do it tonight or tomorrow and I'll post back when I complete it :)

Thank you Floatzel98 :)

Let us know how it goes! xD

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:14:16 pm »
+3
I highly recommend writing full questions to help learn content - it opens you to thinking both what is within the realm of possibility when it comes to questions, but also activates a different part of the brain. But beware - I will critique the fuck out of this. :P

Note, I'm not actually proof-reading your solutions, but I can see some issues for one of the show-that questions. I'll point that one out, but it's definitely worth others doing their own check of these things. (also, if you write an exam with some wrong solutions, this is *even better* for others - so if you do this in future, including some on purpose would definitely not be a bad idea. ;) )

Spoilering so people can avoid if they haven't done the exam.
1. Not bad, fairly standard. However, normally VCAA will give you numbers that come out super nice - this is going to give you some weird ones. Also, a normal equation is worth more work than 2 marks - there should be 1 for use of the derivative, 1 for the use of m1m2=-1 and 1 for the actual normal.

2. Not too bad - a somewhat wasted opportunity to not test composition domain/range stuff, which should always be asked whenever compositions, products or sums of functions are tested.

3. Fairly standard, but that "hence antidiff a cos" is unnecessary. Those questions should always be for something that cannot be anti-diffed using methods techniques - as it is, people can still get the answer mark for this even without understand integration by recognition. Also, just a nit-pick - if you're going to restrict the domain later for sketching purposes, why not just have the original function with a restricted domain?

4. This one isn't necessarily written badly - but, normal lines were already tested, so this should've been replaced with something else.

5. Same as above, we already did compositions. Also, no domain/range stuff, again. Also also, this is only true for x>0 (most index laws break down for negative bases)

6. Three for three with a repeat of transformations stuff. I know this time it's done differently (asking to do instead of asking for what did), but methods is so big you shouldn't see the same topic more than once on any given exam 1. There's definitely repeats between exams and in exam 2, but not in exam 1 - it's SO tiny.

7. Methods students should not be asked to solve a question involving sec - it is not strictly taught in methods. Yes, a lot of people know it because diffing, but it still should not be present.

8. No real issue here. You don't need to mention that a is positive real - it has to be, anyway.

9. The question seems alright, but the marks for it might be too small again. Also, related rates is normally reserved for exam 2 stuff, but presumably if you do more after you learn probability, you'd have put a probability question here, instead.

Also, a general thing for the graphs - *don't* write "axes are not to scale". You don't scale the axes, the students do, and you should always have an approrpriate scale when drawing a graph in an exam as a student. If you do not scale your axes consistently, you will lose marks for graph-sketching. Also, the bolding is pretty unnecessary in general - it's just kinda overdone, here.

Otherwise, good work - the exam does seem to be at the right difficulty, with some good throwaway marks, and some questions that'll really eat into time. You could possibly afford to get rid of one of the easier questions and put something in that'll really test students - think question 10 from last year's exam 1 type stuff. Try to make some stuff that's not just time-consuming/a lot of work, but is actually, legitimately difficult to do.

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 10:30:49 pm »
I highly recommend writing full questions to help learn content - it opens you to thinking both what is within the realm of possibility when it comes to questions, but also activates a different part of the brain. But beware - I will critique the fuck out of this. :P

Note, I'm not actually proof-reading your solutions, but I can see some issues for one of the show-that questions. I'll point that one out, but it's definitely worth others doing their own check of these things. (also, if you write an exam with some wrong solutions, this is *even better* for others - so if you do this in future, including some on purpose would definitely not be a bad idea. ;) )

Spoilering so people can avoid if they haven't done the exam.
1. Not bad, fairly standard. However, normally VCAA will give you numbers that come out super nice - this is going to give you some weird ones. Also, a normal equation is worth more work than 2 marks - there should be 1 for use of the derivative, 1 for the use of m1m2=-1 and 1 for the actual normal.

2. Not too bad - a somewhat wasted opportunity to not test composition domain/range stuff, which should always be asked whenever compositions, products or sums of functions are tested.

3. Fairly standard, but that "hence antidiff a cos" is unnecessary. Those questions should always be for something that cannot be anti-diffed using methods techniques - as it is, people can still get the answer mark for this even without understand integration by recognition. Also, just a nit-pick - if you're going to restrict the domain later for sketching purposes, why not just have the original function with a restricted domain?

4. This one isn't necessarily written badly - but, normal lines were already tested, so this should've been replaced with something else.

5. Same as above, we already did compositions. Also, no domain/range stuff, again. Also also, this is only true for x>0 (most index laws break down for negative bases)

6. Three for three with a repeat of transformations stuff. I know this time it's done differently (asking to do instead of asking for what did), but methods is so big you shouldn't see the same topic more than once on any given exam 1. There's definitely repeats between exams and in exam 2, but not in exam 1 - it's SO tiny.

7. Methods students should not be asked to solve a question involving sec - it is not strictly taught in methods. Yes, a lot of people know it because diffing, but it still should not be present.

8. No real issue here. You don't need to mention that a is positive real - it has to be, anyway.

9. The question seems alright, but the marks for it might be too small again. Also, related rates is normally reserved for exam 2 stuff, but presumably if you do more after you learn probability, you'd have put a probability question here, instead.

Also, a general thing for the graphs - *don't* write "axes are not to scale". You don't scale the axes, the students do, and you should always have an approrpriate scale when drawing a graph in an exam as a student. If you do not scale your axes consistently, you will lose marks for graph-sketching. Also, the bolding is pretty unnecessary in general - it's just kinda overdone, here.

