Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:44:12 pm

Author Topic: HEY! Want to succeed in VCE/HSC?  (Read 37708 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
HEY! Want to succeed in VCE/HSC?
« on: May 18, 2014, 05:24:15 pm »
+47
#1 Mental health and stress
Spoiler
This is by far and away my most important piece of advice. If you take anything out of this document, let it be this: if you are struggling, seek help. It does not make you weak. There are people there to help: family, friends, teachers, counsellors. Give BeyondBlue a call (1300 22 4636). Anybody. VCE/HSC means nothing compared to your health. Let me repeat that: VCE/HSC means nothing compared to your health.

My experience: I didn't. I wish I did.
#2 Get in good habits
Spoiler
This one starts early. If you cruise through the earlier years of high school with little regard for deadlines, it seems unlikely that much will change for VCE/HSC.
I'm not suggesting completely devoting all of your time from the first minute of Year 7 (I sure didn't), but good habits are only going to be beneficial. Good habits may also include, for example, taking  a water bottle to school each day, or using broad resources.

My experience: I never once handed in an assignment late through all of my schooling. In Year 12, nothing changed for me, whilst peers who, in my opinion, were a lot more naturally gifted, struggled to adjust to the fairly quick pace of assignments and SACs.

As an aside, I only started to use a drink bottle in Year 12, and it made a significant difference; I found that I could concentrate for longer each day, and generally felt more invigorated.
#3 Believe in yourself
Spoiler
Like anything in life, succeeding in VCE/HSC is all about self-belief. You can do all the work you want, but at the end of the day, if you go into SACs or exams thinking that you won't do well, chances are you won't. In my opinion, the basis for belief is preparation. Do what you can to prepare, and you will feel positive.
 And this is essential for doing well. It's never too late to turn it around.
#3a It's never too late to turn it around
Spoiler
I suppose this deserves its own point. If you don't do as well on a SAC as you would have liked, or if you're failing halfway through the year, try not to be dictated by what has happened in the past. Instead, concentrate on the future and what you can control in order to maximise your achievements.
#4 Have goals, and remember those goals
Spoiler
‘SMART’ goals are even better (thank you, Business Management 3/4!): make your goals specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound, and you will be on your way to success. In my experience, short-term goals are more effective. For example, “complete [assignment] by [time]” may motivate you more than “achieve [ATAR],” but this will be different for each individual.
#5 "I have no idea what I want to do after school, so what's the point of trying?"
Spoiler
I'm so glad you asked! I had no idea, either. I still have no idea! And that's the thing: if you don't have a specific goal (see tip #4), why would you not try to keep as many metaphorical doors open as possible? I know that it's sometimes hard to stay motivated when you're not really working toward anything, but I promise you it will be worth it in the end.
#6 Remember that VCE/HSC is but a single door
Spoiler
Clichéd, but relevant. Try not to get too worked up about (not) getting into your dream course. VCE/HSC is by no means the end of the road. If you miss the requirements for a particular course, it is very often the case that you will be able to transfer in subsequent years. Don't give up!
#7 Choose subjects about which you are passionate
Spoiler
Sometimes it's hard to be motivated to study. That's understandable. Everybody, to some degree, experiences that feeling where you know that you probably should do some work, but you're just not in the right mood (or, if like me, you would rather play FIFA). I'm in that non-study mood right now! Choosing subjects you think you will enjoy will make this less of a concern. Conversely, choosing subjects just because your friends are doing them, or because you think you ought to choose them, may result in a lack of motivation.

My experience: I chose subjects which many would regard to be 'easy'. In reality, it is no easier to do well in them, all things considered. I was substantially more interested in, say, Health and Human Development than Methods, and Visual Communication & Design than Chemistry, and I chose appropriately. Do I regret it? Not for a second.
#8 Ignore scaling
Spoiler
It means nothing. Subjects scale for a reason, and if you perform well enough in a subject that scales down a lot, it renders scaling entirely irrelevant.
#9 Uni extension subject
Spoiler
I'm not particularly qualified to give advice on this, as I didn't do a uni extension subject myself, but I did consider it. It's important to consider all options, and according to numerous people I know who did do an extension subject, it is largely a rewarding experience, and gives a great insight into uni life.
#10 Surround yourself with good people
Spoiler
I think we are influenced by those around us more than what is generally acknowledged. Surround yourself with dedicated, committed people, and you will go a long way to realising your potential. If that means sitting away from your friends in class, so be it.
#11 3/4 in Year 11
Spoiler
Why not? You have nothing to lose. There are numerous benefits: you get the experience of completing a 3/4 subject, you get the extra 10% on your ATAR, you can learn from your achievements and from your mistakes.

