Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 11:06:09 am

Author Topic: Need help with courses  (Read 1394 times)  Share 

boredone

Need help with courses
« on: December 19, 2012, 07:50:34 pm »
For the past 2 years i haven't been in the best form and for it to happen in VCE was even worst :(
I have recently suffered from depression and motivation to continue studying
Continuous pressure from family and the needed score of getting above 95 as i got a scholarship to a private school really pushed me over the edge
When i checked my atar score i discovered i got an atar of 70
I was devastated by the fact that i had received this score and hoped to atleast get 80 in this form
I have been to the counsellor and have applied for SEAS
I really want to get into melbourne/monash science or commerce as i really aspire to do well
Was wondering if i can still be considered for these courses ? and if there ways that i can get into these courses 
If anyone can help i would really appreciate it

Thanks for reading
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:29:22 pm by boredone »

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
Re: Need help with courses
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 10:42:19 pm »
+3
Unfortunately i believe you will have missed out on the seas cutoff for monash b.comm. Your best option is to apply for a b.comm/b.bus at another university.

Let me give you some helpful advice in regards to a b.comm degree (I try to explain this to every high school leaver but very few seem to believe me) - a b comm. degree is a b.comm degree is a b.comm degree. It matters very little which uni the b.comm is from; the most important factor of your b.comm studies is - 1. Your marks at uni 2. Your work experience in your field of major.

In a scenario where you have a monash or melb graduate with a 60 average for his/her degree vs. a deakin grad with a 70-80 average - all else being equal, the deakin grad will get the job every single time. The only time where a monash degree might hold an edge is when your have 2 equally impressive applicants from te 2 business schools - that is the ONLY time when a bit of nepotism might set in (you have more chances of being in a car crash than being confronted with a similar scenario).

A b.comm from melb/monash is NOT some magic bullet that will automatically land a graduate a job out of uni (contrary to popular belief); commerce is now so competitive nowadays that poor marks in your undergrad will mean you will struggle to find ANY
work upon graduation.

The most relevant example I can use to illustrate this point would be that of my cousin and my good friend's fiancee. Both did their b.comm at deakin (their atars were similar to yours) - they worked their asses off during uni and achieved some incredible results; now both work at Jp morgan and credit suisse respectively (they are some of the most coveted grad positions sought out by commerce grads). In order for them to get those grad positions they would have had to have beaten thousands os applicants from melb and interstate unis.

Moral of the story - your atar represents the fastest of getting into the courae you want, nothing more. Success is based on what you achieve in your university course.

For your case I would highly recommend applying for a deakin b.comm/ monash b.bus (the smartest guy i know did this degree - broke all kinds of records at monash and now is studying a m.economics at cambridge) and rmit's b.bus. I would rank these degrees on the basis of how far you live from the campus that teaches these courses (not turning up to lectures and tutes are the primary reasons why students do poorly).

And an added bonus is if you are still desperate to transfer into monash - do well in your 1st yr (usually a 75 average minimum) should get you an offer for 2nd yr b.comm at monash. I did this with my rmit b.bus - transferred after a yr into melb b.comm (also got an offer from monash for their comm-law program - which goes to show there are many many ways to get into the course you desire provided you work at it).