Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:21:21 am

Author Topic: The exam - advice  (Read 17504 times)  Share 

BA22

The exam - advice
« on: October 31, 2007, 03:37:09 pm »
+1
Hello Boys and Girls

Seems we're all a bit nervous for the impending exam on friday, but if i can borrow a phrase "Don't worry, be happy". Some here are still frantic in wrting, hoping they can pull back the time they've wasted throughout the year.

A few of the essays posted on this site seem to have the same problem
- Vague
- Lacking complexity
- Lacking relevance

This trend points to a lack of textual knowledge, suggesting that instead of pouring effort into writing, you should really go over your text notes and themes to really walk into the exam on friday with an ability to write confidently. Vague generalisations convey a lack of confidence in your knowledge of the text. There's no need to re-read it, but some could do with a refreshing of their novels to ensure they are thoroughly dealing with the topic they are attempting. If you only have a limited knowledge of the text, then you'll be drawn to discussing elements of it that you are familiar with. Being relevant is key to combat the recent perception of Huggard and his cronies that we're all obsessed with prepared responses.

I'd like to reccomend to everyone to do the writing task first, most of us already know this, but for those who don't it's really efficient time management strategy, as the material is fresh in your mind, and you can begin planning

I'd advise a refresher of how to write an editorial, they haven't been on for a few years, and could likely appear

Staying relevant to the prompt in part 2 essays will limit the confusion over the difference between the two.  part 2 prompt will engage you to discuss themes, so therfore maintaining a tight, relevant response will help you write an effective part 2 essay. Approach the structure of your essay thematically, as opposed to character based to further reinorce to the examiner than you are discussing the underlying values of the text

Nerves? We all get them, and they are helpful to a certain extent, below are some arousal reduction tecniques to quiet those butterflies.

Breathing control - Slow, rhythmical breathing will slow your HR and contribute to a relaxed mmod

Progressive muscle relaxation - Tensing and releasing groups of muscles from head to toe will allow the release of mental tension with the physical release

Plan!!! Nobody, i repeat nobody is above planning. Take at least 10 minutes to flesh out 3 dot point per paragraph in your response. This creates a map of ideas that you can follow and refer to. You'll be suprised how effective this technique is at giving you momentum and direction when writing. You wont waste that 5 minuts looking at the celing because you already have the skeleton of yor essay figured out. Filling the rest is te easy part

Having trouble starting? Sum up you opinion of the topic in one sentence, and write it down. Sounds easy? Well, it is

The most simplistic approaches can be invaluable to just get underway writing, allowing you to maximise your time management and allow that ll important revision time at the end of your essay to go over your response and chnge these simplistic sentences if you wish. You might be tempted to launch into a grand display of your vocabulary, but clarity is an underestimated component if a response. Be clear, rather than clever. It is more important to make intelligent observations than use intelligent words. If you truly have a good grasp on vocab, then the words will seamlessly enter your essay, highlighting your point, as opposed to being as conspiciously inaccurate in application (all you shift+F7's out there).

Most of all, know that every single person is in it with you, you an only do your best. Relax now, because stressing and writing your hand off will not help you. Study smart. Expose yourself to as many questions as possible. Instead of writing an essay, practise writing on single themes and implementing evidence, this will reduce pressure during practice.

All the best, the fact that so many of us spend time here getting advice shows how commited you are . .or how much of a procrastinator you are. I like to think it's the former.

I don't need to ue the word luck, because we're all going to be fantastic

Timtasticle

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
The exam - advice
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 04:01:51 pm »
Wow, some very wise words of wisdom right there.

Good stuff.

brendan

Re: The exam - advice
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 04:04:10 pm »
Quote from: "BA22"

- Lacking complexity

The essay itself ought not be complex. Rather, it should show an understanding of the complexities of the text.

BA22

Re: The exam - advice
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 04:06:27 pm »
Quote from: "brendan"

- Lacking complexity

The essay itself ought not be complex. Rather, it should show an understanding of the complexities of the text.

thats what i mean, lacking a discussion of the complexities of the text

English jargon my teachers use, and most teachers to be honest

joechan521

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
The exam - advice
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 04:26:03 pm »
thx for the wonderful advices

i don't think i can absorb much from it, brain is so stuffed up, can't remember anything
06 method47 chinese 2nd language advanced39
07 english39 specailist44 accounting44 further48 psychology35
07 ENTER 99.15

vce_2007

The exam - advice
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 04:37:11 pm »
wow that was probably the best english advice I have ever heard

thanks  :)

Odette

The exam - advice
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 04:38:07 pm »
Thanks for the advice :) I'm not as worried anymore :) ....Just a question, wouldn't it be better for someone to do the text responses to avoid forgetting quotes or anything? or possibly quickly jotting down some quotes before tackling the writing task? Just wondering :)

BA22

The exam - advice
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 04:41:33 pm »
that depends, do you think you are more likely to forget quotes you've been learning for 6 months, or stimulus material you've had for 15 minutes?