My experience: I did Business Management 3/4 in Year 11. In hindsight, it was particularly dry, and if I had the choice, I wouldn't do it again. But I would definitely undertake a 3/4 subject in Year 11. In fact, if my school had allowed me, I would have done two. If the chance is there, grab it!
#12 Prioritise
Spoiler
If you do choose to undertake a (or multiple) 3/4 subject(s) in Year 11, remember that it is, ultimately, more important than your 1/2 subjects. That's not to say that you shouldn't try in your Year 11 subjects (they are, after all, a good foundation for Year 12), but if you only have time to revise for one or the other, I know which one I would be studying for!
#13 Separate work and rest areas
Spoiler
It is important for your mental state to differentiate between where you're going to work and where you're going to chill. If you're trying to revise on your bed, it may be tempting to go to sleep and dream about Year 12 being over, or Melbourne actually winning a game in the footy for once.

My experience: I tried to work at school as much as possible, because I liked home to be relaxing. If that's not feasible for you, try separating rooms. This does not have to be religiously followed, but I find that if you sit down to work in a designated work area, you're half the way to completing a good study session.
#14 Find a study space that works for you
Spoiler
There's no point trying to study in a space where you are likely to get distracted easily. Remember that one hour of solid study is likely to be more beneficial than four hours of "study", where you're really more interested in whom Person X made out with on the weekend, or what Person Y said to Person Z at lunch. What worked for me? The soothing silence of the library's back corner before school, and the usually-deserted VCE/HSC Centre after school.
#15 Be kind to yourself
Spoiler
Year 12 is a stressful year for all involved. There is no point being hard on yourself, because it will only make you more stressed. Didn't do as well as you wanted on a SAC? That's okay; use it as a learning experience for the next one. Falling behind in Methods and have no desire to learn about simultaneous equations? No problem - go for a walk and come back to it soon.
#16 Our old friend procrastination
Spoiler
Trust me, I found myself aimlessly opening the fridge in the hope that something had magically appeared in the thirty seconds since I had last checked as much as anybody (particularly just before exams). Different people combat procrastination in different ways. I tried to avoid situations in which distractions were many (see tip #13).
#17 Try not to compare yourself with your peers
Spoiler
It's tempting to compare yourself with the people around you, or even others on ATAR Notes. But remember this: some people may be aiming for 99.95, some to pass VCE/HSC, and others still couldn't care less about what they achieve. It's trivial to compare yourself to others because at the end of the day, everybody will have different goals. And, in the end, thinking about what other people are doing is only going to distract you from what is important - you.
#18 Be organised
Spoiler
I hate organising my entire week in timetables before it has even started. It makes me feel confined, but everybody is different. If you are motivated by knowing that you have things to do at a particular time, then great! I prefer checklists because a) I know precisely what I have to do,
 and b) there are no time-barriers, so I don't feel under too much pressure. Regardless, it is important to stay on top of what you have to do.
#19 Try to keep perspective
Spoiler
VCE/HSC is a game, and not much else. A four digit number by no means defines you.
#20 Embrace the experience
Spoiler
VCE/HSC isn't always fun, but you only get one (for most people) shot at it. If you're that kind of person, why not apply for a leadership position?
 Even if you're not that kind of person, why not apply for a leadership position?

My experience: I am very quiet at the best of times. I would much rather stay home and read a book than actually converse with a peer, but I enjoyed my role as a school leader in my final year. I consolidated some good friendships and felt a much greater connection with the school. I found it very satisfying, but admittedly it's not for everybody.
#21 Trust what you know works for you
Spoiler
Because, well, you know it works!

