Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 03:55:39 am

Author Topic: Sample Essays for Encountering Conflict  (Read 61069 times)  Share 

cltf

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • You gotta be F***ing kidding.
  • Respect: +13
  • School: Camberwell Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Sample Essays for Encountering Conflict
« on: October 09, 2011, 11:37:46 am »
Does anybody have any sample essays for Encountering Conflict, preferably expository essays. I've looked over the sample essay thread and they all seem to be imaginative essays :S
Camberwell Grammar School Class of 2011

ATAR: 98.65

2010: Chinese [33]
2011: English[44] Methods [41] Chemistry [42] Legal Studies [41] Viscom [48]
2012: Commerce/Law @ Monash University

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
Re: Sample Essays for Encountering Conflict
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:01:23 pm »
Hello;
I got a 9/10 (18/20) for this

Context : Encountering Conflict
Prompt:

It is an image.
Background of this image & my planning:
It is by picasso, made during the korean war era.
The ideas i drew from this were:
- doves = sometimes we must fight for peace
- two faces = our true feelings are not revealed during times of conflict
- tank vs sword/shield = conflict is often one sided
- tank’s guns pointing everywhere – conflict is reckless

Essay:

Sometimes to achieve what we want, we may have to do something contradictory. The notion of fighting for peace comes to mind as we unravel the many wars and court battles which have taken place in the past, and are still prevalent today. In the end, much is lost, but stability is regained as one side completely dominates the other. Who could ever forget the McCarthyist fever that once gripped America, which resulted in trashed reputations and broken alliances between old colleagues? Those accused of being communists and communist sympathisers trying to overthrow the government in place stood no fighting chance in what was largely a one-sided war, where few good willed men emanating with solidarity fought an ugly, reckless war machine – one that they had perhaps inadvertently created themselves. HUAC victim and Playwright Arthur Miller teaches us, through his allegorical play The Crucible that choosing to fight for peace, rather than conceding to an abuse of power may result in great losses such as one’s career or even life,  allows for the establishment of peace and stability for our underlying emotions – which is the greatest peace of all.

A man tortured “by his own vision of decent conduct”, John Proctor is able to show that whilst there may be “no ritual for the washing away of sins”, through fighting for what is right it is possible to regain moral sanctity. As Proctor makes the decision to give up his “good name” in an effort to save his friends and family, he takes a step forward in resolving the underlying conflict behind the façade of an invulnerable wall immune to emotional pain. Not only is he morally redeemed of his unfaithfulness, the tenuous strain on his relationship with his wife is relieved and made to be much stronger than before. Despite his inability to save his friends, we are shown that fighting against a seemingly invulnerable enemy for peace, is by no means as futile as it may sound, because in the end inner resolve can still be achieved.

However, if peace is to be achieved through war, our intentions must be pure. Senator McCarthy was nothing more than a politician corrupted by the power he wielded and the thought of losing it. As he condemned people on very little basis, he condemned too himself. After being revealed for the demagogue he was, he went into a state of depression, dying in the end from liver failure, resulting from his alcohol addiction. Hardly a heroic death, for a man once at America’s frontline for the fight against the “Red Devils”. In stark contrast, the victims of McCarthy’s reign gained further publicity and were commended for their heroic actions and even today, 50 years on, they are studied in schools. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with fighting for peace, despite as contradictory as this idea sounds, as in the end those who fight with the good intentions are able to clear their conscience. However, it is so often the case that one becomes disillusioned by the power they wield that they are no longer fighting for peace, but rather, power.

There is however one man in history, who fought for what he believe in was right – which included “naming names” to save himself. Even today, he is condemned for his actions. I talk about Elia Kazan, the notorious Hollywood director who for the past five decades has been erroneously labelled as a ‘’traitor’. What many fail to realise is the ordeals faced by this man, and that during times of conflict, people have a tendency of shielding their emotions from the eyes of others. Who knows of the permanent scars left on Kazan, as he was pressured into choosing career over friends? Who sympathises for the man, who after winning a lifetime achievement award had to face half a crowd unwilling to acknowledge him? Although it is not known whether Kazan regretted his actions, “He is a sinner … against the moral fashion of time” and there is no way for him to mitigate those sins now. Whilst in most cases when we fight for peace we are able to attain it, there are instances where this is not so, such as Kazan’s. It is therefore imperative to realise that conflict can have devastating impacts and the best chance of obtaining peace is to forgive oneself for sins committed, even if the entire world still condemns you.

