Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 11:58:41 pm

Author Topic: Melbourne Uni Guaranteed med  (Read 8726 times)  Share 

BlueSky_3

Melbourne Uni Guaranteed med
« on: August 19, 2012, 01:49:40 pm »
Just a quick question - how do I apply for the full fee guaranteed MD at Uni of Melbourne on VTAC?

max payne

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Melbourne Uni Guaranteed med
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 02:36:29 pm »
On a similar note, what about guarenteed engineering at melbourne. If you get above 96, are you automatically eligible?

Surgeon

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Determined to score a 50 in English.
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 02:55:22 pm »
Is there any way of getting a guaranteed place in the MD without getting 99.9+?
Aspiring doctor. Why? For the same four reasons as everybody else. Chicks, money, power and chicks.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 02:59:58 pm »
The full fee guarantee just requires you to get 99+
You don't need to do anything special now, in 3 years time you fill in a form indicating you want to take up the guarantee.

Is there any way of getting a guaranteed place in the MD without getting 99.9+?

99+ guarantees a FFP subject to a suitable average, but otherwise no

BlueSky_3

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 03:34:46 pm »
BUMCHIN - So would I be able to do any undergrad course at Melbourne? And how do I actually apply? On their website it doesn't specifically mention how....

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 03:47:50 pm »
You would need to do the prerequisite subjects, so science and biomedicine are your best bets
But yeah afaik you can do any

And there is no process to follow, you just enrol and in 3 years time fill out a form

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 04:34:21 pm »
Btw, if you're thinking of doing full fee MD, I'd actually think twice due to the limited amount of internship places - as FFP students don't get a guaranteed internship place.

Surgeon

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 05:24:37 pm »
Btw, if you're thinking of doing full fee MD, I'd actually think twice due to the limited amount of internship places - as FFP students don't get a guaranteed internship place.

Do CSP students get a guaranteed internship?

What could you do if you graduated from FFP MD at Melbourne but didn't get an internship..?
Aspiring doctor. Why? For the same four reasons as everybody else. Chicks, money, power and chicks.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 05:31:08 pm »

Do CSP students get a guaranteed internship?

What could you do if you graduated from FFP MD at Melbourne but didn't get an internship..?

There is a bit of a crisis in internships atm http://www.amsa.org.au/internship-crisis CSP students are in the best position for internships in their uni's state atm, but things may change in a few years (hopefully for the better).

Simple: They're willing to take the risk and they really really want to and can afford to study medicine.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 06:05:02 pm »
+1
Yeah CSP students get guarateed internships and I'm pretty sure that will continue into the future otherwise the government would be wasting their own money training doctors that can't work.

But FFP has been an issue and will continue to be an issue. If you graduate but don't get an internship, you basically won't be fully licensed to practice as a doctor, for example, you can't get access to medicare amongst other things. But you're pretty much free to do whatever else. You can go into research or do a degree in public health, but then and again, you'll probably feel shit for burning about a quarter of a million dollars :P

BlueSky_3

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 06:41:54 pm »
Does that include Bond University med paulsterio?

AllAboutTheLGs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Goon King
  • Respect: +16
  • School: Glen Waverley Secondary College
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 08:29:13 pm »
I never knew about the 99 FFP guaranteed entry for MD, so this will be an option if I don't get into Monash MBBS. The money won't be an issue because my dad has the funds necessary. (He gets taxed a shitload anyways, and he can claim it for educational purposes).

Just a few questions:

1. Is there any requirements as to what undergraduate degree I do? Could I do Commerce if I chose the right breadths?

2. What average do I have to maintain in order to be able to do MD without sitting the GAMSAT?

2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine at The University of Melbourne

Surgeon

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 08:37:33 pm »
wow unless you're super, super rich, and i mean ridiculously super rich (1 M family income + per year) i don't see why you would even consider this an option, unless you've exhausted absolutely every other entry into medicine. Generally your parents have to work so hard to earn a living and plomping an extra 300 K on their shoulders is just not fair or necessary. And seriously, if you want to do medicine that desperately, -300K worth of desperately, surely you can work hard enough to get in without having to buy your way through, and even if you can there's no guarantee you'll get an internship. There are tons of interstate options or plenty of other careers...
Ofc i don't know any of your personal situations; but I would seriously consider just how huge a burden 300 K is (for most families)

Well perhaps some parents would see it as an investment in their child's future and would be willing to fork out $250k (I'm pretty sure it's about 250k as paul pointed out).

AllAboutTheLGs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Goon King
  • Respect: +16
  • School: Glen Waverley Secondary College
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 08:39:34 pm »
Its 50k a year, totaling up to 200k, my dad pays 350-400k a year to tax anyways, and he just lectured me about how it's "investing for my future". Of course, this is a fall back if my first options don't go according to plan.
This is like a last resort, as I don't want to risk the GAMSAT, much like you.
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine at The University of Melbourne

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 08:40:47 pm »
+2
It's only an investment if you get an internship at the end. Otherwise you can't practice anywhere and you're not a doctor.

Personally, if I had the funds but I couldn't get in undergrad or grad anywhere, I would feel that I didn't deserve a place in med and that if I couldn't meet the academic requirements to it, that I wasn't cut out for it. Just me though (and I don't have the funds).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:46:09 pm by LovesPhysics »