My experience: We had a guy come in to talk to us at the start of Year 12. He was an inspirational speaker. He told us all that we could only use folders with loose leaf paper - strictly no exercise books, which I had used for all of my schooling. I listened to his suggestion and took his advice on board,
 but I stuck to my guns. I knew what worked for me, and it continued to work for me.
#22 Use rewards as motivation
Spoiler
Operant conditioning, for all of my Psychology friends! Motivating yourself with rewards can be a great way of getting through an extra five minutes, or reading one more chapter.
#23 Sleep well
Spoiler
Important and extremely underrated. A night of good sleep is an excellent launching pad for the next day, particularly if you have an upcoming SAC or exam. I essentially never studied after 5-6pm, and went to bed early every night.
#24 Eat well
Spoiler
As above. The healthier you are in Year 12, the better you will feel, the more you will be able to concentrate, and the more effective your study will be.
#25 Be consistent
Spoiler
Year 12 is a bit of a slog, but it becomes easier once you break it down into sections. Study for each SAC, keeping in mind how that content relates to broader concepts that run throughout the course. Consider this: if you study well for one SAC and score 18/20, then lose focus for a bit and score 6/20, it's going to be difficult to catch up and learn the content you missed. I think it's much better to score 12/20 each time, and learn from your mistakes in each SAC.
#26 Be prepared
Spoiler
It's important to go into each SAC and exam knowing (roughly) what to expect. Also important is preparation of stationery etc.; you don't want to be frantically searching for a pen that works with five minutes left!

My experience: I simply used a small zip-lock bag with everything I needed. I had two, actually, one of which I kept at school (just in case I had a SAC and I forgot to bring my exam pens!). #nerdlife
#27 Keep doing what you love doing
Spoiler
Maybe you love playing music, or love playing sport, or love watching the ever-so-brilliant David Mitchell (he truly is a beautiful man). I believe that if you love doing these things, it would be detrimental to stop doing them. There will surely be times when you will need to prioritise, and perhaps reduce your load, but everybody needs to relieve stress by doing something they enjoy.
#28 Find study techniques that work for you
Spoiler
Everybody is different, and everybody learns differently. If you're musical, try turning your notes into a song. If you're a visual learner, make posters and colour-coordinate your notes.
#29 Read
Spoiler
It doesn't matter what you read, so long as it is stimulating and enjoyable.

My experience: I read both major papers each morning before school, and used the time to relax before the day really started. It put me in a good frame of mind, and on numerous occasions, I could use articles I read to aid my studies in English Language.
#30 Work with your peers
Spoiler
So you're competing with everybody around you - I understand that - but at the end of the day, I think it's easier to keep motivation if you have others around you with common goals. If you work well in a group, then start study groups. If you're like me, and try to avoid social interaction at all costs, I hear that the interwebz is a great resource! Why not interact with the great people at ATAR Notes instead? And think about this: the better the people in your cohort perform in their exams, the more likely you are to have your SAC scores scaled up!
#31 Take initiative
Spoiler
Okay, maybe don't take it as far as I did (I had many animated conversations (okay, very animated (okay, they were arguments)) with teachers about my marks), but it's important to understand how you can improve. After each SAC, work out what you can do differently next time to get better. Try to understand your mistakes so that you can turn your weaknesses into strengths for the exam(s)!
#32 Respect your mood
Spoiler
One of my favourite teachers from school is an absolutely brilliant artist. I asked him once what he did when he didn't feel like painting - how he kept motivation - and his answer was simple, but telling. He said, "When I don't feel like painting, I don't paint." Year 12 is similar; there are going to be times when you're frustrated, or angry, or sad. Contrary to what some may say, I suggest not trying to push through. Take a time-out, instead.
 Get your head right, and try again later on.

My experience: I went against my own advice and, on occasion, tried to push myself through these emotional barriers. I'm not saying that you should only study when you feel like it, because you may never feel like it. But if you're genuinely upset, I have found that trying to work only compounds the issue. Year 12 should not be a priority over your mental health.
#33 Use your teachers
Spoiler
I referred to my teachers a lot throughout the year. If they were willing to mark my practice exams, I would do as many as I could to take advantage of their goodwill. Even better if nobody else could be bothered doing them! Their job is to help you. Your job is, for lack of a less violent phrase, take advantage of them at every opportunity.
#34 You are not defined by your school
Spoiler
Anybody can succeed in VCE/HSC. Keep in mind that you don't have to be the best to succeed, nor do you have to attend the best school.
#35 Don't fall into the 'one subject' trap
Spoiler
You may really love a subject, but that doesn't mean that you should use 100% of your time on it.

