Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 07:20:28 pm

Author Topic: HELP / ADVICE??  (Read 6504 times)  Share 

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
HELP / ADVICE??
« on: July 27, 2013, 07:51:45 pm »
I'm going to be taking unit 3/4 T.T next year; what would be the best way to prepare for it? Any tips/advice would be very much appreciated.

Also, where can I find sample essays (or any texts relevant) to read? (preferably of section IV).

Thank you in advance  :)

sasa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Bananas
  • Respect: +4
  • School: Academy of Mary Immaculate
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: HELP / ADVICE??
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:19:19 pm »
Hi!

I did texts: Luke last year and absolutely loved it! (even though I don't particularly adore religion) ;P The course itself was amazing but the exam.......I think we were trolled 0_0

You can most definitely start looking at background information NOW (your first SAC will usually be around "background" of the gospel) and read some of Daniel Boch's stuff (he's the only worthwhile analytical theologian in my opinion, the rest contradict themselves too much).

I don't know if you have your special passages yet, but if you do, read them. Also, for Luke, 4:18 - 19 is the key of what Luke is about sooooo...read that.

Also, you'll find Unit 3 to be extremely easy (I got A+ on all my SACs with minimal studying), but when it comes to Unit 4....I thought I was going to die...literally, so don't be surprised if you're doing triple what you did in unit 3, in unit 4 (in terms of workload). :D

Finally, for essays and stuff - VCAA. However, I will point out that special passages deliberately change every year, so there is no point in reading exegesis analytical pieces on passages which are not in your special passages as the exegesis passages are based on the chapters for special study. However, for the essay, they could ask you anything and I mean ANYTHING in the gospel...and THAT's worth 30 out of 90 marks (30 for short answer, 30 for exegesis and 30 for the essay).

Good luck! If you need anything, I'm happy to help :D
If you don't know the answer to a question, chances are it has something to do with changing the surface area to volume ratio or resonance.

Lolly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:47:42 pm »
I'm going to be taking unit 3/4 T.T next year; what would be the best way to prepare for it?

Cry.

Apologies, I've really disliked texts this year, but don't let my jaded judgement prevent you from enjoying it. I think that the best thing you can do is a) read your Gospel/whatever religious text you're studying  b) start memorising where the chapters are and c) memorise verses and their reference numbers. And read commentaries. Read allll the commentaries.
Unit 4 was harder for me but only because we weren't allowed to have ref. notes and I had to memorise a lot.  *eyeballs melt*

Good luck. :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:03:33 am by lollymatron »

sasa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Bananas
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 11:12:59 pm »
Lollymatron, woah!! Breathe! No. You do not need to know reference numbers in the exam, just important ones (even then it's a bit sketchy) :) the examiners don't expect you (who I assume to be studying your particular gospel only for this year) to know all the references off by heart when THEY DON'T. so...chill. I know a girl who got 47 raw, topped the state and did not put a single reference in. You can refer to passages by their reference, or their commonly known name (i.e. the Annunciation), just as long as the examiners KNOW what you're talking about.

Also, no, commentaries are for individual use only and do not contribute to the exam. However, one or two good quotes wouldn't hurt for certain chapters, in particular for the essay. Otherwise, nope, don't stress. Stop reading commentaries and memorising and start actually DOING exegeses and essays.

You can memorise all you want but realistically with texts, you won't know what they'll ask you on the exam (despite what teachers may say in order to comfort their students) until you get in to the exam 0-0

If you don't know the answer to a question, chances are it has something to do with changing the surface area to volume ratio or resonance.

sasa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Bananas
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 11:14:40 pm »
And also, YOU GUYS WERE ALLOWED TO HAVE REFERENCES IN YOUR UNIT 3 SACS??!! Ok, now I just feel cheated....  :'(

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:38:44 pm »
Hi!

I did texts: Luke last year and absolutely loved it! (even though I don't particularly adore religion) ;P The course itself was amazing but the exam.......I think we were trolled 0_0

You can most definitely start looking at background information NOW (your first SAC will usually be around "background" of the gospel) and read some of Daniel Boch's stuff (he's the only worthwhile analytical theologian in my opinion, the rest contradict themselves too much).

I don't know if you have your special passages yet, but if you do, read them. Also, for Luke, 4:18 - 19 is the key of what Luke is about sooooo...read that.

Also, you'll find Unit 3 to be extremely easy (I got A+ on all my SACs with minimal studying), but when it comes to Unit 4....I thought I was going to die...literally, so don't be surprised if you're doing triple what you did in unit 3, in unit 4 (in terms of workload). :D

Finally, for essays and stuff - VCAA. However, I will point out that special passages deliberately change every year, so there is no point in reading exegesis analytical pieces on passages which are not in your special passages as the exegesis passages are based on the chapters for special study. However, for the essay, they could ask you anything and I mean ANYTHING in the gospel...and THAT's worth 30 out of 90 marks (30 for short answer, 30 for exegesis and 30 for the essay).

