Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 02:52:54 pm

Author Topic: Related rates of change  (Read 2356 times)  Share 

dinosaur93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
Related rates of change
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:43:33 pm »
How do you do this type of problems where you find to find more than 1 unknown? I know that we need to find in get to

A 13 feet long ladder rests against a vertical wall. If the foot of the ladder is pulled away from the wall at a constant rate of 8 inches per seconds, find the rate at which the area of the triangle is formed by the ladder when the wall and the ground changing at the instant when the top of the ladder is 12 feet above the ground.

From the question, I know that the unknown is when y=12 ft
I also know that
from memory =

How do we find ? Do we just use the pythagoras theorem put everything in terms of x, then differentiate it??? then multiply by to get ???? The final answer gives which Im no where closed to...

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +109
Re: Related rates of change
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 11:43:07 pm »
Let x be the distance between the bottom of the wall and the bottom of the ladder. Let y be the distance from bottom of wall to top of ladder. Then .

One approach is to express in terms of x only and then differentiate to find , then use

Another way is to differentiate both sides with respect to t and use the product rule to get. Then use dy/dt=dy/dx dx/dt
Voltaire: "There is an astonishing imagination even in the science of mathematics ... We repeat, there is far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 11:47:37 pm »
+2
As you said we have and we want

So we can use .

So we need to find

The area of a triangle is given by the formula or in this case

But we only want A in terms of x so that we can differentiate A with respect to x. To do this we have to find y in terms of x.

We can do this using pythagoras' theorem;

Thus;

and hence using the product rule;

So at the moment we have;

We want to find when the height is 12 feet (when y = 12) but our equation is in terms of x, so we must find x.

Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

dinosaur93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 05:06:56 pm »
awesome!!! thank you very much!!!~ your method is very easy to understand and straight forward

another Qs, my friend derived with the same answer as you but in a different method
nad I dont seem to understand how he did some of the steps? could someone help me explain thank you!!

How did he derived from to

to

So now we can find

Jenny_2108

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 05:17:24 pm »
The way your friend did is in Spesh course, not in Methods.
Its differentiation of equation. I reckon you do as rangaa because its safer. I heard from 2011 students, VCAA may not accept Spesh knowledge applying in Methods 

dinosaur93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 05:45:26 pm »
oh, i see....

no wonder the solution seems a bit odd....

thank you for clarifying!~ :)

dinosaur93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 05:59:02 pm »
How about if we were to find the the using the Methods way
I know how to do it by differentiating the equation....but since its not preferred in the methods course, I dont think I can obtain full marks in the working out section even though you get the right answer....

A 13 feet long ladder rests against a vertical wall. If the foot of the ladder is pulled away from the wall at a constant rate of 2 inches per seconds, how fast is the triangle is formed by the ladder when the wall and the ground changing (in radians per seconds) at the instant when the top of the ladder is 12 feet above the ground?

What I did is I differentiate the equation then re-arrange the equation to find and subsituting and y = 12 into

the trig expression to get an answer of

EDIT: the question is ask for radians per seconds
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:27:36 pm by elvin.lam1 »

Jenny_2108

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 06:18:49 pm »
What I did is I differentiate the equation then re-arrange the equation to find and subsituting and y = 12 into

the trig expression to get an answer of

But the question asks about , not

dinosaur93

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 06:24:12 pm »

But the question asks about , not

But the question is asking for radians per seconds though, not the area...isnt it?

sorry for the confusion...