Finally, it could be said that it is not impossible to attain peace through conflict, and furthermore, a lost battle has the potential to lead to a clear conscience. Every so often, we see those who are troubled until the end by the battles they fought and lost, and in those times it is most important to maintain solidarity.

fin

Although it was graded by my teacher who is not an examiner and may have been marked lighter - i am not entirely sure.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:01:05 pm by nacho »
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 04:16:41 pm »
Yes! i'd love some encountering conflict samples as well, i feel so lost and confused with context :(

LOVEPHYSICS

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:06:01 pm »
+1
Conflicts from history can teach us many things about ourselves.

In the 5th century, the philosopher Plato insightfully noted, ‘Only the dead have seen the end of war,” with history showing this to be true. People have continued to engage in all manner of conflicts, be they petty arguments or large-scale confrontations from which valuable lessons have been learnt about human nature and the present. History has revealed the flaws and primitive nature of people irrespective of the mistaken belief that progress has led to civilisation and order. Past conflicts teach that individuals, communities and even nations do not learn from past mistakes but continue to repeat them and that despite eventually being resolved, the effects have the ability to linger and haunt subsequent generations. History also teaches that conflict invariably occurs when people or nations act for self-interest and personal gain, or and when uncompromising authorities exploit their absolute power over citizens to ensure their authority remains unquestioned. Also by understanding the causes of past conflicts, individuals may reflect on their own behaviours and hopefully prevent them from occurring in the present, or if they do, provide a guide as to how to best minimise the damage they cause by knowing how to resolve them quickly and equitably before they spread beyond the main combatants which they invariably do.

History has shown that conflict emerges as a result of individuals’, groups and even nations’ subjectivity relating to their needs, values interests.  It is during these periods of heightened emotions that individuals are required to re-evaluate notions of right and wrong, and in the process, forced to choose between their beliefs and desires, and the negative consequences to others. The duality of human nature, largely the result of the inability to control our emotions sees people become reactionary and fail to act rationally or morally without consideration of the ramifications of their actions. History has shown that ignorance and selfishness create and fuel conflicts seeing many incapable of acting humanly or with compassion. The British colonisers in the past believed that they had the right to claim Australian lands as they are no written records kept, despite the Aboriginies having lived their for tens of thousands of years. The colonisers simply claimed Australia as their own and imposed English laws to all inhabitants including the natives, killing those who opposed them. In the speech given out by President Keating in the 1990s, now known as the Redfern address, he acknowledges that it ‘our ignorance and our prejudice’ that allowed for false truths and beliefs to be created and racial injustices to occur; the Stolen Generation and the attempts to destroy aboriginal culture as cases in point.

Past conflict shows that nations and individuals are prone to act in the interests of their self. Mankind’s self-serving and greedy natures are common and it is the inability to govern these desires that give rise to conflict. History teaches that many powerful countries have instigated and fuelled conflicts irrespective of the consequences, in order to promote their agendas and cement their power. Greed for power, resources, land or the protection of political ideologies and lifestyles are common in the historical record. US fear of the domino effect during the 1950s and the 1980s, as related to the spread of Communism across Asia led to the invasion of Vietnam with the justification that the war would bring freedom and democracy to a nation on the cusp of a revolution that was leaning towards communism. The hypocrisy of a freedom loving nation imposing its political ideology upon another has long been condemned, and yet the political agendas that drove it have been repeated time and time again with the current Iraq war evidence of this. History also teaches that all conflicts invariably spread beyond the initial combatants, as was the case with Vietnam which saw Russians, Chinese and the Koreans take up arms, but also Australia and other Western nations.