Good luck! If you need anything, I'm happy to help :D

Great advice; Cheers!! :)

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 10:40:05 pm »

Cry.

Apologies, I've really disliked texts this year, but don't let my jaded judgement prevent you from enjoying it. I think that the best thing you can do is a) read your Gospel/whatever religious text you're studying  b) start memorising where the chapters are and c) memorise verses and their reference numbers. And read commentaries. Read allll the commentaries.
Unit 4 was harder for me but only because we weren't allowed to have ref. notes and I had to memorise a lot.  *eyeballs melt*

Also, if you have a teacher who is particularly conservative and you're not, it's entertaining to have debates. Keeps the class interesting. :)

Good luck. :)

Appreciate the advice; thanks!! :)

Lolly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 12:15:31 am »
Lollymatron, woah!! Breathe! No. You do not need to know reference numbers in the exam, just important ones (even then it's a bit sketchy) :) the examiners don't expect you (who I assume to be studying your particular gospel only for this year) to know all the references off by heart when THEY DON'T. so...chill. I know a girl who got 47 raw, topped the state and did not put a single reference in. You can refer to passages by their reference, or their commonly known name (i.e. the Annunciation), just as long as the examiners KNOW what you're talking about.

Also, no, commentaries are for individual use only and do not contribute to the exam. However, one or two good quotes wouldn't hurt for certain chapters, in particular for the essay. Otherwise, nope, don't stress. Stop reading commentaries and memorising and start actually DOING exegeses and essays.

You can memorise all you want but realistically with texts, you won't know what they'll ask you on the exam (despite what teachers may say in order to comfort their students) until you get in to the exam 0-0

Hey Lisa,

Don't worry, I'm definitely doing exegeses and essays!! :) The commentaries just help in consolidating an interpretation of the Gospel I'm studying. I've read the examiner's report and yeah it was kind of sketchy re: specific references. In the 2012 exam report it said that higher scoring responses often had direct references and this often allowed students to discuss the text in more detail, but it wasn't mandatory. However it did mention that there were high scoring responses without direct references so idk. XD XD Our teacher keeps emphasising that we have to know verse references as much as we can for the chapters for special study, but if we can't remember exactly it's fine to just allude to the chapter, etc.

Also, yes the exam questions are quite unpredictable 0_0 although I think that some memory work would help with verses, and scholar's quotes.

sasa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Bananas
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 12:49:38 am »

Hey Lisa,

Don't worry, I'm definitely doing exegeses and essays!! :) The commentaries just help in consolidating an interpretation of the Gospel I'm studying. I've read the examiner's report and yeah it was kind of sketchy re: specific references. In the 2012 exam report it said that higher scoring responses often had direct references and this often allowed students to discuss the text in more detail, but it wasn't mandatory. However it did mention that there were high scoring responses without direct references so idk. XD XD Our teacher keeps emphasising that we have to know verse references as much as we can for the chapters for special study, but if we can't remember exactly it's fine to just allude to the chapter, etc.

Also, yes the exam questions are quite unpredictable 0_0 although I think that some memory work would help with verses, and scholar's quotes.

It does sound like you're on the right track, however take it easy, yeah? Also, my point with references as I have already mentioned: memorise ONLY the important ones. Texts is only partly about memory: the other part is about how you can interpret the meaning of the passage to Luke's wider community (or John's, depending on what you're doing), which you should be getting in class. This is. The reason why I'm so shocked about you learning the commentaries is because your understanding should come from class ....not what some scholar said.

Also, my Texts teacher wrote the Texts course, I consolidated with her today and she said it is perfectly fine to say "some scholars say" in your essay if you don't remember a particular scholar's name. I did that for my essay...didn't have a problem. Also, for exegeses, do you guys follow CBLTM structure?

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 02:06:14 pm »
What is the purpose of looking at past exams for T.T (other than getting an idea of the structure) if the texts change every year?

90+FTW

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 11:38:48 pm »
Well I did Luke's Gospel this year. LOVED IT!

You should be memorise the order of your special chapters, and start researching any of the important biblical figures portrayed in your text. Once you've done that, take a look at some of the short answer questions and have a go at them.

Best of luck!

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 05:23:22 pm »
Well I did Luke's Gospel this year. LOVED IT!

You should be memorise the order of your special chapters, and start researching any of the important biblical figures portrayed in your text. Once you've done that, take a look at some of the short answer questions and have a go at them.

Best of luck!

Thanks! :)

sasa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Bananas
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 10:31:29 pm »
+1
I second 90+

NamasteLjubo

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Of Rock
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 10:50:11 pm »
I'm going to be taking unit 3/4 T.T next year; what would be the best way to prepare for it? Any tips/advice would be very much appreciated.

Get out while you can.

I did it and didn't like it. If you're going to do it you have to be 100% committed to it because most of the content is dry and there is lots of it. Anyway, good luck with it.

90+FTW

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 11:58:29 pm »
I second 90+
Cheers Lisa  ;) xoxox