Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 03, 2024, 12:17:55 pm

Author Topic: Undergrad vs JD  (Read 1990 times)  Share 

j-awad11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
  • School: Kilbreda College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Undergrad vs JD
« on: March 29, 2014, 09:26:18 pm »
So I have my info about the JD but I was just wondering if there's any real point in trying to get into undergrad Law seeing as I'll be graduating my BA mid-2015. What is the best way to go?

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: Undergrad vs JD
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 05:18:49 am »
In what regards? Which one is more prestigious/looks better? Which one has more effort? Which one has less letters in the title?

If you mean via a transfer, the further you get into your current degree, the harder it will be to transfer in some ways (credit concerns, structure, slack time). Also, you are usually prohibited from transferring if you have less than a semester to go in your degree. So, basically, you'd need to get a mid year transfer (i.e. right now).

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

j-awad11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 04:59:03 pm »
Yea, that's what I'm thinking, because they don't always do mid-year transfer and I have one more year after this semester till I'm done with Arts, so I was just thinking. I know the JD isn't guaranteed entry, but I wanted to know if its better to wait and have a Masters under my belt or just try and get undergrad.

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 05:16:30 pm »
Yea, that's what I'm thinking, because they don't always do mid-year transfer and I have one more year after this semester till I'm done with Arts, so I was just thinking.

I'm confused what you mean here. So, basically, by the end of semester 1, 2015 (i.e. next year) you will have finished your degree.  You currently have three semesters left then - The current one (finishing in june), semester 2 this year (finishing in novemberish) and semester one next year (finishing again in June).

If you apply to transfer, you must do it immediately (to commence in S2, 2014). If you do not, you'll have to leave it til the end of this year, by then, you would have finished 2/3 of your semesters (only leaving 1 semester left next year). According to the general rules, you are not allowed to transfer with only one semester left. So, if you apply at the end of this year, it will be denied (because you only have one full semester left after your application is lodged).

I don't know if its a university wide policy or law has exceptions, as a general rule though, given your current situation, unless you apply for mid-year transfer (to start law in Semester 2, 2014), you will not be able to apply at all (unless you pull some kind of trick to extend your number of semesters, there are a few conceivable ones). Essentially, unless you artificially extend your number of remaining semester OR if the law faculty does not rule out applicants with only a semester remaining, in my opinion, i dont think your application will succeed (unless i am confused about the rules).

I'm not sure what you mean by getting a masters, care to explain that comment a bit more?

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 05:36:29 pm »
I'm confused, why does it have to be a mid-year transfer, why not apply at the start of 2015 to transfer into arts/law?
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

j-awad11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 06:02:10 pm »
Sorry for the confusion..
I was just asking whether (being that I graduate from Arts mid-2015) I should try and transfer into Arts/Law (mid-year if I get in), or if I should just finish out my degree and apply for the Juris Doctor.

ninwa

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 06:18:37 pm »
Yeah but I'm asking why you can't apply for a start of the year transfer, given that law doesn't usually do mid-years?

j-awad11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 07:10:29 pm »
Yeah I can do this, but S1 2015 will be my last semester before I graduate from BA.

ninwa

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 07:23:27 pm »
Well, why don't you apply for transfer to BA/LLB for semester 1 2015 and apply for the JD as well in case you don't get in?

j-awad11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 07:32:53 pm »
Yeah I was thinking of doing this anyway :) I know the JD has trimesters instead of semesters but are you allowed to apply for say the May intake even though you might not have had your exams yet? Or would you have to wait until the next intake?

ninwa

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 08:04:13 pm »
Ask the law fac, only they can give you an answer

For all Future Student Enquiries please contact us on Ph: 1800 MONASH (1800 666 274) or submit an enquiry online.

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 08:28:15 pm »
For my case they had to get a confirmation that my undergrad was completed before finalizing an offer. So I doubt you would be able to get into a May intake.
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash