Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 08:22:49 pm

Author Topic: What do we have to know about an organisation?  (Read 2001 times)  Share 

Mr Keshy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Get in my Beamer Benz or Bentley
  • Respect: +68
  • School Grad Year: 2013
What do we have to know about an organisation?
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:28:11 pm »
So in the exam, we're often asked to refer to an LSO that we've studied throughout the year..

In dot points, what should we know about them?

(This question was asked in the 10 mark thread, thought I'd make a separate topic!)
Please... Call me Kesh

Subjects

English, Physics, Chemistry, Methods, Further, Business

Werewolf

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: -1
  • School: Sacred Heart College
Re: What do we have to know about an organisation?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:44:04 pm »
So in the exam, we're often asked to refer to an LSO that we've studied throughout the year..

In dot points, what should we know about them?

(This question was asked in the 10 mark thread, thought I'd make a separate topic!)

I'm struggling here too. Everyone I ask about it doesn't really know or they say something ambiguous 'just know about the organisation.'

I'm going to just learn all the possible things from every AOS about an organisation, in my case Toyota, in at least a small level of detail.

tcstudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 09:46:57 pm »
Well sometimes you are asked for the inputs outputs and processes of a large scale organisation you have stuided this year. so would be wise to learn the operations of a lso

need to know a large scale organisation that has changed recently, such as those investings into technologies to reduce their emissions thus could lead to resistance

probs needa know about an organastion that has been affected by external factors such as legislation or due to the poor economic conditions.

probs also needa know about an organisation that has been affected in the human resource area. maybe an organistion that is constantly in dispute about agreements. < since 2002 have not seen a vcaa exam about HRM and using a LSO in conjunction when answering.

i hope this is all you need to know because thats all i know right now lol.

Mr Keshy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 09:47:14 pm »
I've starting making a document containing information for mine, which is Ford.

I think you should too! Go onto the past exams for business and hit ctrl+f and search for the word "studied" copy the question down, and get information regarding it and put it into a document. :D
Please... Call me Kesh

Subjects

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: WCC
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 09:50:42 pm »
I did Samsung and I can easily relate it to the change issue of technological development. I made note of recent changes, Samsung has been through and pressures for change. I also did a bit on ethical and social responsibility and human resources. I couldn't find a lot on Operations. I hope they only ask something general (like change) relating to an organisation and  not something unusual like policy development.
2014 ATAR - 88

2015 sem 1 - Bachelor of Business (Accounting/Banking & Finance) - Monash

2015 sem 2 - Present: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance), Diploma of Languages (Chinese) - Monash

Mr Keshy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 09:54:50 pm »
I did Samsung and I can easily relate it to the change issue of technological development. I made note of recent changes, Samsung has been through and pressures for change. I also did a bit on ethical and social responsibility and human resources. I couldn't find a lot on Operations. I hope they only ask something general (like change) relating to an organisation and  not something unusual like policy development.

The 7 (or was it 9?) steps for creating/changing policies, was that unit 1/2 or 3/4? I really can't remember haha!
Please... Call me Kesh

Subjects

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 09:57:13 pm »
Hello, hello everyone!

So this year the 10 mark question may not even ask you about your organisation. But my suggestion is know 2-3. I studied one for my significant issue which was globalisation. I also studied 3 other organisations for questions that may ask about 'ethical practices'.
So here is what I think that you should know (please also refer to the study design as it is the best source as well as your wonderful teachers):
- The ethical practices or SRM at the particular organisation (if it is one you'll be using for ethics examples)
- The significant change that affected the organisation (if it is one you plan on relating to this)
- For operations questions think about IPO and what would this organisation use.
- Is the organisation a multi-national or no?

Also know some fun facts. I like fun facts they make writing about the organisation fun. You don't need to have an organisation for every single dot point. I am going to rant for a bit here. A lot of people think Business is about 'wrote-learning', sure for definitions and core concepts of it is, but for the majority it is applicational.

