Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:39:59 am

Author Topic: 3/4 Global without 1/2  (Read 2619 times)  Share 

TazzyGirl

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
3/4 Global without 1/2
« on: November 26, 2013, 05:20:18 pm »
I'm picking up this subject in Year 12 2014 because it really interests me
What are the best ways to prepare over the holidays, and catch up on unit 1/2 Global that I missed?
'14:  English | Further Mathematics | Accounting | Economics | Global Politics

ECheong

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Nossal High School
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: 3/4 Global without 1/2
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 05:35:14 pm »
Hi, I just finished up Global 3/4 this year without doing 1+2 and, to be completely honest, I've never needed to go and specifically look into 1+2 Global. It's definitely a subject which is eminently doable without knowing what's covered in 1+2.

In terms of preparation, my first and foremost suggestion would be to begin to know the study design inside and out. Even though Global is an incredibly wide-ranging subject, the study design places limitations on what can (and will) be asked and hence will help you direct what you need to know.

Other than that, reading up on international relations news and being aware of what's going on will help immensely. Good resources to start with are Foreign Policy magazine, The Guardian and The Economist. Begin noting down any events you believe are pertinent to the study design although admittedly, some of this will be difficult as many specific examples will be dependent on which focus areas your school decides to do within each area of study.

Hope this helps and good luck!
BBiomedSci/LLB (Monash)

TazzyGirl

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 05:43:17 pm »
+1
Wow, thanks so much! That makes me feel a lot more confident going into Global next year :)
Good luck with receiving your results!

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:25:23 pm »
The subject is literally designed to be done without 3/4. I have no idea what's covered in 1/2, and I don't think I did too badly. Over the holidays, best thing to do would be to construct a glossary of key terms (there's one in the SEV textbook, use it as a reference), and come up with examples and stats to pair with the definitions. sososo useful for assessment. Start a document now, and fill it with dot point summaries of examples from every AoS - percentages, dates, events and figures. That's what I wish I'd done sometime prior to two days before the exam.

TazzyGirl

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 04:35:35 pm »
Okay, I'll definitely be doing that over these holidays. The teacher I have next year suggested to make a glossary to revise, too. By the way, what is the SEV textbook thing you mentioned?

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 05:03:08 pm »
I'm (fairly) sure it's the only glopol textbook there is. The blue one written by Anna-Louise Simpson.

TazzyGirl

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 05:15:16 pm »
Awesome, I'll try get it off a friend or something :)