Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 09:01:02 pm

Author Topic: Any tips for new comers to Psychology 3/4?  (Read 5680 times)  Share 

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
  • Wisdom begins in wonder
  • Respect: +24
Any tips for new comers to Psychology 3/4?
« on: November 19, 2013, 08:01:30 pm »
I literally know zilch about Psychology but I am interested in it. I am about to star Psych 3/4 on the Holidays which would be my first Year 12 subject. So how can I make the learning easier? Any tips for me to do well? I have not done 1/2 and I really want to do well in Psych! I am more scared that this is my first year 12 subject..............

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
Re: Any tips for new comers to Psychology 3/4?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 08:40:35 pm »
+1
- understand everything conceptually because the course is more and more becoming about applying your knowledge to different situations - its not just "define x" any more
- if you go home every night without fail and revise for just like an hour or two every single night, and take down notes and just learn it and read the examples, you will be very well prepared for sacs
- provided you studied well as above ^ go with your gut instinct on answers, and this is going to sound silly but dont spend ages nulling over a multiple choice question, too many times my friends and i didnt get full marks because i finished quickly, and when i was checking multi choice, i kept overthinking a question, it got to the point where i could justify EVERY possible answer and didnt know what to do LOL
- correct your practice exams and write down the examiners report examples !!! its very important how you word your answers !!
- its a pretty fun subject, just dont slack and do consistent work, i would recommend an hour each night or so, and then when you haev finished the entire topic that your next sac is on, go back and re make notes, test yourself, do past sacs, and read all the cool examples and stuff in the textbook (theres so many in the grivas one) it will help you understand things
- its much much better to fully understand each topic sequentially, because like if you dont know anything about the nervous system, the neural function of memory and stuff might not make full sense, and then conditioning might not make sense etc. learn it all really well the first time so when exam revision comes you can go back to your notes which should jog your memory which leads to the last point
- keep good notes all year, and make all your notes designed for future you to reference in exam preparation time !!! order it nicely too
- also remember to go through all the points on the study design at the end of the year and make sure you know them all !!!

good luck have fun !!

totaled

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:48:00 pm »
You don't really need to do 1/2 as most of it is unrelated to 3/4. Just make sure you read up on Research Methods, as well as make sure you memorise definitions and ensure you cover most of the topics thoroughly. As with all subjects, doing many practice papers is almost a necessity to do well.
ATAR: 99.90 (2011)
Currently studying Medicine at Monash

Currently in-taking students for 2015 in Mathematical Methods, Chemistry, and English in the SE suburbs (Glen Waverley area)

Doing VCE Psychology in 2015? You may want to check this out:
VCE Psychology Masterclass 2015

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:08:00 pm »
You don't really need to do 1/2 as most of it is unrelated to 3/4. Just make sure you read up on Research Methods, as well as make sure you memorise definitions and ensure you cover most of the topics thoroughly. As with all subjects, doing many practice papers is almost a necessity to do well.

Research Methods? Is that covered in 3/4 or do i need to revisit 1/2?

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:21:04 pm »
+1
all the research methods you need is in 3/4, dont even get any 1/2 stuff man its at the front of every 3/4 textbook- everything you need

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 10:29:39 pm »
all the research methods you need is in 3/4, dont even get any 1/2 stuff man its at the front of every 3/4 textbook- everything you need

alrght, I trust you.  1/2 is pretty useless I guess.

hannah2013

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 12:12:42 pm »
its an awesome subject! work hard but don't forget to have fun and really enjoy it because once its over you will miss it :)
2012: Theatre studies 41
2013: English 38| Methods 31 | Biology 37 | Legal studies 43 | Psychology 44 |

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 01:07:22 pm »
Get a strong understanding of research methods topics according to what's in the study design :) Also, make sure you know the content well enough so that you can explain it simply enough to someone who's not doing psych :P And also do the Q's in your textbook as you go along and make sure you do practice exams :) It's not all about content cramming but also application of that content! All the best! :D

and dw about not having done 1/2 psych! :) Just get a good grip on research methods on the holidays and you'll be just as prepared as those that did 1/2! :D
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

