Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 01:27:17 am

Author Topic: Monash Med or Chancellor's Biomed  (Read 10586 times)  Share 

WhoTookMyUsername

Monash Med or Chancellor's Biomed
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:55:32 pm »
Big decision in front of me which i am lucky enough to have
I know this has nearly been done to death in past years, but i wanted to hear the how past people's choices have panned out over the past while, and how kids this year are going about making their decisions.

Issue 1: Education
Preclinical: Heard Melbourne has better preclinical theory and such
Clinical: Heard Monash has better clinical practice and such

Hospitals Associated with: Melbourne has slightly better hospitals attached?

Internships: Potential lack of guaranteed internships when i graduate? Heard something about Melbourne MD giving you 8 extra 'points' (what are these?) for internship consideration? Melbourne better in this regard?

Issue 2: Money/Time/Scholarships
Time - Melbourne 7, Monash 5
Money - Monash gives me $12 k a year and a bunch of other benefits such as gym etc.
Melbourne pays my fees for undergrad and gives me $5 k a year for first 3 years only
Schol: Need to get a 70% weighted average mark every semester, Melbourne only pass mark (50%?)

Issue 3: Misc
Distance - Monash is ~40 minutes by bike, Melbourne 1 hour 10 minutes by public transport

Social Cohesion - From what I've heard, Monash has a more 'family' feel compared to melbourne university biomed which is for obvious reasons far more competitive and inclined to backstabbing etc.? Melbourne may have better 'networking' potential with Chancellor's program? I know far more kids at monash then melbourne though

I'm not planning to practice/study/exchange anywhere else (overseas etc.) and am not currently planning to go into research

Anyways, Want to hear everyone's opinion on weighing up this matter
thanks a lot!

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: Monash Med or Chancellor's Biomed
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:57 pm »
Issue 1: Education
Preclinical: Heard Melbourne has better preclinical theory and such
Clinical: Heard Monash has better clinical practice and such

I don't think you can split it that clearly. I wouldn't think either is substantially better than the other. MD1 is the only preclinical you get (I guessssss your undergrad degree could be considered preclin, making it superior) so it's really hectic compared to Monash's first year.

Hospitals Associated with: Melbourne has slightly better hospitals attached?

On paper, yeah I guess they do, but if you're not working there/you might not get the good ones/it's not really that big a deal/they're all good

Internships: Potential lack of guaranteed internships when i graduate? Heard something about Melbourne MD giving you 8 extra 'points' (what are these?) for internship consideration? Melbourne better in this regard?

Evidence Based CVs give points for extra degrees you have. The MD will be equated with the MBBS as your medical degree and then potentially give bonus points as necessary for a primary degree. I don't think anyone knows how it works until the first lot graduate. It won't be 8 points though, that's quite a lot. See here.
I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about which uni is better for internships, the position we're in will either snowball or be resolved before it matters for you I guess.

Issue 2: Money/Time/Scholarships
Time - Melbourne 7, Monash 5
Money - Monash gives me $12 k a year and a bunch of other benefits such as gym etc.
Melbourne pays my fees for undergrad and gives me $5 k a year for first 3 years only
Schol: Need to get a 70% weighted average mark every semester, Melbourne only pass mark (50%?)

The only reason to spend less time at uni is if you're worried about internships I guess. I can't think of a reason to not want to spend another 2 years at uni. I guess UoM comes out ahead on finances but the difference here is kinda negligible so I wouldn't let it sway you too much.

