Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 08:10:39 am

Author Topic: University Deregulation Oral Feedback  (Read 1115 times)  Share 

Adequace

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 7-1 never forget.
  • Respect: +12
University Deregulation Oral Feedback
« on: February 28, 2015, 01:16:55 pm »
In 1973 Gough Whitlam opened up tertiary education to all Australians by abolishing university fees. For the first time, the child of a factory worker could realistically dream of becoming a doctor, lawyer or teacher. For the first time a child restricted by low-income could attend university without the fear of crippling debt, for the first time the adolescent of Australia could fulfil their life’s aspirations. The 1970s was the peak of Australian higher education.

However, in 2014 the Abbott government announced a legislation to deregulate university fees from 2016. Ironically, Tony Abbott was one of the beneficiaries of free higher education, which he studied at the University of Sydney in the late-1970s. Anyway, like many I heavily oppose university deregulation. If this proposed legislation does go ahead this will be the death knell to Universities Australia. [Pause]

But what does university deregulation even mean? How will it affect Australia and most importantly how will it affect us?

To understand university deregulation simply, it is the raise in tuition fees charged by universities along with a newly introduced additional interest rate applied to student loans. Somehow the Abbott government tend to think this legislation will “for the first time, enable competition based on ‘quality’ and ‘innovation’ in the higher education system.” To put this in perspective degrees such as engineering, law and dentistry could cost over $100,000 and medicine could rise to as much as $180,000. An absurd increase of 61% or more. [Pause]

Education is Australia’s biggest non-resource export earner. It ranks fourth overall in exports behind iron ore, coal and gold. This is because of the high number of international students wanting to study in Australia, but if this legislation passes therefore increasing domestic student’s degrees to an inequitable amount, which raises the cost of a degree for an international student even higher, surely the price will be unimaginable. Obviously deterring them from coming to Australia to study. This will result in Australia’s economy suffering immensely and as well as the diversity of Australia, especially since Australia likes to flaunt its multiculturalism.

Furthermore, this proposed legislation entrenches inequality and neglects the creative and talented students. Instead universities will select students based on their parent’s wealth, something to which they have no contribution to whatsoever. This is bad for Australia, as it means the best and the brightest aren’t getting the best education. Even if they could the gigantic price signal is unavoidable and the amount of debt will be unbearable. This simply becomes money rather than merit.

We are the Class of 2017, this means university deregulation will be well underway, if we choose to continue our education after high school expect to see a burning hole in your wallet. All of this wasted money, all of this wasted time and all of this resulting debt. I am sure you can all imagine. [Pause]

Consider England, from 2012 they announced substantial reforms to higher education funding. Students entering university were required to carry most of their cost, to their surprise universities were able to triple the cap on university fees. Which comes to £9,000 a year, which is $17,000 Australian dollars. They were livid.

In contrast, China has had a rapid growth of strong universities. This is because of their strong and strategic investments coming from their government. Five years ago, there were no Chinese universities ranked in the world’s 200 universities. Today there are 5. [Pause]

It is clear to me in today’s society where strong universities are the drivers of economic growth, productivity and development. This is fundamental in forming a more prosperous and more dominant nation. If our government continues to disregard this fact. We will see Australia stumble and fall.

So, wake up Australia and come to your senses. Support your children’s futures and public universities. Reject these reforms and think how to make Australian public higher education great without a gun pointed at our heads.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as selfish as I'm only Year 10. I'd love if you could mark it as if it is for a Year11/12 oral since I'm trying to get a 'headstart' in English since my school is pretty bad at English.

Any advice/feedback is welcome :)

Adequace

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 7-1 never forget.
  • Respect: +12
Re: University Deregulation Oral Feedback
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 06:37:48 pm »
Bump(sorry). I've received my feedback from my teacher but she's only said that my content was great but my delivery cost me quite a lot of marks, which I agree to some extent. I got 13/20...I didn't really look at my cue cards as I memorised the entire thing, but I delivered my intro poorly which killed my speech.

I'm just looking for advice on the content to adjust it to a VCE level oral. It doesn't have to be extremely detailed, a quick skim and advice is fine.

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
Re: University Deregulation Oral Feedback
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 09:21:09 pm »
You must have mucked up your delivery bad, because that content is much better than a 13/20 year 10 English Oral.

In saying that, I think your speech lacks enough persuasion. From my point of view, your oral spends a bit too much time explaining the context of the issue and not enough time persuading me. This is a difficult balance to get right, so it's good you're taking it seriously in year 10.