Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:30:19 pm

Author Topic: Some Last-Minute UMAT Tips and Encouragement  (Read 13337 times)  Share 

gibsonaxxxs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +31
Some Last-Minute UMAT Tips and Encouragement
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:40:00 am »
+15
Hey guys,

So I know it's getting close to the UMAT, and I remember at around this time (no - around 2.5 weeks before the UMAT) being really freaked out because I hadn't done any solid preparation work. I remember dying for something that could give me some kind of encouragement, and I want to be able to help anyone who is in the same position as I was. Also, at that point I wanted a bit of guidance about where I should start and what I should do, and looking around the forum I think several people are feeling a similar way.

I'm just writing a quick little set of things that I really wanted to say but didn't have the heart to at that point.

I'm getting really low scores at the moment OR my scores are all over the place!
Don't focus on your scores. This is absolutely essential. I pretty much failed the ACER Practice Tests (I remember looking on AN, and everyone's scores, and thinking well there goes med), but just kept working. Also, when I was doing a prep course I was consistently attaining low percentiles, 2 weeks before the test. I only ever hit a hundred percentile in a section 2 exam, but in the end, section 2 was my lowest section score. Just keep climbing, and be proud that you're doing what you can right now to improve.

It isn't about what you're getting now, it's about what you can improve on in the meantime. If you're consistently getting full marks, either the preparation you're doing is too easy or something's going a bit wrong, because you want to be able to improve as much while you're practicing, rather than realising what you don't know in the exam.

Just remember that right now, nothing counts. So don't ever feel discouraged at your scores. Look at them and figure out what to improve on. IMPROVEMENT IS KEY. But note that this doesn't necessarily reflect in your scores as you progress along. Ultimately those scores mean nothing. They can predict nothing. Just do your best to improve right now, and do your best on the day.

I have done nothing so far and I'm really freaked out because I know that the UMAT is looming over me and I haven't prepared half as much as any of my friends and a;sldkjfa;sldkfj!!!!!!!
I personally had less than a month to do legitimate preparatory work. In that time, I also had to prepare for several major SACS that were on the second and third weeks back at school. I also missed most of my holidays to prepare for the UMAT as I had literally gone away. However, I managed to pull myself up from shockingly low scores, and you can too.

The key at this point is to calm down. You need to chill out and relax, because you want every single minute of preparation time to be tackled with a clear mind. The UMAT is intense and requires a lot of focus. And you can't focus if you're stressed about it.

There's still lots of time - don't get flustered or stressed.

How can I calm down at this point?!
Tell yourself that you'll be okay. Imagine yourself getting that hundred percentile. Tell yourself that the UMAT really doesn't matter in the long run.

Give yourself a legitimate backup plan that does not require the UMAT, if you have the time to think something up. I'm serious - it works!

I'm struggling with Section 1, and really need a quick-fix solution
The truth is that the UMAT is highly skills-based, and skills take a while to develop. Furthermore, most of the preparation you would have done to this point involves doing questions, rather than looking at theory.

When I was preparing, I was thinking that I really didn't have the time to slowly train my brain to be skilful in things it had rarely done before. I needed something that I could cram, like in the VCE. And why is a VCAA exam so much easier than a UMAT one? Because you know that techniques. You know how to solve each question as it comes your way. This is what I decided was vital for fast improvement, to the point of cramming.

Basically, you need a method. You need tactics. In other words, learn your material before doing the questions. Get yourself a toolbox before attempting the real things, if that makes any sense. But this is a lot easier to say than it is to do, primarily because most preparation material is heavily questions-based.

I'm going to stop here for a shameless plug: my guide is full of methods and tactics for you to learn from. I've essentially done the categorisation and grouping for you, and given you a laid-out plan, like a VCE textbook.

However, you can do that yourself. Give yourself guidelines to answer each question as it comes, so that you will be able to solve almost anything they throw your way. Work with the question, analyse it, break it down.

I hate people. I hate Section 2. But I need to improve… humph
Section 2 is slightly harder to improve on, given the timeframe. This section only has a few easy shortcuts and methods that are suitable for cramming (although it DOES have some and there ARE some easy ways to improve for general questions quickly).

However, there is 1 main way that I think many people would benefit from: notice your friends. Notice how they behave, and why they do what they do. Try to understand them. This can be done in your free time so it doesn't actually take any of your study time away.

Section 3 has my head spinning. I have no idea where to start
Section 3 is the easiest to improve on. However, again, you need to change the focus on your preparation from questions-based to theory-based.

There are 2 main things to do.

1) Memorise patterns. There are several patterns that pretty much cover the entire Section 3, and if you get them, you'll get most of section 3. Another shameless plug: my guide is full of patterns that you can easily memorise. However, again, you can do this yourself.

