Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:01:24 pm

Author Topic: Class of 2014! :D  (Read 1483431 times)  Share 

AmericanBeauty

Re: Class of 2014! :D
« Reply #5220 on: October 26, 2014, 08:35:23 am »
+2
Hmm I'm sensing a knowledge/environment alternating pattern emerging. I put ten cents on this year's LA being something to do with the internet/intellectual property/dangers of technological revolution. Taking bets on alternative predictions.
I put 3fiddy on it being relevant to some cynical pessimist complaining about a new building construction or some boring AF mother complaining about bullying online. Or ... I don't know if they could do this but at the time of writing the exam the whole Essendon peptide saga was big news. Get some opinion piece condemning it bam.

PsychoT

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +12
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #5221 on: October 26, 2014, 08:45:38 am »
I put 3fiddy on it being relevant to some cynical pessimist complaining about a new building construction or some boring AF mother complaining about bullying online. Or ... I don't know if they could do this but at the time of writing the exam the whole Essendon peptide saga was big news. Get some opinion piece condemning it bam.

I'd analyse the fuck out of that. Please happen.

I reckon it'd be on something like the dangers of smoking or alcohol. Someone complaining about the both of course.
2014 - Chemistry [?] English [?] Further Maths [?] Geography [?] Business Management [?]

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #5222 on: October 26, 2014, 09:11:28 am »
+15
After reading the past papers, I am seriously not looking forward to language analysis. Seriously, these must be the most boring and least passionate pieces I have ever seen.

In a nutshell:
"We need to make gardens and eat vegetables" - 2013
"We need to read books" - 2012
"We need to preserve trees" - 2010
"We need to use technology" - 2009

You forgot:
"We need to all get tattoos with real meaning, but also not get tattoos because they've lost their meaning, but I'm the only one whose tattoo has any real value because I'm a feminist, but also your tattoos make my tattoos worthless so I hate you, but you should really get a tattoos because tattoos are awesome, but they're not awesome anymore because people keep getting tattoos" - 2011

Actually the pattern I came up with was that every article had something to do with change:
"Changing this area into a garden is a good idea" - 2013
"The change from books to ebooks might not be such a good idea" - 2012
"Tattoos have changed" - and let's just leave it at that - 2011
"Climate change, and how we need to change our mindset/ reach goals" - 2010
"Changes in technology are a good thing" - 2009
"Sports clubs are being changed by abusive parents and we should change back" - 2008

Seems like there's an even distribution of 'here's a great idea for a change we should embrace' and 'change is awful and why can't we go back to the good old days?'

Also, rest assured, it won't have anything to do with a media story or real event. Since there are interstate, and even international kids who sit the VCE exams, giving you a story on the Essendon saga would give you an advantage, especially for anyone who was following the case. More likely they'll construct a scenario, probably a speech this year, and either comment on general trends within society (eg. 2010, 2009) or a highly specific case (2013, 2008)

There's a reason they don't go for highly opinionated/ passionate/ real articles; supposedly it's easier to analyse if you don't care :)

DJA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Literature is the question minus the answer.
  • Respect: +201
« Reply #5223 on: October 26, 2014, 11:36:48 am »
What's the plan today people?

Smash out a couple hundred essays? ;)

I'm actually not doing any english today - just bio - finishing final VCAA papers.
2014 - English (50, Premier's Award)| Music Performance (50, Premier's Award) | Literature (46~47) | Biology (47) | Chemistry (41) |  MUEP Chemistry (+4.5)  ATAR: 99.70

Griffith University Gold Coast Queensland
2015 - 2017 Bachelor of Medical Science (BMedSc)
2017 - 2021 Doctor of Medicine (MD)

DJA's Guide to Language Analysis (Section C)
DJA's guide on the topic of English Expression (Text response)

myanacondadont

• No exam discussion
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #5224 on: October 26, 2014, 11:41:07 am »

I'm actually not doing any english today - just bio - finishing final VCAA papers.

Hmm well I've written 2 essays so far today under exam conditions - Language analysis and a Text response. Hoping to do a context piece later today and I'll probably do a bit of methods somewhere too.

walkec

« Reply #5225 on: October 26, 2014, 11:47:39 am »

I have done the 2014 Engage Education Bio paper and I just finished a Section A essay and scanned and emailed it to my teacher (only one email this time!)