Issue 3: Misc
Distance - Monash is ~40 minutes by bike, Melbourne 1 hour 10 minutes by public transport

70 minutes isn't too bad, an hour travel time is pretty standard for most people I know. Depends how keen you are to save that extra hour a day. Like the money, since it's not a huge difference, I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

Social Cohesion - From what I've heard, Monash has a more 'family' feel compared to melbourne university biomed which is for obvious reasons far more competitive and inclined to backstabbing etc.? Melbourne may have better 'networking' potential with Chancellor's program? I know far more kids at monash then melbourne though

People have some crazy idea that biomed is hyper competitive and everybody tries to undercut everybody else. I've never seen it and I did three years there, so take from that what you will. Go read this though; Intern/Resident Crisis + Upscale Cut-Throat Competition

Chancellors networking is okay. You get mentors from the MD program, you'll get to meet doctors/deans of the clinical schools etc. You'll get to network with a bunch of people but it probably isn't going to give you a huge advantage purely in terms of your medical career. It's invaluable if you're considering getting a summer job or want to do some research on the side or whatever.

Since it's guaranteed, I really like the undergrad+postgrad approach. You get three years to decide if you really want medicine. You can spend those three years not studying really hard and enjoying yourself and uni. It's quite rare to be able to do that and still end up in a medical career, so I quite like that possibility. I mean if you're dead set on medicine and you go to Monash...well great, you'll enjoy yourself. I just like the freedom and the options you get from the program they brought in at UoM, since it's guaranteed. Also Clayton is a wind tunnel.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:00:43 pm by Russ »

WhoTookMyUsername

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 06:08:44 pm »
Thanks for the advice russ :)
Also do i need to obtain a certain GPA at melbourne?

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:26:29 pm »
Thanks for the advice russ :)
Also do i need to obtain a certain GPA at melbourne?

no
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

WhoTookMyUsername

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 06:31:02 pm »
Actually i just found the 'terms & conditions for melbourne' (it was hiding in my desk which is an absolute mess)
it says
'recipients of a melbourne national scholarship are expected to pass all subjects in their first year and achieve at least a 70% average in the second and subsequent years of their course. Other scholarship recipients are required to be approved by their faculty to progress each year'
So does this mean a GPA of 70 is required?

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 06:33:36 pm »
Really? They changed it again?
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 06:36:22 pm »
Why not Science at Melbourne, by the way? From what I see, the selling point of Biomed seems to be motivation from a competitive cohort - especially for those who aren't guaranteed entry.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 06:43:04 pm »
Russ' post seems pretty balanced.

On a related note, travel to and form uni will be more painful as the years go on. In first year it's ok (although first year MD is intense), but if you go to a city hospital with a high workload, suddenly the 30 mins travel time (one-way) becomes more painful.

As for the extra two uni years. Some people love it (Russ seems to have loved it), but others I have spoken to really didn't love it. I've also heard a lot of Biomed horror stories regarding competition, but I guess in my med cohort the top end (80+) isn't much better (imo), so they even out there I guess.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 06:52:04 pm »
You don't need to maintain any average to get the MD spot under the Chancellor's Scholars program, your handout is outdated and probably refers to the previous incarnation of it.

WhoTookMyUsername

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 07:01:02 pm »
+1
You don't need to maintain any average to get the MD spot under the Chancellor's Scholars program, your handout is outdated and probably refers to the previous incarnation of it.

Melbourne gave it to me yesterday in person LOL

WhoTookMyUsername

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 07:15:47 pm »
Ah sorry. That's 70% in order to keep getting money from the university. The MD spot isn't dependent on it, which is what I was referring to before. National scholarship and the Scholars program are two different things (yay bureaucracy)

WhoTookMyUsername

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 07:22:58 pm »
ahk that makes sense,
back to my original post
why did past kids choose which? what are you guys this year doing?

Panicmode

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +46
  • School: De La Salle College Malvern
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 08:30:48 pm »
Speaking as a biomed student, this cut throat competition is non existing. If anything, the cohort is the opposite, always trying to pull everyone up and helping each other out in their weaker areas.
2012 Biomedicine @ UoM

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 01:48:11 am »
+1
If the UoM scholarship also requires 70% average (that's my interpretation of this), I think the Monash one looks better then? Scholarship money worth longer, you're a doctor doctor in shorter (which I think is good, especially with travel time), it's the same degree (in essence), and there's no cramming of preclin years, and undergrad holidays are so much better than MD holidays.