2) Don't get confused. Never let yourself get sucked into the pattern. Tackle it bit-by-bit, element by element, and you'll slowly see the light ;)

I'm really bad in a section - am I going to fail?
Well firstly there is no pass/fail in the UMAT. Just putting it out there ;)

Secondly, the UMAT is an unweighted average of the 3 sections. So it really doesn't matter how bad you are at one, provided that others compensate for that section. Just keep trying, keep pushing yourself.

Disclaimer
Some of the things I said may be a little unclear, because I haven't been able to give too much information. Most of what I've said so far is elaborated on in my guide, which is more than 100 pages. I didn't think I would be able to post that much information here!

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions here - I'll do my best to answer them!
Good luck, and remember, ultimately just keep trying :)
UMAT 100%ile
MBBS V

friedchicken

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Some Last-Minute UMAT Tips and Encouragement
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:29:18 am »
Thanks for the advice and tips! :)
I guess the UMAT isn't as daunting as it appears to be, but since I'm not doing a prep course, I have significantly less resources than a lot of my friends. Do you think it is possible, utilizing these strategies of course, to succeed solely with the two ACER practice exams and whatever study material I can find online (such as the Mensa workout puzzles for section 3)? Or is imperative that I buy practice exams so I have something legitimate to work with, instead of random questions on the internet?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:33:27 am by friedchicken »

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:41:16 am »
+2
If it helps with confidence, a friend of mine did the UMAT with no prep and didn't complete any section (didn't even guess the last few questions). He just went in there with gut instinct and did his best. Got 100%ile :)

(had no intentions of med, and isn't doing med though :P)

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:19:39 pm »
I feel the feelings that you've described since I've done essentially no practice since last school holidays. Although, I've already come to the conclusion that I won't need the UMAT for the courses I really want to get into. Typical me. *shrugs*
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

sin0001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:36:36 pm »
Thanks for that!
Also, how would you recommend we tackle the change in the UMAT structure; should we start off with our stronger section(s) or should we just complete the questions in the order in which they're presented?
ATAR: 99.00
Monash Commerce Scholars

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:38:17 pm »
I'd go strongest to weakest but try and keep within the previous timings as a guide. Personally I'd add 5mins onto S1 and take 5mins from S3 as my guide.

Up to you, your test.

edit: not "you're" >.>
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:49:17 pm by pi »

Edward21

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Don't ask me, all I do is calculate pH.
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 04:20:25 pm »
+1
Hi,
I've decided the best way I'm going to tackle the disorganised UMAT is to do it from start to finish. Personally I get exhausted doing the same style of stuff over and over again, imagine 15 pick the middles in a row!? I just don't want to be flicking through the exam constantly, and want a sense of achievement as I close one page and move to the next. Gibsonaxxs do you have any advice? I know there's mindset changes, but honestly I reckon that's less for me to deal with than mental exhaustion over doing the same thing repetitively under pressure
2012 Biology [44] 2013 Chemistry [50] Italian [38] English [48] Health & HD [45] Methods [34] ATAR: 99.10

2014-2016 Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 01:39:20 pm »
+5
I'm going to be totally honest here,

last year I had a busary from Medentry where I was given the lectures + the online resources for a discounted price. I attended the lectures and listened to exactly what the lecturer said and I thought his advixce was amazing.

When it actually came to the UMAT I found that the content found in Medentry was different to the actual UMAT, and I ended up getting screwed over for it.

If I had my time again, I would not have taken Medentry's advice and would have focused on reading more newspapers and trying to increase vocabulary. I would also focus more on the practice UMAT questions from ACER and even go even as far as to purchase more of their material because I found that last years UMAT was more similar to the ACER practice questions relative to the Medentry material.

Just go in with some confidence, and with the mentality that you have done all you can and you'll kill it :)

Good Luck!! :D
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.

zvezda

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 11:24:30 pm »
+1
I'm going to be totally honest here,

last year I had a busary from Medentry where I was given the lectures + the online resources for a discounted price. I attended the lectures and listened to exactly what the lecturer said and I thought his advixce was amazing.

When it actually came to the UMAT I found that the content found in Medentry was different to the actual UMAT, and I ended up getting screwed over for it.

If I had my time again, I would not have taken Medentry's advice and would have focused on reading more newspapers and trying to increase vocabulary. I would also focus more on the practice UMAT questions from ACER and even go even as far as to purchase more of their material because I found that last years UMAT was more similar to the ACER practice questions relative to the Medentry material.