I'm about to start a short answer exam for Further and then I am focusing on learning external examples for context. My teacher's feedback yesterday said that not using any other texts in my section B piece yesterday was the difference between a 9 and a 10. I then plan to go over a few sections of a my section A book and maybe write a section B piece.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #5226 on: October 26, 2014, 11:50:45 am »

Are you doing >2006 paper only?
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

DJA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5227 on: October 26, 2014, 12:00:30 pm »
nup did all from 2002
2014 - English (50, Premier's Award)| Music Performance (50, Premier's Award) | Literature (46~47) | Biology (47) | Chemistry (41) |  MUEP Chemistry (+4.5)  ATAR: 99.70

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5228 on: October 26, 2014, 12:10:44 pm »
nup did all from 2002
Has the study design changed? Or is it still doable?

DJA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5229 on: October 26, 2014, 12:15:04 pm »
Study design definitely changed - theres a lot of knowledge stuff that you no longer require - such as like remembering specifics on glucose homeostasis as well a lot of nervous system specifics. But definitely doable. Just skip the questions which require the specific memorised knowledge, new study design will give you info in stem.

But I figure if you can smash the older papers - the latest papers are super easy in comparison. :) VCE Biology like many other subjects have just been dumbed down over the years so yeah.

I'm literally only starting the 2008 papers today and am planning to get through 5 sets of papers in the next 3 days or so. The improvement is fun as well - easier papers as you go on.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5230 on: October 26, 2014, 12:19:39 pm »
+1
Study design definitely changed - theres a lot of knowledge stuff that you no longer require - such as like remembering specifics on glucose homeostasis as well a lot of nervous system specifics. But definitely doable. Just skip the questions which require the specific memorised knowledge, new study design will give you info in stem.

But I figure if you can smash the older papers - the latest papers are super easy in comparison. :) VCE Biology like many other subjects have just been dumbed down over the years so yeah.

I'm literally only starting the 2008 papers today and am planning to get through 5 sets of papers in the next 3 days or so. The improvement is fun as well - easier papers as you go on.
I've done >2006 except 2013 that is (saving it for wednesday or thursday haha), not cocky or anything but yes they are quite easy in comparison (especially when compared to company based papers). At the moment I'm doing TSSM, STAV etc but I might give <2006 exams a go :)

How many papers have you done?

DJA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5231 on: October 26, 2014, 12:24:05 pm »
I really haven't done too many papers. I've concentrated on knowing the course really really well.

Done like millions of 3-4 company papers. Now I'm just doing VCAA - if I run out before friday I'll do the rest of the company ones haha  :)

How many of you done?

marsbareater12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
  • School: Flinders
« Reply #5232 on: October 26, 2014, 12:28:34 pm »

I literally just started memorizing my quotes, hahaha. Probably should've done this before my SAC....oh well;P

Does anyone know the relative quality of TSSM papers to VCAA/other exams? Just did one for Accounting, and I'm not sure where I should be feeling with the mark.
2013 : Philosophy (31) | VCE VET Hospitality (Kitchen Operations) (31)

2014 : Food Tech (40) | Accounting (35) | Art (39) | Visual Communication Design (40) | English (38) [hopefully!!]

(serial abuser of brackets)

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5233 on: October 26, 2014, 12:35:32 pm »
I really haven't done too many papers. I've concentrated on knowing the course really really well.

Done like millions of 3-4 company papers. Now I'm just doing VCAA - if I run out before friday I'll do the rest of the company ones haha  :)

How many of you done?
I've still got to master the last AoS LOL.  ::)
I've done 15 papers thus far, hoping for ~25 by thursday (not sure if I want to study a day before an exam :/)

DJA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5234 on: October 26, 2014, 12:36:43 pm »
I've still got to master the last AoS LOL.  ::)
I've done 15 papers thus far, hoping for ~25 by thursday (not sure if I want to study a day before an exam :/)

nice :)

I'll post my justification from my good friend rice (goes to my school - the king of bio - all hail)
Just a tip regarding practice exams (worked for me last year):

The best prep for Section B you can get is doing VCAA exams - these are the most accurate reflection of the content you need to know and the marking schemes represent the most favourable ways of answering questions (remember that exam technique is just as important as having the knowledge when it comes to VCE Bio).

By all means use external companies' papers for practice but don't give toooooo much weight to the specifics of the marking schemes as they aren't official; if your expression is not significantly off and you know what's up then you are doing fine. What you want to do is to tailor your answering technique to VCAA past exams. The examiner's reports are gold for this; be especially harsh on yourself when marking a VCAA past paper.

Good luck!