So basically business is around us every day, think about places you go and organisations you see. So if on Thursday the 10 marker has something to do with the elements of operations and your organisation doesn't fit, well then don't stress. So here is a quick example. Just think of Australia Post and their processes.
1. Inputs = mail and packages, as well as human labour and capital such as warehouses that control the distribution of mail.
2. Processes - Using automation to process the validity of mail and make it able to be sent
3. Output- Mail that may be delivered.

So don't stress. Just try to use your intuition and instinct. Know 3-4 organsations and if anything abnormal pops up you have 15 minutes of reading time to think about your last trip to Boost Juice!
2012-2013: VCE
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine at Monash University

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm on my daily grind. My 9-5.
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 09:59:12 pm »
The 7 (or was it 9?) steps for creating/changing policies, was that unit 1/2 or 3/4? I really can't remember haha!
Policy development is in unit 3. It may also be in units 1/2 but I wouldn't have a clue
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 10:00:14 pm »

Policy development has 8 steps.
1. Identify the problem or issue.
2. Analyse the business environment
3. Consult stakeholders.
4. Draft/create policy for review by stakeholder.
5. Revise and edit the policy
6. Approve and distribute the policy
7. Monitor the policy
8. Evaluate the policy

Werewolf

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 10:10:56 pm »
I've starting making a document containing information for mine, which is Ford.

I think you should too! Go onto the past exams for business and hit ctrl+f and search for the word "studied" copy the question down, and get information regarding it and put it into a document. :D

I just started making a huge as document for Toyota and just deleted it. I began studying all this stuff as people were saying it will be related to the policy process and all that, but I read the entire study design and change management is the only part of the study design that has anything to do with relating to an organisation that you have studied.

Werewolf

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 10:23:33 pm »
I am so fucking confused. Could VCAA be any more clear about what we have to know about a bloody organisation? I realised that with change management all we have to know is about a significant change issue, not an organisation. So what the fuck do we have to know about an organisation??? OMGGGGG

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 10:30:41 pm »
3. Consult stakeholders.
7. Monitor the policy
8. Evaluate the policy

My textbook is very similar to yours but has seven steps with steps 8 and 9 "monitor and evaluate" combined into a single policy. I'm sure VCAA accepts both, I hope.
2014 ATAR - 88

2015 sem 2 - Present: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance), Diploma of Languages (Chinese) - Monash

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 10:33:35 pm »
I am so fucking confused. Could VCAA be any more clear about what we have to know about a bloody organisation? I realised that with change management all we have to know is about a significant change issue, not an organisation. So what the fuck do we have to know about an organisation??? OMGGGGG

To be safe I would relate it to core concepts in unit 3/4 so a bit on HRM, operations (inputs, transformation, outputs), know what structure your organisation has, change (int/ext environment pressures) and ethics/Social responsibility
2014 ATAR - 88

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 10:34:56 pm »
My textbook is very similar to yours but has seven steps with steps 8 and 9 "monitor and evaluate" combined into a single policy. I'm sure VCAA accepts both, I hope.

Yeah I don't see VCAA being really too strict on something so small such as that. I would imagine it is okay to group steps 7 and 8 together. I just learnt it that way. It is very similar to other systematics processes sprinkled across our course which is nice.

Werewolf

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 10:46:37 pm »
3. Consult stakeholders.
7. Monitor the policy
8. Evaluate the policy

1. The pressure for change exists and is identified.
2. Research is conducted.
3. Stakeholders of the policy are consulted and their opinions are taken into consideration.
4. A draft policy is posted and circulated to all stakeholders, and any flaws should be corrected.
5. A finalised draft policy is posted and circulated to all stakeholders.
6. The policy is evaluated for it's effectiveness in targeting the source of pressure for it's existence.

Lol at how different ours are. I'm sticking with mine however. I think if you are talking about 'policy DEVELOPMENT' when in business management the policy will always be developed and finalised, there is no need for all the approvals, monitoring etc. and creating a draft policy/revise are the same in mine.

Oh well. :)