My experience: I spent way too much time throughout the year on my Visual Communication folios. I completely neglected Further, justifying it because the former would definitely be in my top 4, whereas the latter definitely would not. In the end, I used my Further lessons to work more on folios.
 I full-marked both of my folios. Great idea, huh? No. Bad idea. My end results? VCD: 44, Further: 45.
#36 Doing a folio? Front-load your work!
Spoiler
You do not want to be using time (... especially Further periods) to do a lot of work on your folio instead of revising for exams. Let me repeat that: you do not want to be using time to do a lot of work on your folio instead of revising for exams.

My experience: I did Visual Communication & Design (I dropped Art in Year 11, as I didn't want two folio subjects). I lost sleep over it, sure - I didn't sleep at all the night before my folio was due - but I was most definitely not the worst; one of my friends didn't sleep for about three days. Obviously,
 this is not an ideal outcome, and to avoid it, I am almost begging you to do as much of your folio as you can, as early as you can.
#37 Consider tuition
Spoiler
But in no way is it necessary.

My experience: I had a tutor in Year 11, but felt I didn't need one for any of my Year 12 subjects. It worked fine for me.
#38 Write effectively, efficiently
Spoiler
It's all well and good to know the content of a course like the back of your hand, but if you can't write quickly enough to portray that knowledge in your exam(s), your knowledge will be rendered (partially) redundant. If you're not a naturally quick writer, I think it is worthwhile to practise writing essays and extended responses within a particular timeframe. All other variables equal, I can guarantee that the student who knows how to write effectively and efficiently will get better marks than the student who labours over each word.

My experience: I spent a fair bit of time trying to perfect my exam writing. A significant portion of this was teaching myself how to write quickly. My work resulted in finishing each exam with just enough time left to have a very brief look over what I had written to make sure I hadn't made any obvious errors.
#39 Practice exams
Spoiler
In my opinion, there is no better source of revision. Once you feel semi-confident with a subject's content, complete as many practice exams as you feel necessary. Note that last bit: as you feel necessary. Just because one person does 30, doesn't mean that you should do 31. It's a very individual thing, and quantity is definitely not as effective as quality. Don't be afraid to do an exam more than once if you run out of new ones!

My experience: I started practice exams even before I was confident with the content. To begin with, I completely the exams not time-bound and open book, and completed them over the course of several days. Gradually, I took away my notes, started to time myself, and eventually completed the exams in exam conditions. Ease yourself in. Make sure you mark every paper you do - otherwise they're not very useful! And for a second opinion,
 get your teachers to mark as many as possible (see tip #33).
#40 How about an end-of-year revision lecture?
Spoiler
Revision lectures can be a great way of solidifying knowledge and being exposed to great advice. I found the more useful for subject-specific exam hints, many of which I implemented. I hear that ATAR Notes hosts some banger free lectures. ;)
#41 Reading time
Spoiler
Reading time is crucial. It will differ between subjects, but I think this general advice holds: don't waste it. Use it to read each question - really read each question - and start to plan your answers for the first few questions. Reading time sets you up for the entire exam, and in my opinion separates the good papers from the great papers.

Original post
NOTE: To download the attached PDF, you'll first need to make a free ATAR Notes account, which takes about three seconds flat! You can do so here.

Then why not have a look over my 41 tips for VCE/HSC success?  :)

As I mention in the document attached, I graduated 18 months ago with an ATAR of 99.65 and study scores of 50, 48, 48, 45, 44 and 44. I also received an Australian Student Prize for my academic year in 2012.

On page 8, I have included a tl;dr (too long; didn't read) version for those of you who don't wish to read the entire document.

I am more than happy to answer any questions about my tips, school, uni, life in general, or anything else that comes to mind.  :)

Best of luck to you all and kind regards,
Nick.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:44:16 am by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
Re: HEY! Want to succeed in VCE?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:23:48 pm »
Thanks for that!
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

Tyleralp1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Braaaaaaap
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 08:36:28 pm »
Just had a good read of them. Definitely something worthwhile to consider and apply to my daily routine.

