Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 04, 2024, 03:00:03 pm

Author Topic: Software Engineering @ Monash  (Read 5088 times)  Share 

studynotes

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Software Engineering @ Monash
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:00:12 pm »
+1
This course really interests me (monash) was wondering if anyone here does this course? how hard is the course? where could i work?

thanks in advance!

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
Re: Software Engineering @ Monash
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 08:14:26 am »
+1
Have you done any sort of programming before?
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

studynotes

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:03:42 pm »
+1
no i havent actually..but computers interest me

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 11:49:01 pm »
+1
I was considering this course last year. Although location for me was the main priority, there is a crucial distinction between software engineering, computer science and IT.

Software engineering is a four year engineering degree. It is concerned primarily with the architecture. Computer science is all about coding - algorithm efficiency, data structures, AI, discrete maths, predicate logic., etc.  As the famous quote goes, computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes. It's all mathematical concepts of computation and information.

This picture sums it up well (SE up top, CS below).

IT is more hands on and diverse. In IT it's more about implementing solutions to practical problems and supporting the infrastructure. If you pick your electives right you can still have a comp sci grounding in your preferred area (e.g. database, networking, etc.). Personally I prefer IT. There's more interaction with people, you get a business grounding, and you learn all of the relevant real world stuff.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:59:44 pm »
+1
To above, I'd just like to state that most universities do not follow the convention that you would expect - many simply use the terms 'computer science' and 'software engineering' specifically.

However, as you have posted in the Monash forum..

The main difference between a software engineering degree and a computer science degree is that you do 4 years in software eng, and 3 years in computer science.

In the fourth year, you do a year long computer science project where you work on actual systems for actual companies, with an optional Honours component that you can take alongside it, depending on marks. In this you learn research methods and are given the opportunity to design/develop/research about stuff that interests you, for example image processing algorithms, networking optimization etc.

In terms of actual subjects, I would say 2/3rds of what you do are the same subjects, with computer science students having more choice in terms of electives to undertake a more specialized major of their choice. Look in the Monash Handbook for more details on this.

The reason I have chosen to move from Melbourne to Monash was primarily the option of the IBL (Industry Based Learning) placement if you are a local student. This comes with it a $15000($19000 for new students that qualify) scholarship for 22 weeks of work, and exposure to real graduate work with supervisors and sometimes 'buddies' that help you. I am currently undertaking a placement at CTi, and I'm loving it so far. Range of companies that you could work for are IBM, Accenture, PWC, Simplot, QSR, Readify, Odecee, NAB, ANZ to name a few - and a thorough interview process and a matching process by the IBL director usually gets you a placement that suits your goals and interests. And I doubt I would have to describe how beneficial having a semester's worth of real graduate work under your belt would be for future job opportunities.

Some statistics: 100% of IBL students have been offered a job within 6 months of graduating, with 80% of offers coming from companies that they worked for in the past. How good is that?

In the past year though, they have seemed to have extended the IBL offer to Computer Science students as well, so there is that option if you don't want to commit yourself to a four year degree with little/no electives.

All in all, these degrees are really beneficial and worth to be doing IMO if you're interested in this area. Be warned though there is very little fun and games involved..if you don't have a good logical mind or if you have a lack of interest in programming (which will be present in pretty much every subject, however little) or just want to play games - don't do it.

For example, if it was me, before posting this thread -

I would have googled a generic term like "monash software engineering".
I would have checked out the handbook for this course and the list of units that looked interesting, and checked out what most units entail.
I would have seen the IBL information present and looked into it - which includes a list of company partners and what I would have to do to get in.
I would also have searched whirlpool, BoS if it's still up, and possibly this forum for more information about computer science courses in general.

THEN I would have posted this thread - but probably with a different specific question entirely :)

Have fun and GL :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:05:14 pm by zhenzhenzhen »
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

Devva[R]

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • ニャァァァァァァー
  • Respect: +8
  • School: West Side Schools
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 07:05:46 pm »
All in all, these degrees are really beneficial and worth to be doing IMO if you're interested in this area. Be warned though there is very little fun and games involved..if you don't have a good logical mind or if you have a lack of interest in programming (which will be present in pretty much every subject, however little) or just want to play games - don't do it.
I think this is right on mark. Don't think of Computer Science/Software Engineering as playing games or doing IT support. I can see a lot of people who chose Comp Sci without much thought struggling to pass  Algorithms and Intro to Comp Sci, which are basically the first and second core units you take for Computer Science and Software Engineering. It can be hell if you're not on top of your game. But if you do keep up and are interested in programming and Computer Science topics, then it is worthwhile.
2012: Bachelor of Software Engineering(Maths Minor) IBL Stream @ Monash University, Clayton
2014: Internship
2015: Graduate!

robertnyan.com