kawfee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 09:22:28 pm »
+3
- Print yourself a copy of the study design...essentially your 'Bible.' I cannot stress the importance of this, because it is a trust worthy guide and everything on it is examinable!
-Revise Research Methods over the summer holidays; make sure it's concrete ( Once again, refer to study design and check off everything once you've covered it) - I strongly suggest this...please!
- Use cue cards/mind maps (make sure everything is concise and dot point) And also, cue cards...you can carry them anywhere; ensures you are constantly revising
- Buy checkpoints!! (and Neap if ya want)
-Print all VCAA exams...yes all.
-Start working through the VCAA exams/checkpoints THROUGHOUT the year (LISTEN TO ME)...because I realised when doing this year's exam, a similar question was in the 2004 exam!!
- Do commercial exams as well, but give priority to VCAA
-Look at assessor's report, highlight sample responses and emulate it!!
-Know how to answer questions, look at exam.report, ask examiners/teachers/past students...answer accordingly (look at how many points allocated)
-Be precise, succinct, to the point and ANSWER the question
- Definitions, even tho not asked to include...in some questions, best to seamlessly incorporate it! It may be implied to do so.
-Examiner report; I highlighted important examples.
-Do not have a break with this subject; continually revise. So it's fresh. PLEASE.
-Study buddies; quiz eachother. Fun and effective! You learn from eachother.
-Note down your questions, ask teacher/peers/atarforum peeps :) IMPORTANT: NOTE AND RECTIFY YOUR MISTAKES.
- IMPORTANT: Keep a 'mistake' book..write down all mistakes from exams/exercises. And bloody make sure you don't repeat and look over your 'sample answer' and 'mistakes' book prior to the exam. Helped so much.
- Ask peopleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee things you don't get
- Watch youtube lessons on Psych; SOOSOSOOS HELPFUL :)
- Tip I found important and it worked for me: I related what I learnt with myself and things in my life. Psych is a eh very 'relatable' subject. When I did an activity, I thought about controlled and automatic processes...before I slept, I thought about things to do with sleep. Ha, call me weird and obsessive...but I couldn't help it and it sure did help me keep my neurons active, alive and firing :P

Good Luck, and practiceeeeeeeeeeeee really helps. buahahahaha, have fun memorising :B
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:29:58 am by kawfee »

mad_maxine

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
  • School: A random school
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 09:42:22 pm »
- Print yourself a copy of the study design...essentially your 'Bible.' I cannot stress the importance of this, because it is a trust worthy guide and everything on it is examinable!
-Revise Research Methods over the summer holidays; make sure it's concrete ( Once again, refer to study design and check off everything once you've covered it) - I strongly suggest this...please!
- Use cue cards/mind maps (make sure everything is concise and dot point) And also, cue cards...you can carry them anywhere; ensures you are constantly revising
-Start working through the VCAA exams/checkpoints THROUGHOUT the year (LISTEN TO ME)...because I realised when doing this year's exam, a similar question was in the 2004 exam!!
-Know how to answer questions, look at exam.report, ask examiners/teachers/past students...answer accordingly (look at how many points allocated)
- Definitions, even tho not asked to include...in some questions, best to seamlessly incorporate it! It may be implied to do so.
-Do not have a break with this subject; continually revise. So it's fresh. PLEASE.
-Note down your questions, ask teacher/peers/atarforum peeps :) IMPORTANT: NOTE AND RECTIFY YOUR MISTAKES.
- IMPORTANT: Keep a 'mistake' book..write down all mistakes from exams/exercises. And bloody make sure you don't repeat and look over your 'sample answer' and 'mistakes' book prior to the exam. Helped so much.
- Tip I found important and it worked for me: I related what I learnt with myself and things in my life. Psych is a eh very 'relatable' subject. When I did an activity, I thought about controlled and automatic processes...before I slept, I thought about things to do with sleep. Ha, call me weird and obsessive...but I couldn't help it and it sure did help me keep my neurons active, alive and firing :P

Good Luck, and practiseeeeeeeeeeeee really helps. buahahahaha, have fun memorising :B

Thanks for your insight, well said :-D sure u helped many of us in preparation for psych 3/4!!!

kawfee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 10:14:04 pm »
+1
You're welcome!

A bit more:

edit:
Should I go to TSFX/etc lectures and spend $$$?
Well I really cannot say. I only went to one...which was like for free; yeah call me a cheap ass.  But it did help me how to go about answering questions.
And also, I did buy lectures notes of someone...it was informative, and helpful (TSFX ones; they had great answers to questions which I noted down and also ways to remember things like for instance; to remember the functions/role of the temporal lobe, there was a pic of a drummer. Basically, drummer understanding words of lyrics (Wernicke's) and drummer sees friend in audience (recognition) etc-- so it is pre' helpful) :)
 If you don't want to pay $$ for lectures, it's ok...you can print off notes from atarnotes, like I did!. Some nice people have written down helpful and clear notes!!!
Fact: start of year, I wrote notes. Didn't work for me. I don't even have a proper Psych note book. I have copies of notes I printed out and notes that were passed down to me, I highlighted and memorised. Writing my own notes= waste of time and does not work for ME. (might work for you) Oh and TSFX general lectures, tell you this...that it's more effective or smth to use pre-written notes~
They also tell you to 'teach the dog'...HELPS ME!! I pretended to be a Psych class' teacher and taught my imaginary non existent students... :PPPPP It's works for me and it's engaging heheheo So go ahead, and teach your mum/dad/bleh or you imaginary cool ppl/pet~
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:15:49 pm by kawfee »

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 11:11:25 pm »

Good Luck, and practiseeeeeeeeeeeee really helps. buahahahaha, have fun memorising :B

Dam! That is allot to take in. I haven't even started 3/4 yet so i think should be my main focus but your tips are going to come in handy when it is time to revise. The mistake book is a really cool idea! 

mad_maxine

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
  • School: A random school
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 11:23:12 pm »
You're welcome!

