Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:55:06 am

Author Topic: Possible essay topics for Crises and Responses (aka procrastination)  (Read 1522 times)  Share 

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Preparing for crises and responses as your essay topic? Why not brainstorm ideas for what the topics could be together? The ones I think might be on there are:

Discuss/Evaluate the causes
Discuss/Evaluate the responses
Discuss/Evaluate the challenges
Discuss/Evaluate the extent to which there has been an effective resolution
'The concept of sovereignty poses the largest challenge to actors responding to global crises'Discuss/Evaluate
???

I've also heard speculation about key concepts as an essay topic, although I think that would be way too complicated... Like, 'Discuss the concept of just war in relation to inter and intra state conflict' and then like 3 more options relating to other crises. Plausible or pre-exam stress hallucinations?
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +30
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Possible essay topics for Crises and Responses (aka procrastination)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 12:09:04 pm »
+1
They might narrow down the responses to specifics like

Discuss diplomatic/economic/military/political responses.... etc.

It'd be SO cruel for them to bring in key concepts, especially since they vary per crisis. The prompt format would have to be like:

4. Global Crises (Pick one of the topics you studied)
  i. Something horridly specific about conflict
  ii. Something horridly specific about terrorism
  iii. etc etc

The study design definitely allows for it but I really don't think they'll go for that, and especially so early on the in study design, but VCAA likes to scare us every now and then HAHA.

My prediction is "Discuss/Evaluate the challenges" though.
Arts & Law student @ Monash.

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 12:58:07 pm »
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of response specifics, although I guess you'd just pick and choose paragraphs from overall response essays. I agree, challenges would be the way to go if they wanted to keep it at a certain level of difficulty (since causes are too easy) without repeating themselves. Quick question, I was trawling back through the board, and on one post TonyEcon said that even if a question asks you to discuss, if it's above 8 marks you should intertwine an evaluation - do you think that this applies to essays then? So even if it's discuss responses, you'd have to refer to their success?
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +30
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 03:33:49 pm »
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of response specifics, although I guess you'd just pick and choose paragraphs from overall response essays. I agree, challenges would be the way to go if they wanted to keep it at a certain level of difficulty (since causes are too easy) without repeating themselves. Quick question, I was trawling back through the board, and on one post TonyEcon said that even if a question asks you to discuss, if it's above 8 marks you should intertwine an evaluation - do you think that this applies to essays then? So even if it's discuss responses, you'd have to refer to their success?

I would definitely assess their success even if it was just a discuss response question. Well that's just the way I've been taught. But the focus would be more on discussing a range of responses, but I'd make some small statements, maybe quote someone with some expertise who thinks ____'s action was ____ or whatever, haha.
Arts & Law student @ Monash.