Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:02:23 am

Author Topic: Yacoubb's UMAT thread of questions  (Read 1441 times)  Share 

Yacoubb

Yacoubb's UMAT thread of questions
« on: July 19, 2013, 11:26:24 pm »
Ello :)

I've started this thread because I'll be doing the UMAT in 2014 and I really thought it best to start getting some introductory on it. Firstly, I'll be doing 4 subjects next year (after finishing 2 this year) and I've taken into consideration the fact that until the end of July (i.e. when the horrors of UMAT have come to an end), UMAT preparation will practically be a 5th subject. I was just wondering if someone could clarify the following:

1) What is MedEntry course & when/where do I apply?
2) When should I begin preparations ~ I'll be preparing properly over the summer holidays for the UMAT.
3) Any tips and suggestions ~ I want to do Med so the UMAT is quite important for me...

Thanks so much :)

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
Re: Yacoubb's UMAT thread of questions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 09:36:11 pm »
http://www.medentry.edu.au/products/packages

obviously I'm not qualified to give any actual advice, but I'll just say that undergrad medicine isn't the only way in so don't stress too much over this.
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:26:39 am »
+1
1. MedEntry is just a preparation course that gives you a whole bunch of questions that are meant to be similar to the ones in the actual exam. They have solutions as well. It seems to be the preparation course that most people will talk about.
Just be aware that the questions on MedEntry do not always reflect the style of questions seen in the UMAT, especially in S2. I found it most useful for S3.

2. You can begin preparation any time you want. I'd say the June-July period is the most important though.

3. UMAT is a very unpredictable exam. The amount of study you do might not always pay off - I've seen people dedicate so much time for the UMAT who unfortunately didn't make the cut-offs, and I've seen people who did little to no study for it and still got above 95th percentile. It's mainly meant to test your natural aptitude and EQ. Luck plays a little bit of a factor too.

As said above, there are always other pathways into Medicine. The GAMSAT is held for graduate medicine, and I've heard that it is more "preparation/study friendly" than the UMAT. Either way you go, good luck.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

Yacoubb

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 07:27:51 am »
1. MedEntry is just a preparation course that gives you a whole bunch of questions that are meant to be similar to the ones in the actual exam. They have solutions as well. It seems to be the preparation course that most people will talk about.
Just be aware that the questions on MedEntry do not always reflect the style of questions seen in the UMAT, especially in S2. I found it most useful for S3.

2. You can begin preparation any time you want. I'd say the June-July period is the most important though.

3. UMAT is a very unpredictable exam. The amount of study you do might not always pay off - I've seen people dedicate so much time for the UMAT who unfortunately didn't make the cut-offs, and I've seen people who did little to no study for it and still got above 95th percentile. It's mainly meant to test your natural aptitude and EQ. Luck plays a little bit of a factor too.

As said above, there are always other pathways into Medicine. The GAMSAT is held for graduate medicine, and I've heard that it is more "preparation/study friendly" than the UMAT. Either way you go, good luck.
Thanks so much. That was really helpful!