Otherwise, good work - the exam does seem to be at the right difficulty, with some good throwaway marks, and some questions that'll really eat into time. You could possibly afford to get rid of one of the easier questions and put something in that'll really test students - think question 10 from last year's exam 1 type stuff. Try to make some stuff that's not just time-consuming/a lot of work, but is actually, legitimately difficult to do.

Cheers for the input, EulerFan101!

I can get away with the repetitions of certain topics because it's my first attempt at making an exam. Next one will definitely be better structured. How would rate the overall difficulty of the exam compared to VCAA? Few people told me it's a bit harder, and some said it's easier.. Thoughts?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 10:40:02 pm »
Cheers for the input, EulerFan101!

I can get away with the repetitions of certain topics because it's my first attempt at making an exam. Next one will definitely be better structured. How would rate the overall difficulty of the exam compared to VCAA? Few people told me it's a bit harder, and some said it's easier.. Thoughts?

As I said at the end - it's a good difficulty, relatively similar. The only real difference is that your "difficulty" is a little superficial - the hard parts of your exam is just having to do a lot of things in a small amount of time, as opposed to having to really do some hard thinking. I'd say your hardest question is probably question 4, compare this to question 10 in 2014 exam 1, or most questions in 2013 exam 1 (note: 2013 had a particularly difficult exam 1, so I wouldn't compare that to see how hard your exam is, but defs to see how hard you could go.)

Redoxify

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
  • School: UoM
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 10:44:09 pm »
+2
thanks heaps for the feedback EulerFan101, means a lot
Hope you guys enjoyed this, keep your eyes peeled out for more prac exams coming out
much love xx
2014-2015: VCE
2016-2018: Bsc Melbourne Uni

Floatzel98

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 11:43:02 pm »
+1
Hey guys, i got some questions about some of the questions plus the answers.

Spoiler
For question 9a), how did you ge r = h by similar triangles? If the radius is 20cm and the height is 10cm,  don't we go

I might be  just really tired now doing an exam at night, but i don't see how you guys got it? Was it supposed to be a diameter of 20cm maybe? That changed my answer for 9b, but i still got the same answer for c somehow.

For question 3d, was it meant to be a definite integral question? I think your solutions set it up as a integration by recognition question. Even if we did attempt it that way you guys still didn't have an answer for the definite integral part of the question. You probably got it from Eulers post, but i think the integration by recognition questions are reserved more for questions we can't integrate normally, i.e

Some other things, i don't know if the lines you guys used for the working out space is the same as VCAA, but they are really close together. When i was writing fractions/other stuff you could't see some the symbols properly. More of just a nitpick because i have messy and weird handwriting.

I don't have much to compare the difficulty to, but i thought it was pretty doable. So maybe on the easier side of things. 

Good job though guys. I thought it was really good :)
2016 - 2019: Bachelor of Science Advanced - Research (Honours) [Physics and Mathematics] @ Monash University

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 06:53:18 am »
+1
Hey guys, i got some questions about some of the questions plus the answers.

Spoiler
For question 9a), how did you ge r = h by similar triangles? If the radius is 20cm and the height is 10cm,  don't we go

I might be  just really tired now doing an exam at night, but i don't see how you guys got it? Was it supposed to be a diameter of 20cm maybe? That changed my answer for 9b, but i still got the same answer for c somehow.

For question 3d, was it meant to be a definite integral question? I think your solutions set it up as a integration by recognition question. Even if we did attempt it that way you guys still didn't have an answer for the definite integral part of the question. You probably got it from Eulers post, but i think the integration by recognition questions are reserved more for questions we can't integrate normally, i.e

Some other things, i don't know if the lines you guys used for the working out space is the same as VCAA, but they are really close together. When i was writing fractions/other stuff you could't see some the symbols properly. More of just a nitpick because i have messy and weird handwriting.

I don't have much to compare the difficulty to, but i thought it was pretty doable. So maybe on the easier side of things. 

Good job though guys. I thought it was really good :)

Good pick ups, Floatzel98!

The first one was meant to be diameter of 20cm, hence r=10cm. Also for the definite integral, you are right, I forgot to include the definite integral in the answer but just do it as usual. For the next exam we make, I will definitely include biggers spaces just for you, and it will also be a bit harder than this one, so keep an eye out! xD

Edit: I have amended the errors and the new link is up!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:57:31 am by cosine »

Kel9901

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Kardinia International College
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 09:35:18 am »
Q5 a): on the exam it says 'positive integers' while in the solutions it says 'integers' (which is what it should be)

anyways nice exam! I can see this helping lots of other students :)
s=change in displacement for physics
2011: Methods [47]
2012: Spesh [42] Further [47]
2013: UMEP Maths [4.5]
2014: Chem [47] Physics [48] Music Performance [43]
2015: Spesh [redo] English Accounting Music Investigation

@#035;3

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 11:50:21 am »
This is excellent!

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 03:24:30 pm »
Q5 a): on the exam it says 'positive integers' while in the solutions it says 'integers' (which is what it should be)

anyways nice exam! I can see this helping lots of other students :)

Yep it is just integers!

This is excellent!

Thank you guys, im glad you like it! xD

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 04:29:40 pm »
+1
gg
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 09:02:36 pm »
+2
Good stuff mate!
How long did it take you guys to write btw?
Love the logo too! Cosine education FTW!  ;)

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 09:35:34 pm »
Good stuff mate!
How long did it take you guys to write btw?
Love the logo too! Cosine education FTW!  ;)

Thank you alchemy! xD
It took about 12 hours in total to produce it. The longest/hardest part was to actually incorporate questions that involved nice/simple numbers and methods that could be done efficiently without a CAS calc. The worked solutions took quite a while too! I am glad you liked the logo, Cosine education :)