Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:50:39 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 851410 times)  Share 

YellowTongue

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "With God all things are possible" Mt 19:26
  • Respect: +6
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #525 on: August 03, 2015, 06:48:37 pm »
I have a few questions regarding text response essays:

1. How much background information needs to be included in the essay. In a recent essay I wrote, I basically included a plot summary in the introduction. My teacher said that this was unnecessary, and that I should try and condense the amount of summarising. How can I condense this, and much much of the plot (if any) should be summarized throughout the essay?

2. Should "controversial" themes in the text be discussed in an essay? My teacher told me that a recent essay included some discussion that may offend certain readers, and that I should leave that sort of discussion out. Of course, in a SAC, I would do what the teacher prefers, however I fail to understand why this is wrong; as long as I am providing relevant references to the text.

3. When writing paragraphs, is it okay to break them up into smaller paragraphs for sub-ideas, or should this be avoided? I feel that some of my paragraphs are becoming too long, but my teacher has said to try and use one paragraph per "broad idea" from the text.

4. How to I write about different ways that the text can be interpreted? I know what to write about, I just on't know how to insert it into my essays without disrupting the flow.

Thank you in advance  ;D
"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain" Psalm 127:1a

thaaanyan

« Reply #526 on: August 03, 2015, 08:21:29 pm »
+2
I have a few questions regarding text response essays:

1. How much background information needs to be included in the essay. In a recent essay I wrote, I basically included a plot summary in the introduction. My teacher said that this was unnecessary, and that I should try and condense the amount of summarising. How can I condense this, and much much of the plot (if any) should be summarized throughout the essay?

2. Should "controversial" themes in the text be discussed in an essay? My teacher told me that a recent essay included some discussion that may offend certain readers, and that I should leave that sort of discussion out. Of course, in a SAC, I would do what the teacher prefers, however I fail to understand why this is wrong; as long as I am providing relevant references to the text.

3. When writing paragraphs, is it okay to break them up into smaller paragraphs for sub-ideas, or should this be avoided? I feel that some of my paragraphs are becoming too long, but my teacher has said to try and use one paragraph per "broad idea" from the text.

4. How to I write about different ways that the text can be interpreted? I know what to write about, I just on't know how to insert it into my essays without disrupting the flow.

Thank you in advance  ;D

Hi!
1) You shouldn't be summarising at all in your essays, you should be providing evidence and quotes to back up you argument;
For example,
Topic sentence: Harry Potter's constant need to eat chocolate reveals the importance that food has in shaping our identity and sense of self. Harry's declaration, "It is chocolate! chocolate which feeds the soul" articulates the powerful presence of chocolate in providing not only physical nourishment but also food for the soul. Chocolate thus xyzxyzxyz
so like, there's no summary AT ALL it's just "quote" and then "how quote sheds light on topic sentence"
it's the same with intro: contention on topic, brief allusion to central ideas. no summary at all, though  you may have a brief contextualising sentence, like, "J.K Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chocolate explores the trials and tribulations of young baker, as his interaction with food through the saga acts to shape the landscape of his identity and the relationships he experiences. 

2) If the argument, though controversial, sheds light on the prompt in an insightful and clever manner, then you won't lose marks. cater to your teachers needs for the sac, then if your discussion fits the prompt, write what you'd like on the exam.

3) i'm not 100% sure what you mean? 1 paragraph = 1 idea + nuances of that idea for me. if your paragraph changes ideas then you should split paras them.

4) Erm, yeah, i'm not sure how to explain this. kind of like say your prompt is "Harry Potter is a hero"
and so in para 1 you go:
paragraph 1 = harry potter is a hero
but then in para 2 you say:
paragraph 2 = Harry's repeated indulgences in cake show his flaws as human being with selfish desires and therefore is a flawed hero
so i guess you've showed an alternate interpretation of his personality through addressing a different dimension of the prompt. this is a really kind of easy, broad way to do it; and you can manage it in the body paras and stuff through just explaining different ways things can be viewed.
i think it's also kinda nifty to end off on this note, through concluding on a broader/more expansive point. like, in my conclusion sometimes i'll say how the central understanding of the meaning of the text has changed through time in accordance to the reader/viewer's interpretation, and how modern interpretation differs from old interpretation.

so yeah! hope that helps. :) 

YellowTongue

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "With God all things are possible" Mt 19:26
« Reply #527 on: August 03, 2015, 08:27:41 pm »
Thank you  :)
"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain" Psalm 127:1a

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #528 on: August 03, 2015, 10:10:24 pm »
how do you write an engaging and interesting introduction and conclusion (for a standard expository essay for context)

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #529 on: August 03, 2015, 10:28:14 pm »
+1
how do you write an engaging and interesting introduction and conclusion (for a standard expository essay for context)
See Re: English Q&A.
Ideas:
- start with an interesting metaphor sentence or two
(I'll go with an example from her lecture: the prompt was something like 'we can't stop change from happening' and her sample first sentence went like 'if you put a 10 foot high fence in the way of where people want to go all you'll really do is create a surge in the 11 foot ladder business'.)
- start with a brief 'creative' paragraph, eg inner monologue of one of your characters
- start by explaining an external example as 'interestingly' as possible (e.g. see Lauren's intro here for inspiration)
and then jump into a more proper intro afterwards.