Just go in with some confidence, and with the mentality that you have done all you can and you'll kill it :)

Good Luck!! :D

Similar with respect to difficulty or style? Or something else?
ATAR: 99.80

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 09:37:29 am »
I just felt they were different style, in terms of difficulty I was doing well in the Medentry drills/exams and I still ended up failing :(

I know kids who were getting 90+ to 100% in Medentry who failed, so do the ACER papers! :)

Good Luck!
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)

Bad Student

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 01:14:32 pm »
I just felt they were different style, in terms of difficulty I was doing well in the Medentry drills/exams and I still ended up failing :(

I know kids who were getting 90+ to 100% in Medentry who failed, so do the ACER papers! :)

Good Luck!

How badly did those kids do when they failed?

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 01:26:46 pm »
It depends on the student etc.

Some people who did Medentry and did well also killed the UMAT while others got scores which they weren't expecting <20 percentile up to 70 percentile etc...
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)

gibsonaxxxs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 11:12:03 pm »
+2
Really sorry for my absence. I'll try to answer every question :)

Thanks for the advice and tips! :)
I guess the UMAT isn't as daunting as it appears to be, but since I'm not doing a prep course, I have significantly less resources than a lot of my friends. Do you think it is possible, utilizing these strategies of course, to succeed solely with the two ACER practice exams and whatever study material I can find online (such as the Mensa workout puzzles for section 3)? Or is imperative that I buy practice exams so I have something legitimate to work with, instead of random questions on the internet?

I wouldn't say it's imperative to buy something to work with, considering many prep courses are way too expensive any way. The ultimate thing you need to do is familiarise yourself with the layout and don't be caught off guard on the day. I guess it all depends on you and how you work - some people can familiarise themselves with 1 prac exam, others need more than 12. Ultimately you don't want to be stressed or surprised on the day, because you want to focus everything you can on the actual exam in front of you. It's too intense to think about anything else, and this is where many people fail.

Thanks for that!
Also, how would you recommend we tackle the change in the UMAT structure; should we start off with our stronger section(s) or should we just complete the questions in the order in which they're presented?

Hey - I think you came to my lecture and purchased the guide - did you receive the recent email with the modifications to it? I laid out a whole list of pros and cons for each method, and gave which I thought was the best just working with the pros and cons. Worth giving a read - if you didn't receive it, please shoot me an email :)

Sorry for not explaining it here - it's more than a simple answer as I believe it depends on the person.

Hi,
I've decided the best way I'm going to tackle the disorganised UMAT is to do it from start to finish. Personally I get exhausted doing the same style of stuff over and over again, imagine 15 pick the middles in a row!? I just don't want to be flicking through the exam constantly, and want a sense of achievement as I close one page and move to the next. Gibsonaxxs do you have any advice? I know there's mindset changes, but honestly I reckon that's less for me to deal with than mental exhaustion over doing the same thing repetitively under pressure

Again I would love to help, but it took me more than a page of my guide to fully explain everything and make sure every part of the method is covered properly. The problem is that each person is different, and each person can work in a different way. I've laid out the pros and cons of each method and my recommended one (S1 and 3 first then S2), and there is a great deal of reasoning behind it, but ultimately you have to work out what would be best for you (by looking at the pros and cons).

With regards to mental exhaustion, that's probably going to be the last of your worries as you're sitting the UMAT. I personally enjoyed the flow of going through stacks of pick-the-middles, but maybe I'm just a really weird nerd. (ha I rhymed)

Hope that helps and feel free to hit me up with more questions here :)
UMAT 100%ile
MBBS V

sin0001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 12:26:09 am »
+1

Hey - I think you came to my lecture and purchased the guide - did you receive the recent email with the modifications to it? I laid out a whole list of pros and cons for each method, and gave which I thought was the best just working with the pros and cons. Worth giving a read - if you didn't receive it, please shoot me an email :)

Sorry for not explaining it here - it's more than a simple answer as I believe it depends on the person.

Yea, I did come to your lecture!
I did receive the modifications (thanks for that!), I think these had the pros & cons regarding the different approaches we can use, which were quite insightful. But I wanted to know your personal recommendation because I've tried a variety of approaches and I'm having trouble finding the 'best' one :/
ATAR: 99.00
Monash Commerce Scholars

gibsonaxxxs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 02:13:39 pm »
Yea, I did come to your lecture!
I did receive the modifications (thanks for that!), I think these had the pros & cons regarding the different approaches we can use, which were quite insightful. But I wanted to know your personal recommendation because I've tried a variety of approaches and I'm having trouble finding the 'best' one :/

Yeah it is a bit hard to do :/

My personal recommendation was on page 8 (as part of the first paragraph under the table).

This is ultimately doing the mixture of Section 1 and 3 questions first, then coming back for Section 2 questions.

The reasoning behind this recommendation can be found in that document :)
UMAT 100%ile
MBBS V