Odette

The exam - advice
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 04:44:05 pm »
that depends, do you think you are more likely to forget quotes you've been learning for 6 months, or stimulus material you've had for 15 minutes?

I could always read over the stimulus material because its right there infront of me, but the quotes aren't...

BA22

The exam - advice
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 04:48:49 pm »
Quote from: "Odette"
I could always read over the stimulus material because its right there infront of me, but the quotes aren't...

maybe. . but then you've read the stimulus material twice. Wasting 10 minutes

Doing reading time --> listing quotes --> writing task doesn't work either because then your banking on those quotes to appear in your essay, which you won't have planned. It is possible to do the writing task last, by all means, and if that suits you, then yeh, go for it

But i know which way i'm doing it on friday

Odette

The exam - advice
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 04:50:27 pm »

maybe. . but then you've read the stimulus material twice. Wasting 10 minutes

Doing reading time --> listing quotes --> writing task doesn't work either because then your banking on those quotes to appear in your essay, which you won't have planned. It is possible to do the writing task, by all means, and if that suits you, then yeh, go for it

But i know which way i'm doing it on friday

Ok thanks :)
I'll see how i go on the day...

choc_bananas

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
The exam - advice
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 04:53:17 pm »
Here is my plan for the exam. :-)

feel free to adopt/change/discard!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading Time (15 minutes)

2 mins ? Skim all text essay questions for the three texts (find them!). Do any immediately appeal?
5 mins ? Carefully read and reflect on the Writing Task
   Why is it so controversial?
   Who are the stakeholders?
   How has this evolved?
   How might this be resolved?
   What stance is taken in the analytical piece?
3 mins - Return to the text questions, select question, open the dimensions of the question and brainstorm.
2 mins - Determine precise textual details / quotations you might draw upon as evidence.
3 mins - Re-read the writing task
   Hear the tone of Part 1 material.
   Identify best Part 2 question for you to do.

Writing Time (180 minutes)

5 mins ? plan language analysis
25 mins ? write language analysis

5 mins - plan point of view
25 mins ? write point of view

5 mins - plan text response part 1
50 mins ? write text response part 1

5 mins - plan text response part 2
50 mins ? write text response part 2

10 mins ? proof reading and editing
b]History is the only laboratory we have in which to test the consequences of thought.[/b]
 - Etienne Gilson

bilgia

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
The exam - advice
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 04:55:55 pm »
im going with the issues first then txt response...seems logical to work on something you have just read in the reading time..

chocbanas : i think you would need more time on the issues section for analysis especially..its not something that can be done in 25mins..30-35 is more reasonable...i mean you spend the whole year studying txt's and its more of something that you should immediately know where as issues is a spur of the moment type of task with respect to picking out techniques and placing them in your natural style
but this is all just my opinion
My Subjects:
2006 I.T Systems --> 42
2007 English --> 40
         Methods --> 41
         Spec --> 38
         Chem --> 36
         Physics --> 37
         Unimaths --> 5.5

ENTER: 97.35

Odette

The exam - advice
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 04:57:59 pm »
Quote from: "choc_bananas"
Here is my plan for the exam. :-)

feel free to adopt/change/discard!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading Time (15 minutes)

2 mins ? Skim all text essay questions for the three texts (find them!). Do any immediately appeal?
5 mins ? Carefully read and reflect on the Writing Task
   Why is it so controversial?
   Who are the stakeholders?
   How has this evolved?
   How might this be resolved?
   What stance is taken in the analytical piece?
3 mins - Return to the text questions, select question, open the dimensions of the question and brainstorm.
2 mins - Determine precise textual details / quotations you might draw upon as evidence.
3 mins - Re-read the writing task
   Hear the tone of Part 1 material.
   Identify best Part 2 question for you to do.

Writing Time (180 minutes)

5 mins ? plan language analysis
25 mins ? write language analysis

5 mins - plan point of view
25 mins ? write point of view

5 mins - plan text response part 1
50 mins ? write text response part 1

5 mins - plan text response part 2
50 mins ? write text response part 2

10 mins ? proof reading and editing

Seems like a good plan :)

choc_bananas

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
The exam - advice
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 05:01:37 pm »

Seems like a good plan :)

hopefully it works!

im so stressed that i wont be able to complete the language analysis, i struggle to write anything decent in such a short time... grr.. i'm hoping my TR's will subsidize the Writing Task!
b]History is the only laboratory we have in which to test the consequences of thought.[/b]
 - Etienne Gilson