And then could come back to these afterwards, it's called 'bookending'.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #530 on: August 03, 2015, 10:44:43 pm »
for bookending; are we meant to signpost our body paragraph ideas through the utilization of ie. explaining external examples interestingly? or do you mean to first do that, and then continue on with the proper intro (of signposting paragraph ideas?)
thanks.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #531 on: August 03, 2015, 10:58:10 pm »
+1
for bookending; are we meant to signpost our body paragraph ideas through the utilization of ie. explaining external examples interestingly? or do you mean to first do that, and then continue on with the proper intro (of signposting paragraph ideas?)
thanks.
Either.  Context is 100% flexible, but it's easier to head into an intro-style paragraph after your more creative chunk, rather than trying to weave it in.  However it may be a briefer intro than you would otherwise have written.  Give a few a go (you don't have to write the whole essay to try out bookend + intro) and give them to your teacher for feedback!

Gogo14

• Forum Obsessive
  • when life gives you lemons... takeum and shareum
« Reply #532 on: August 03, 2015, 11:11:20 pm »
Hi everyone!!! >:( >:( :( :( :) :) :)

Im doing english 3/4 in 2 years time. I feel that my english vocabulary, comprehension and writing skills are poor. I need to get my foundation right so i can do well in 3/4

Any serious suggestions as to how to improve them before i take the 3/4?

P.s. I do not want a tutor
2016: Bio[45]
2017: Eng[43];Chem[47];Methods[49];Spesh[46];Physics[44]
2018+: B-Biomed @unimelb

PM if want help/advice | VCE tutoring available too- just PM

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #533 on: August 11, 2015, 08:52:43 pm »
+1
Hi everyone!!! >:( >:( :( :( :) :) :)

Im doing english 3/4 in 2 years time. I feel that my english vocabulary, comprehension and writing skills are poor. I need to get my foundation right so i can do well in 3/4

Any serious suggestions as to how to improve them before i take the 3/4?

P.s. I do not want a tutor

So sorry for the slow reply, just missed this somehow!

Seriously, the main thing you can do is make yourself read, anything and everything, as often as can.  Search out books, magazines, the news, whatever you enjoy.

You could also go through any of the essays/pieces you write and find words that you use too much or don't quite express what you want; then use a thesaurus to find similar words, and google 'define >word<' to find sample sentences containing the words.  Through this make a word bank of new words, grouping them by theme.  Then try and use these words as much as possible!

Then you could try keeping a diary.  Sounds corny, but just writing more is the way to learn to write!  If possible, you could show your entries (or anything else you write) to someone, asking them to correct your expression and grammar.  I'm willing for you to send me some by PM. 

P.S. LOL'd at the last line :)

MorgnD

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #534 on: August 22, 2015, 05:12:07 pm »
Just wondering if i can write my whose reality essay in an interview structure, also would this be considered as a creative piece or a hybrid? Thanks in advance.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #535 on: August 22, 2015, 05:24:02 pm »
+2
Just wondering if i can write my whose reality essay in an interview structure, also would this be considered as a creative piece or a hybrid? Thanks in advance.

I wrote my pieces in an interview style, which I consider to be hybrid.

Feel free to have a cheeky suss http://atarnotes.com/pages/?p=notes&a=feedback&id=748

MorgnD

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #536 on: August 22, 2015, 05:33:46 pm »
I wrote my pieces in an interview style, which I consider to be hybrid.

Feel free to have a cheeky suss http://atarnotes.com/pages/?p=notes&a=feedback&id=748

Thanks, really helpful! Also are the people you put in the interview connected to the text you were studying or completely separate?

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #537 on: August 22, 2015, 05:41:32 pm »
+3
Thanks, really helpful! Also are the people you put in the interview connected to the text you were studying or completely separate?

No worries!

Been a while now, but from memory:
#1 - fictional actress of fictional movie sequel to my text (text was a play that has a famous movie adaptation)
#2 - as above
#3 - real author's real daughter who was planning to really make that film
#4 - real author

Interviewer was fictional in all instances.

For #3 and #4 I did a *lot* of research and found all these interviews and transcripts from Frayn and his daughter, as well as another book by Frayn, to construct those interviews.

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #538 on: August 22, 2015, 10:32:45 pm »
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any A+ pieces for Identity and Belonging?

paper-back

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "I must govern the clock, not be governed by it"
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #539 on: August 23, 2015, 03:54:26 pm »
Is talking about terrorists in a context essay a risky thing to do?