History teaches that power imbalances will inevitably produce conflict, and that the weaker party or individual must always surrender to the will of the powerful or be destroyed completely.  The Greek Historian, Thucydides, succinctly expresses this reality, ‘The strong do what they could, and the weak suffer what they must.’ History shows that unequal relationships of power see the stronger party dictate and prey on the weak; committing injustices in the process of securing their own political and personal agendas. The fanatical Taliban’s strict fundamentalist interpretation of the Quran is viewed by other religious and even other Muslims as a means of furthering their political agenda of creating a theocracy which they rule. Through their interpretation of the Quran, the Taliban impose their views on the people, views that justify torture and killing, as well as the oppression of women. Citizens are powerless to resist knowing that any opposition will be quashed and justified as being in the name of Islam. European countries such as the Poles, Hungarians and the Romanians have garnered much criticism over the years for allowing the Nazis during World War 2 to commit unprecedented acts of genocide on the Jewish people. Fearing for their own safety if they defied the Nazis, many European countries complied, which in turn led to the massacre of millions of Jews. In defence, these European nations rationalised that they had to submit as they were powerless to stop the Nazis. However, their passiveness is considered by many to be immoral and thus is believed to be as guilty as the perpetrators themselves.

The past reveals that it is difficult to prevent the escalation of conflicts, and that the negative consequences they cause do not simply end when peace is declared. Having been involved in civil wars to Western invasions over the centuries, true peace in today’s Afghanistan becomes increasingly unlikely. Conflicts in Afghanistan are self-perpetuating, and the consequences of one war will only breed the causes and conditions of the next. Najaf in the Rugmaker points out that Afghanis are so use to conflict that he knows men ‘who would be prepared… to commit themselves and a hundred generations of their family to battle, from now until the end of the world.’ Najaf’s understanding of conflict acknowledges its futility and tendency to ‘tear down every building,’ as they are generational and the negative consequences continuing after a tentative peace is achieved. The loss of human life impacts families as does the destruction of infrastructure that prevents people from living normal safe lives and achieving all forms of progress. The historical wrongs involved in the colonisation of Australia is an example of racism continuing to haunt the nation today, as aboriginal Australian continue to be marginalised and feel the effects of past racial conflicts, despite Rudd’s recent apology.

Though accustomed to a life of conflict, looking to the past can provide valuable insights as to how best resolve and prevent the instigation and escalation of conflicts. While conflict is an inherent part of being human, there are also ways in which individuals or nations can behave in order to minimise the damage conflict can inflict. History teaches that understanding causes of conflict and then practicing constant vigilance both as individuals and communities is the only way to avoid them or minimise their damage.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:26:56 pm by LOVEPHYSICS »
Arts/Law (ANU)

hala_madrid

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:09:44 pm »
Hello;
I got a 9/10 (18/20) for the first with the man vs tank picture (conflict prompt is image)
Re: [English] Language Analysis

Although it was graded by my teacher who is not an examiner and may have been marked lighter - i am not entirely sure.
I heard the prompt this year could be an image. Were you told this too?
2011 ATAR: 98.40

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 05:12:51 pm »
Yeeah, my teacher was saying that prompts can be pictures - but it's unlikey for the exam.

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 07:59:04 pm »
Hello;
I got a 9/10 (18/20) for the first with the man vs tank picture (conflict prompt is image)
Re: [English] Language Analysis

I heard the prompt this year could be an image. Were you told this too?
yep thats why im writing on like at least 5 image prompts, to get the hang of things
i really hope it is an image, 95% of the state will be scratching their noodles
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

hala_madrid

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 09:46:20 pm »
+1
to be honest, i really don't think there's any way they would give an image. half the state wouldn't know what to do or would do it completely wrong, and the entire section would be a joke.
2011 ATAR: 98.40

LOVEPHYSICS

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 09:49:43 pm »
You won't get an image by itself. What you could get is a prompt with an image, a small and insignificant one. Even that seems highly unlikely.
Arts/Law (ANU)