Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 07:26:35 am

Author Topic: Revision!  (Read 3845 times)  Share 

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
Revision!
« on: September 20, 2014, 10:46:45 pm »
+2
So what's everyone doing for rev? :P. (Lectures, study techniques, exams).

For me, the PEGS head of HHD (forgot her name, think it's Lynne Andreson or something) is coming to our school and giving us a lecture. That will probably be the only lecture I will attend.

I'm planning on revising through the course by going over my typed up notes for each chapter and topic, also definitions, key stats and any hard material.

I've finished most of checkpoints, need to do a bit more.

And of course PRACTISE EXAMS! Which companies are the best to do???????????????

Happy studying!!
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

walkec

Re: Revision!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 07:44:01 am »
+2

For me, the PEGS head of HHD (forgot her name, think it's Lynne Andreson or something) is coming to our school and giving us a lecture. That will probably be the only lecture I will attend.

I'm planning on revising through the course by going over my typed up notes for each chapter and topic, also definitions, key stats and any hard material.

Happy studying!!

My teacher has given us revision booklets for both Units and I also have notes from the HHD teachers at the school where my Mum works, but they're pretty basic compared to what my teacher gave us. I also think mind maps are a good thing for HHD and I will be reviewing my past SACs and re watching vTextbook videos.

And then of course smashing out timed papers  :)

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:48:45 am »
+3
In Order of Most like VCAA/best revision to worst

Home Economics Victoria
Health Teachers Network
ACHPER
Peak performance
Neap
Insight
TSSM
Engage

Good luck :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 10:57:57 am »
+7

Happy studying!!

Hi Rod,

Here are some tips for HHD from my experience:

Between now and the beginning of exam period:
--> Practice exams: As per Smiley's post above, I think Home Economics Victoria, Health Teachers Network and ACHPER are three of the better ones. Keep in mind that none of them will be bad, though - you'll likely get something out of doing any practice exam. Don't feel like you can't do exams more than once, either; I did a lot of the VCAA exams numerous times.

--> Practice questions: If you don't feel like doing an entire practice exam, try doing a question or two here or there. Tailor them to be the best response that you can possibly give (do them open book/with notes if need be). This is also a good opportunity to improve your timing technique - by giving yourself a certain time period to answer a certain question, you should be able to improve your ability to write quickly and effectively. Remember that the exam will be out of ~100 marks and goes for 120 minutes.

--> Definitions: I've been telling my students recently that now is the time to start definition revision. I think takes a consistent effort over time to get your head around them all. Each day, take a definition or two, and really work on them. If you work hard on a couple of definitions per day, you'll be in a great head space when the exam comes around.

--> Study design: This is something that I did for all of my subjects, and I think that it works well. To work out what you need to study the most, take the study design, take each dot point, and write as much as you can about each point. If you can write a lot and feel confident about it, then great. If not, that's what you need to study.

--> Mind maps: Especially for a subject like Health which is full of connections between topics, mind maps can be a great idea to visually show the interrelationships between topics.

--> Become a teacher: If you can explain a topic, you should be able to write about it. Alternatively, get others to test you.

--> Notes: In the lead-up to exams, I had notes (mainly definitions/things I was struggling with) on my fridge, doors around the house etc. Of course, your family is likely to have a say in this one. I'd recommend to not put notes in your bedroom, though. I liked to have clearly defined rest areas.

--> Context-dependent cues: In 2012, the HHD exam was at a filthy time (3.30pm or something equally hideous). If it's the same this year, I suggest doing a few exams/some revision at that same time. It may seem like a little thing, but I think if you're used to thinking about Health at that time of day, it won't be quite so bad.

--> Sleep: I think that cramming late into the night is counter-productive. I never studied past 6pm, but this may differ from person to person.

All the best,
Nick.  :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 01:00:15 pm »
+1
Thanks everyone!!!
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!