I guess the fact it comes from an ex-VCE student, who was a high achiever, means a hell of a lot more than those tips you see from large companies and the like.

Much appreciation you legend!! :D
The GOAL: Attain a RAW study score of 40+ in all my subjects.

Courses I would like to study in order of preference include: Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), Bachelor of Biomedicine or Bachelor of Science.

2014: Biology [42]
2015: English Language [??] | Chemistry [??] | Physics [??] | Mathematical Methods (CAS) [??] | Specialist Mathematics [??]

Jono_CP

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:08:20 pm »
Hey Joseph,

Congratulations on your tremendous ATAR score! (Worthwhile tips too).

I study very hard but I constantly come up short every single time. E.g. Further Maths I am failing, Eco + Pol in the 80's (not amazing at all, fairly average) and Bus Man. + Eng in the 90's (apparently not the hardest of subjects).

When you are studying in those last couple of days before a SAC, do you ever type your notes up? Or is it just basically flash cards and writing hard-copy/loose-leaf?

I find what works for me is to work for at least 2 weeks before an upcoming SAC, however (and this is really unfortunate), I have realised that the last few days before a SAC are even more crucial for me, even though I do the work beforehand. E.g. 10 hours or something right before a SAC date usually gives me a chance - but it is just annoying when you work so hard beforehand.

Also, I was quite inspired at the start when you implied that not everything went your way in terms of health. I can relate to this massively, and this affected my Year 11 study score for Rev's which was 36. It is no where near a big problem for me now, but what kind of things would you do to keep prioritising your health over VCE whilst still aiming for those incredible marks?

Thank you!

more_vanilla

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 10:17:57 pm »
Thanks for sharing! Just wondering how you managed to motivate yourself to read the newspaper? I've been telling myself to do so for the last year and a half but .. Hahaha 😅
2014: Psychology, Accounting
2015: Methods, Further, EngLang, HHD, UMEP Accounting

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 07:57:56 pm »
+3
Thanks for that!

No problem!  :)

Quote from: Tyleralp1
Just had a good read of them. Definitely something worthwhile to consider and apply to my daily routine.

I guess the fact it comes from an ex-VCE student, who was a high achiever, means a hell of a lot more than those tips you see from large companies and the like.

Much appreciation you legend!! :D

That's great, thanks for the feedback!

Quote from: Jono_CP
Hey Joseph,

Congratulations on your tremendous ATAR score! (Worthwhile tips too).

I study very hard but I constantly come up short every single time. E.g. Further Maths I am failing, Eco + Pol in the 80's (not amazing at all, fairly average) and Bus Man. + Eng in the 90's (apparently not the hardest of subjects).

When you are studying in those last couple of days before a SAC, do you ever type your notes up? Or is it just basically flash cards and writing hard-copy/loose-leaf?

I find what works for me is to work for at least 2 weeks before an upcoming SAC, however (and this is really unfortunate), I have realised that the last few days before a SAC are even more crucial for me, even though I do the work beforehand. E.g. 10 hours or something right before a SAC date usually gives me a chance - but it is just annoying when you work so hard beforehand.

Also, I was quite inspired at the start when you implied that not everything went your way in terms of health. I can relate to this massively, and this affected my Year 11 study score for Rev's which was 36. It is no where near a big problem for me now, but what kind of things would you do to keep prioritising your health over VCE whilst still aiming for those incredible marks?

Thank you!

Thanks very much!

Firstly, I wouldn't worry too much about your specific marks, as a whole range of factors (difficulty of your school's SACs etc.) can come into play here.

In Year 12, I never typed my notes; I wanted as much practice as possible writing by hand in preparation for my exams. Whilst most of my peers were using laptops, I stuck to pen and paper. This is really up to the individual; I just felt more comfortable that way. I have changed for uni, and I now type my notes on occasion, so I don't think one method is inherently better than the other.

If you're finding that your previous study doesn't really work, perhaps you should consider changing the way in which you study. How could you alter your technique so that you remember more information? Perhaps you could try linking the content to topics you already know so that the information is encoded semantically. Alternatively, you could try getting tested a week or two before your SAC so that you solidify the knowledge at an earlier date.

