Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 09:12:29 pm

Author Topic: UoM 2014 Jaffy Tips Thread  (Read 21363 times)  Share 

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
UoM 2014 Jaffy Tips Thread
« on: January 20, 2014, 06:18:36 pm »
+8
Thought we might help those poor first year outs.

First things first, check out these amazing blogs (a few of which are written/participated in by friends of mine so admittedly shameless plugging): 
https://airport.unimelb.edu.au/first_year/
http://unimelbadventures.wordpress.com/

They're each really helpful in finding your feet at the University of Melbourne.

Second tip is to make the most of Academic Advice Day and O-Week. Dive into everything and talk to as many people as you can. Make friends! Fun times are to be had. Same goes for when you start classes, just start chatting to the people next to you in lectures and tutes.

Thirdly, if you have any course related questions, check out the website for your respective student centre as your first port of call. In most cases the answer you're looking for can be found there.

Another thing is, don't be intimidated at all by university study. From experience it's really not more difficult or onerous than high school was (and from what friends have told me this applies to all courses), if you're willing to work just as hard. As with anything it's just about setting goals and working towards them, but don't set goals for yourself that are lower than you normally would just because people try to scare you into thinking uni assessment is several steps above high school equivalent - it's not, they know where you're coming from.

Also, y'all should join clubs and societies. Make sure you find the ones that are suited to you.

I'll add more later. Other non-Jaffies, chip in.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:15:24 am by charmanderp »
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Ballerina

• well butter my bottom and call me a biscuit
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Riefe Sie dr Polizei!
  • Respect: +169
  • School: University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: UoM 2014 Jaffy Tips Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 07:52:57 pm »
+5
Hello jaffies I am going to Parkville and taking all your free food, stationary, and condoms during O-week  :-\ goodbye

P.S. Ask your heart out during the tutorials! After explaining foreign concepts, a tutor will often ask if any students have subsequent questions. Everyone does, but don't vocalize it (other than mature-age students, God bless) and the tutor moves onto the next convoluted topic which so happens to require the deranged logic from the previous topic. Ask! You're not alone.

And re-emphasizing the splendid point charmanderp made about initiating friendship. UoM is a very large institution, with larger class sizes than many other Victorian universities. Many other students will feel equally isolated.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:54:38 pm by Ballerina »

MelonBar

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:43:48 pm »
+3
i will extend a suggestion to join bhakti yoga club for a weekly serve of $1 vegan curry. also comes with delicious semolina
2012: VCE
2013-2015: BSc (Neuroscience) @ UoM

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:03:18 pm »
+1
Another thing is, don't be intimidated at all by university study. From experience it's really not more difficult or onerous than high school was (and from what friends have told me this applies to all courses), if you're willing to work just as hard. As with anything it's just about setting goals and working towards them, but don't set goals for yourself that are lower than you normally would just because people try to scare you into thinking uni assessment is several steps above high school equivalent - it's not, they know where you're coming from.

Also, y'all should join clubs and societies. Make sure you find the ones that are suited to you.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:06:54 pm by charmanderp »
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 12:54:36 am »

I don't know, many times of the year I felt way more stressed than I was during VCE. 
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 12:56:01 am »
+2
I heard the best way to pick up chicks it to grab a handful of condoms when they give you a couple, and wink at a group of girls next to you.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 01:34:31 am »
I heard the best way to pick up chicks it to grab a handful of condoms when they give you a couple, and wink at a group of girls next to you.

Is that what they teach at engineering school? I thought you guys were problem solvers....

Btw, best coffee = seven seeds. Nuff said.

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:51:05 am »
+4
I heard that the best way to make new friends is to start conversations with, "Hey there, what ATAR did you receive?"

2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 02:04:49 am »
Is that what they teach at engineering school? I thought you guys were problem solvers....

Women: man's greatest puzzle.

2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University

scribble

• is sexier than Cthulhu
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 02:23:39 am »
i will extend a suggestion to join bhakti yoga club for a weekly serve of $1 vegan curry. also comes with delicious semolina
THERES $1 VEGAN CURRY ON CAMPUS?!?!?! WHAT IS THIS WHY HAVE I NOT BEEN MADE AWARE OF IT SOONER?! *flipstable*

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 10:31:03 am »
I don't know, many times of the year I felt way more stressed than I was during VCE. 
Stress =/= difficulty, or at least not necessarily.

Hancock does engineering, he's probably never even met a girl before.

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 10:48:59 am »
Lel, seriously 4 girls in my Mech class out of 30. I keep up with female interaction from high school mates / girlfriend.
Or I could take the whole "Gender studies" breadth class thing.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 11:45:40 am »
I heard that the best way to make new friends is to start conversations with, "Hey there, what ATAR did you receive?"
In all seriousness though, no one do this. Don't even approach the topic of ATARs. No one could care less and everyone really just wants to leave all thought of VCE behind. It's okay to speak about them self-deprecatingly but for the most part bringing it up makes you sound like an ass and will alienate everyone from you.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 01:23:25 am »
So this is still a thing.

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 09:45:55 am »
And do you have to be part of a club to get free food? Because I heard something about SSS doing free bbq on Thursdays...

Worth signing up to the arts and science clubs $5 each for the year but barbeques for both and lower prices for different science/arts events
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.