Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:33:13 am

Author Topic: 1/2 - Need help on extended response questions  (Read 1269 times)  Share 

more_vanilla

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
1/2 - Need help on extended response questions
« on: May 24, 2014, 04:11:08 pm »
Hey all! I have an upcoming assessment task that comprises of 3 extended response questions relating to Australia being a Western Liberal Democracy. We are given 60 minutes and it is to be completed in class (all in one go) with no notes.
I got C+ in my last assessment task (lol evidently GloPol is not a subject i spend much time on) and the advice my teacher gave me was: to include my own view point, elaborate on ideas, and include recent examples. I'm probably going to switch out of GloPol at the end of this semester but because i am big on self improvement I would really love to achieve a B+ before leaving.

I've come up with 5 practice topics (teacher approved) and am aiming to write on at least 2 topics in full. The topics are:
1) How can the term 'democracy' be defined? You should include the 6 criteria (popular sovereignty, majority will prevails, participation, representation, accountability, & political equality) and make reference to examples relevant to Australian Politics.
2) To what degree can Australia be described as a democracy?
3) To what extent does the Western culture and values have an influence on the Australian identity?
4) Where are the liberal features most evident in the Australian political system?
5) What does it mean to be classified as a Western Liberal Democracy? 

Please help me improve! I think the things i have difficulty with could also be relevant to some 3/4 students.
- I'm really struggling with 'including my viewpoint' because i feel like i don't know enough about the topic to provide commentary/make judgment on Aus's political situation =.=
- Elaborating ideas takes too long! We only receive 20 minutes on average for each response and that wasn't even enough for me to finish my crappy general responses last time T_T 
- Include recent examples? When reading the paper I cant decipher what information would be relevant for my responses... that's to say IF i read the paper

Any advice and/or tips are much appreciated!!
Also, if you have time to spare or are simply interested, could you please help me come up with arguments/responses/examples for my proposed topics? :))

Thank you  :D 

2014: Psychology, Accounting
2015: Methods, Further, EngLang, HHD, UMEP Accounting

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
Re: 1/2 - Need help on extended response questions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 12:28:40 pm »
A C+ is a grade to be proud of, considering this subject isn't easy!
Firstly why are you dropping Global? It's a great subject, I for one didn't do ½ but am doing ¾ at the moment, and its such a diverse and interesting subject, best choice :P

Anyways! When it comes to your 5 practise prompts, I personally think (hey I may be wrong) #2 and #3 are quite definite and most likely similar to the actual SAC question. Just make sure you show an influx of Global Politics terminology throughout your piece.
Elaborating on the ideas is crucial; simply explain the role/objective the 'idea' aims to achieve. For 'including your viewpoint' you don't necessarily need to agree with the intention of the global actor/etc just add a sentence or two comparing the two different interpretations and explain which has been more effective. Simplicity is key.

Lastly the paper isn't toooooo much of a good source when it comes to Global Politics, try Russian Times, Foreign Policy or VICE. These references will keep you updated and comfortable with recent examples being in the back of your head whenever needed.

I really can't say much as I never did ½ for Global, but I hope this helps :)

Good luck!  ;D
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

more_vanilla

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: 1/2 - Need help on extended response questions
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:45:03 pm »
Thanks for replying!!

I'm just not very committed to this subject.. although I admit it is interesting and I feel like the smartest person in the world when I understand what's going on in class hahaha

I'll take your tips on board when I write on one of the topics! And I'll check out the websites before the next assessment task.

Thanks again and good luck in 3/4 global politics :))
2014: Psychology, Accounting
2015: Methods, Further, EngLang, HHD, UMEP Accounting