Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:57:27 am

Author Topic: VCE Environmental Science Online  (Read 7037 times)  Share 

brittgow

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
VCE Environmental Science Online
« on: September 04, 2011, 02:04:24 pm »
If you are interested in studying this subject, which includes energy, biodiversity, climate change, pollution and environmental management, but it is not offered at your school, there is an opportunity for limited numbers of students to study online using Blackboard Collaborate (web conferencing), email, Skype and my blog at http://vceenviroscience.edublogs.org.au.
Further information is available on my blog.

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
Re: VCE Environmental Science Online
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:17:22 pm »
The link provided gives an error, I'm assuming you're talking about http://vceenviroscience.edublogs.org.

The enrolment form (which is just a google docs thing) asks for personal details over some blog seems pretty dodgy, should raise a few alarms. I would remain suspicious with handing over personal details in this manner.

Are you offering a distance education kind of service - if so, you should be doing it a bit more professionally and provide some documentation that you're recognised as a school by VCAA or whatever. Or are you just providing information about the subject content (like vceit.com), then you could probably make that a bit clear if that is the case.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:25:52 pm »
This looks like quite a dodgy sort of production, like, who's running these and what are their qualifications, and is this accredited by VCAA...etc.
It's all very vague information...though i might be mistaken
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:12:19 pm by paulsterio »

Romperait

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:45:58 pm »
http://environmentalscience.ning.com/forum/topics/vce-environmental-science

I'd assume that this initiative of completing the course online is to help the subject, which is still quite new and as a result isn't offered in many schools (not even DECV), be exposed to more students. Taking into account the slightly different approach to environmental science as a subject compared to say...any other available science, the resources provided on that website are legit and useful for the variety of case studies one can cover.

I'm pretty confident that the website posted by brittgow isn't dodgy; not entirely clear on what the requirements are for setting up a school of sorts for teaching a subject, so yeah maybe more information from the OP needed to clarify for those who might be interested.

diam0nds

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 06:12:54 pm »
It's legit guys, it looks a bit dodgy but it's not lol.  I do Enviro 3/4 with my school but go on that website sometimes, and they have an Illuminate chatroom thing (like an online lesson I guess) on certain nights and they record it and post them on the website, which I watch sometimes for revision it's great :)

Enviro would be an easy subject to do by distance as well, so if your school doesn't offer it, go for this I think it's a great opportunity :D
2011: Environmental Science
2012: English | Methods | Indo SL | Biology | Chemistry