It's great to hear that your health issues are not as severe as last year! Well done.  :) I have found that since I started to focus on my health, my marks have actually improved. I feel more at ease with myself and can concentrate more effectively. The specific ways in which one puts their health over their studies will be highly dependent on that individual, but for me, there is a large emphasis on taking a lot of breaks (from everything, not just studying) and social relationships.

Quote from: more_vanilla
Thanks for sharing! Just wondering how you managed to motivate yourself to read the newspaper? I've been telling myself to do so for the last year and a half but .. Hahaha 😅

Not a problem at all!

I actually had a similar problem for a couple of years before Year 12. I started reading the parts of the paper that I found most interesting (so, sport, and that's it). Gradually, I changed from starting at the back of the paper to the front, and I actually found all of the stories very interesting. I made a conscious effort, too; I ensured that I arrived at school early enough to have time to read the paper in peace. The library at school provided both The Age and The Herald Sun, so it was easy to access them. If your school does not do this, perhaps you could suggest it, or organise alternative arrangements. Alternatively, you could read parts of the paper online (although I've never been a fan of reading off screens).

Thank you all for your responses!

Kind regards,
Nick.

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 08:26:15 pm »
No problem!  :)

That's great, thanks for the feedback!

Thanks very much!

Firstly, I wouldn't worry too much about your specific marks, as a whole range of factors (difficulty of your school's SACs etc.) can come into play here.

In Year 12, I never typed my notes; I wanted as much practice as possible writing by hand in preparation for my exams. Whilst most of my peers were using laptops, I stuck to pen and paper. This is really up to the individual; I just felt more comfortable that way. I have changed for uni, and I now type my notes on occasion, so I don't think one method is inherently better than the other.

If you're finding that your previous study doesn't really work, perhaps you should consider changing the way in which you study. How could you alter your technique so that you remember more information? Perhaps you could try linking the content to topics you already know so that the information is encoded semantically.

Psychology reference ! Semantic encoding is the deepest level of processing and is encoding based on meaning
Hahah, sorry, I couldn't resist ! & besides, constant revision is the key to success ;)
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 08:55:25 pm »
+1
Psychology reference ! Semantic encoding is the deepest level of processing and is encoding based on meaning
Hahah, sorry, I couldn't resist ! & besides, constant revision is the key to success ;)

You know it!  :D Thank you, Craik & Lockhart!

Jono_CP

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 09:21:24 pm »
Forgive me,

In layman's terms, what is semantic encoding?

Thank you!

el8

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 09:48:22 pm »
Very helpful thank you!!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 04:41:35 pm »
+1
Forgive me,

In layman's terms, what is semantic encoding?

Thank you!

Semantic encoding refers to information being remembered via association with its meaning. For example, to learn the word "red" semantically, you would link it with the concept of colour, other colours, or objects which you knew to be red. Alternatively, you could encode the word "red" visually (by remembering what each individual letter looks like), or phonemically (how it sounds).

Quote from: el8
Very helpful thank you!!

A pleasure.  :)

DanielJ

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: Western Heights College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 09:54:55 pm »
Great guide but #28 is the one to follow. Spend time in YR11 or early YR12 to find what really works for you. Personally, I find that doing 4-6 hours of homework every second day, with 1-3 hours each day between, works for me. Like the tips say, remind yourself why you're doing the work and what you'll get out of it.
2013: Physics 37-->39.6
2014: Specialists 39-->50.36
          Methods 42 -->46.83
          Further 46-->45.07
          Chemistry 36-->40.54
          English 30-->27.75

Lets ah.. never speak about english again?

ATAR of 95.00
DUX of Western Heights College 2014

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 02:08:02 pm »
Great guide but #28 is the one to follow. Spend time in YR11 or early YR12 to find what really works for you. Personally, I find that doing 4-6 hours of homework every second day, with 1-3 hours each day between, works for me. Like the tips say, remind yourself why you're doing the work and what you'll get out of it.

Thanks for the feedback! It's great that you have found something that works for you.

Best of luck!  :)

Celeste98

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 02:53:49 pm »
Thank you sooo much for sharing :) All the best to you in Uni!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 02:56:52 pm »
+3
Thank you sooo much for sharing :) All the best to you in Uni!

No problem.  :)

And thank you. As of June 19, I am halfway through my course. Time flies when you're writing tips on how to succeed in VCE!