Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 12:00:59 am

Author Topic: BComm vs BBus  (Read 3801 times)  Share 

kwheattt

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2011
BComm vs BBus
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:32:43 pm »
okay so basically, what's the difference between the bachelor of commerce and the bachelor of business?

I'm interested in commerce at monash but I don't want to travel to Clayton, so the Bachelor of Business (Accounting) and Bachelor of Business (Banking and Finance) is the next best thing.

But I have no clue what the difference is, is one more 'prestigious'?
"Sometimes all you need is just 20 seconds of insane courage. Just literally 20 seconds of just embarrassing bravery and I promise you something great will come of it."

2011: 94.3

2012: BSc - The University of Melbourne

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
  • School: Melbourne High School
Re: BComm vs BBus
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:39:23 pm »
Yes, bachelor of commerce is more prestigious than the bachelor of business.
But aside from that, subjects are pretty much the same.
Companies do prefer bachelor of commerce people though.
B.Comm / B.Eco @ Monash 2012 - 2015

Research Assistant, Faculty of Business and Economics, Monash University

kwheattt

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:23:40 pm »
In your  opinion then, should I see if I could transfer into UoM Bachelor of Commerce (risk not making it) or launch in bachelor of Business at Monash?

Or third option, start Bachelor of Business and try to transfer from that to UoM?
"Sometimes all you need is just 20 seconds of insane courage. Just literally 20 seconds of just embarrassing bravery and I promise you something great will come of it."

grevenchorf

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:27:11 pm »
In your  opinion then, should I see if I could transfer into UoM Bachelor of Commerce (risk not making it) or launch in bachelor of Business at Monash?

Or third option, start Bachelor of Business and try to transfer from that to UoM?

Do Commerce.

Clayton's a fair way out, but it's known around the world for its BusEco faculty. Currently ranked number 2 in the country behind ANU (http://ideas.repec.org/top/top.australia.html). Not sure if that changes your mind, but if you can get into Monash I'd recommend it instead of risking Melbourne.

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:29:58 pm »
okay so basically, what's the difference between the bachelor of commerce and the bachelor of business?

I'm interested in commerce at monash but I don't want to travel to Clayton, so the Bachelor of Business (Accounting) and Bachelor of Business (Banking and Finance) is the next best thing.

But I have no clue what the difference is, is one more 'prestigious'?
BBus is mainly at caulfield, I know that the units are quite similar to BComm however some are "dumbed" down quite a bit. Also BBus has A LOT of international students doing it, it's more like a degree for international students... rather than local students. Clayton's BComm is much more prestigious.
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

kwheattt

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:48:28 pm »
Initially I wanted to go to Cayton, but the distance is what kills me. It's so far, and I don't think I would get the full uni experience, since it takes 90 mins one way by public transport and about an hour by car....

So then the dilemma arises, suck up this time and go to Monash Clayton (irregular offer) or do a year/semester of science at UoM and try to transfer with it being similar quality but a much better location = much better 'uni experience'

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:52:49 pm »
Initially I wanted to go to Cayton, but the distance is what kills me. It's so far, and I don't think I would get the full uni experience, since it takes 90 mins one way by public transport and about an hour by car....

So then the dilemma arises, suck up this time and go to Monash Clayton (irregular offer) or do a year/semester of science at UoM and try to transfer with it being similar quality but a much better location = much better 'uni experience'
Can't say much about uom, but I'm in the same boat as you, I also take about 1hr and a bit more to get to Clayton by car, it's a pain travelling, but you get used to it eventually.
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

kwheattt

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:00:07 pm »

Can't say much about uom, but I'm in the same boat as you, I also take about 1hr and a bit more to get to Clayton by car, it's a pain travelling, but you get used to it eventually.

Yeah and I won't get my license until middle of this year..
how are your classes spread? can you organise them so they're convenient?

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 11:32:25 pm »
Yup I've been trying to minimize my days at uni ever since first year, luckily they all work out pretty well, I either have 1 or 2 day weeks, I usually put all my tutes on one day  (which you could certainly do if you're doing commerce) and then if I'm lucky a lecture could be on the same day as my tutes, if it's not then I never bother going to uni just for lectures. Last semester I had 1 day weeks (all day wednesday) and next sem I can do the same (all day friday). Sure, you might be missing out a bit on the "uni life", although there isn't much lively things happening everyday at uni tbh and come exams/mid sems you'd actually wanna minimize your time at uni so you can have time to study/do assignments/revise etc
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

kwheattt

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:57:23 am »
Sounds really good, and something that I would love to do. Do you think the same could be done for engineering? Like for the commerce/engineering major? Apparently, engineering is a little more structured :p

nmonogamy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 11:49:08 am »
is monash taking irregular offers? im overseas atm and its really hard to get in contact with them i emailed them yesterday....what are the chances of transfering to commerce at monash/melbourne after a year of business at monash

kwheattt

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 04:29:21 pm »
is monash taking irregular offers? im overseas atm and its really hard to get in contact with them i emailed them yesterday....what are the chances of transfering to commerce at monash/melbourne after a year of business at monash

Yeah Monash is taking irregular offers, they sound really keen too! But you have to get over the clearly-in and you should do it soon since i think the cut-off date is around the 30th (not sure)
and as for transferring, you need to maintain a 75+% average to transfer to melbourne, not sure about monash

nmonogamy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 01:09:31 am »
thanks i applied for arts at caulfield today and they have accepted me. im picking up mathematics this year at clayton because i didnt do methods in year 12,  hopfully transfer to commerce/arts next year

Kairubin

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 01:53:26 pm »
Honestly. Having been through it all. Which course you choose doesn't really matter. So long as you are good at what you do and have a better than "just pass" grade employers will consider you. It's not like you're studying at hbs. Although from experience there are a lot of Melbourne uni com students at top tier accounting firm interviews.

nmonogamy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 05:45:42 pm »
is there that much of a difference beween commerce at melbourne and commerce at monash? and considering this is my first year doing arts is getting a 70% + that hard as everyone makes it out to be?