Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:45:19 pm

Author Topic: Difference between 'magnetic field strength' and 'magnetic flux density'?  (Read 5557 times)  Share 

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
My A+ Notes for Physics says in the glossary that they are exactly the same thing but I'm not too confident about it. :/

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
+2
From my understanding (which could very well be incorrect):

Magnetic field strength refers to how close the lines are together (you'd know that the closer the field lines on a diagram, the stronger in magnitude it is). It's represented by the symbol B. I'm pretty sure there is something more detailed going on here when it comes to higher level physics.

I've seen another term for magnetic field strength and that is "magnetic flux density". You can sort of think of magnetic flux as the "amount of field lines" passing through an area. Density should remind you to the fact that these field lines may be closer together in an area or they may be further apart. So in this way, it is the same thing as magnetic field strength.

For extra confusion:
Magnetic field density, I'm pretty sure is just the magnetic flux. The use of the term density I think would just imply that it's to do with the "amount of magnetic field" in a certain area. Magnetic field is represented by magnetic field lines. This happens to be the definition that we are given for magnetic flux.

I hope that cleared things up. I also hope that I didn't contradict myself.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 05:56:03 pm by laseredd »

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Hahah, just a lot of 'magnetics' and 'fields' and 'fluxes'... so confusing!

So... they're the same thing?

LOL physics is stupid..

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
Hahah, just a lot of 'magnetics' and 'fields' and 'fluxes'... so confusing!

So... they're the same thing?

LOL physics is stupid..
Yeah, I tried to use the bold to make it a bit less confusing.

I find that it becomes a fairly clear concept once you think about it visually. I'm not a very good drawer so I won't attempt to make some diagrams.

You could also make use of the equations:

You know that:
Field strength:

Flux:

so, Flux density: (Weber per m^2 or Tesla)

To me, this looks kind of similar to (the notion of density that I'm more used to) though I guess it'd be more like (obviously not very a very mathematical statement, just me trying to compare the mathematical definition of density and make it applicable to the context - it makes sense to me). 

It's not stupid :P just different terminology. Magnetic field strength () and magnetic flux () are really the most common terms I come across. I rarely see the terms flux density and field density used that much in VCE Physics.