A bit more:

edit:
Should I go to TSFX/etc lectures and spend $$$?
Well I really cannot say. I only went to one...which was like for free; yeah call me a cheap ass.  But it did help me how to go about answering questions.
And also, I did buy lectures notes of someone...it was informative, and helpful (TSFX ones; they had great answers to questions which I noted down and also ways to remember things like for instance; to remember the functions/role of the temporal lobe, there was a pic of a drummer. Basically, drummer understanding words of lyrics (Wernicke's) and drummer sees friend in audience (recognition) etc-- so it is pre' helpful) :)
 If you don't want to pay $$ for lectures, it's ok...you can print off notes from atarnotes, like I did!. Some nice people have written down helpful and clear notes!!!
Fact: start of year, I wrote notes. Didn't work for me. I don't even have a proper Psych note book. I have copies of notes I printed out and notes that were passed down to me, I highlighted and memorised. Writing my own notes= waste of time and does not work for ME. (might work for you) Oh and TSFX general lectures, tell you this...that it's more effective or smth to use pre-written notes~
They also tell you to 'teach the dog'...HELPS ME!! I pretended to be a Psych class' teacher and taught my imaginary non existent students... :PPPPP It's works for me and it's engaging heheheo So go ahead, and teach your mum/dad/bleh or you imaginary cool ppl/pet~

Hahaha lol thank you so much!!! Yeah, agree with all of the above, helped me immensely in legal this year, hope I can achieve similar results in psych!!! Sure with all ur amazing advice I will hahaha  ;)

kawfee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 07:51:50 am »
+1
:D that's great to know!

A few more things (hehe, since I dedicated a lot of time for this subject...I want to share my knowledge/experience/mistakes otherwise I will feel 'weird.' :s)

- I used both Grivas and Oxford textbook
- I personally prefer Oxford, because it is hmm...a bit more less wordy and clearer (someone wrote great notes from the Oxford book on atarnotes, go look 'em up- I used them)
- Yeah, so Grivas is wordwordswords...great examples tho; so I suggest to look at both books.
- You don't have to buy both, you could use the one your school uses, and just borrow the other from the library
-And SACs are important (I've heard varying opinions about this...but I think, that you should always ensure you do well on SACs ofc!)
-Make sure you get S.A questions as well as Section C responses corrected by your teacher/atarpeeps. And it's crucial you hone your research methods, S.A and section C skills~
-Oh and when you trial exams or even checkpoints, ensure you allocate time for the set amount of questions. For e.g: 20 checkpoints marks (questions)=10 minutes or 20 minutes (well ideally, 1 min per mark...but ofc work accurately and efficiently (speedily) ;D).
-because let me tell you, I may have worked my butt off...but on the day, my time management was a bit ~~~ ; yes you could say-> practiceeee and preparation = well on exam. But on the day it could be different, who knows... so really, I strongly suggest you focus on your timing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all...I think ;D  :-X :P

rebec28

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 09:59:03 pm »
I also did Psych as a 3&4 in year 11 this year. Doing it alongside methods 3&4 I hardly did any work but still managed to feel confident before sac and exams. My main tips are:
- Sometimes the theory is a bit confusing (not much though, usually its quite straightforward.) Go home and just read the textbook, or find key ideas read some notes people put up here.
- When you have quite a while before the next sac its good to do some mid-term revision and just write a glossary to make sure you are own track with all the terms.
- Before each sac make notes on key terms and details about them. Buy checkpoints and do the questions for the topic. Do the end of chapter questions in your text book. Thats all you really need to do.
- Before the exam go over each topic a day in the term 3 holidays, using your notes from sacs (or make new ones, easier to use the ones from throughout the year) then start doing any questions you can get your hands on, every few nights commit another topic to memory. Do it slowly over the month.
- Otherwise just enjoy psych, its a very interesting subject with minimal workload. Something that really helped me was just talking over the concepts with the teacher, or other students so you can really get your head around it.
In the end, its just a lot of information that can be characterised into simple terms and details. Organisation is the key. Enjoy, I would recommend psych to everyone