Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:09:46 am

Author Topic: Melbourne University - SEAS - Biomedicine.  (Read 14818 times)  Share 

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
Re: Melbourne University - SEAS - Biomedicine.
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 12:05:48 am »
+5
Yeah, I guess you're right.  Going to a shit school with no resources, poor teachers and students who distract and bring you down is no disadvantage at all.
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown

dinosaurs

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: -1
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 12:31:43 am »
Yeah, I guess you're right.  Going to a shit school with no resources, poor teachers and students who distract and bring you down is no disadvantage at all.

I go to a school with all of the above.  Perhaps that is why I lack the linguistic flare to explain to you how uhm... ?retarded? this is?
Edit: I know people that are ACTUALLY severely disadvantaged, yet do not make a claim on it as though it is deserving of special consideration. It feels as though if there were to ever be someone  deserving of a special consideration it would have already been ostracised as a result of all these well-off frauds.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:43:51 am by dinosaurs »
English [39+] Biology [41+] Viscom [45+] Media [40+] Business Management & Further Mathematics [35+]
ATAR aim: 92+ Bachelor of Architectural Design

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 01:24:40 am »
+4

I go to a school with all of the above.  Perhaps that is why I lack the linguistic flare to explain to you how uhm... ?retarded? this is?
Edit: I know people that are ACTUALLY severely disadvantaged, yet do not make a claim on it as though it is deserving of special consideration. It feels as though if there were to ever be someone  deserving of a special consideration it would have already been ostracised as a result of all these well-off frauds.

Firstly, if the people you know are not willing to make claims for schemes which they are entitled to, then that is their problem.

Secondly, not just anyone can apply for these schemes.  You generally need to be in receipt of a Centrelink benefit, which is determined by the government.  Otherwise, you need to provide both an impact statement and a statement of support.

If you feel that strongly against these schemes then I suggest you write to VTAC, the university and Centrelink to make a complaint.
Don't criticise people for taking advantage of schemes which they are entitled to.  I would also like to remind you that you are in no position to judge other peoples circumstances.  For all you know their family may be facing large debts, bankruptcy or the primary income earner may have been made redundant.

Of course there are going to be the occasional few who exploit these schemes when they are not really entitled to them, but overall it is pretty harsh to argue that they should be removed as there are certainly people in the community who are deserving of special consideration.

You can read more about SEAS applications here:
http://www.vtac.edu.au/seas/categories.html
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown

DarkVisor

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 06:03:48 pm »
Well I'd agree with the concept of the whole rural/disadvantaged financial situation SEAS scheme... but I wonder how exactly the cases are determined... etc.. for example I come from a non-english speaking background (don't speak english at home) and moved to Australia after 2002, but I'd consider myself none less capable than others. Or for example the fact that members of the Aboriginal community get a markedly advantaged entry into certain courses such as medicine..
This of course means other hopeful students miss out on their dream course/career..
2010 - Chemistry [33], Russian [32]
2011 - English [38?], Physics [need 40+], Methods [35+?], Revolutions [42 plz], Theatre Studies [anything]
2012 - Living in bed

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 06:10:45 pm »
+1
^ And in 2012 you'll be living in bed...so you should get some sort of consideration :P
Doctor of Medicine

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 11:01:36 am »
I think the SEAS program is supposed to help people who have had a disadvantage to their education. Financial disadvantage can definitely impact your education, but there are definitely plenty of people that don't have their education impacted (and in some cases aren't even disadvantaged) that manage to get through the loopholes in the program.

I can understand where you're coming from in the sense that it can be quite unfair, but the idea as a whole isn't completely ridiculous, I just think it needs to be tightened up.
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

appianway

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 04:03:58 pm »
+3
I have mixed feelings about SEAS. I strongly support the concept, and think that it's really important for students who have had their education disadvantaged, but discerning what causes disadvantage can be ambiguous. There are some amazing rural private schools, and whilst the students there might not have easy access to revision lectures and other activities, many have the financial support to commute to Melbourne to do so. On the other hand, there are some terrible rural schools - when my dad graduated from high school, only two students in his cohort of 40-50 got into any university course. I don't think that someone attending ******* grammar schoool should be placed on the same level as someone attending a state school in a tiny town.

However, on that note, I do support incentives for rural students and indigenous students to undertake health science courses, irrespective of their school. Many often go back to their hometowns to practice, and that's something that's needed.

AnonymousLover

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Al-Taqwa College
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 01:17:14 am »
You discussed that you need to be either from a disadvantaged financial background, OR from a rural/isolated area
What if you suffered from a medical conditions/illness? Doesnt that qualify you for SEAS?

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +53
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2009
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 03:11:39 am »
+1
Maths a waste of time???? WHAT?

lol jks of course it has nothing to do with med but oh well.
2012-2015 - Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ UniMelb
2010-2011 - Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Pure Mathematics @ UniMelb
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 08:56:26 am »
You discussed that you need to be either from a disadvantaged financial background, OR from a rural/isolated area
What if you suffered from a medical conditions/illness? Doesnt that qualify you for SEAS?

It does, but not the entry guarantee of 92+

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 06:42:59 pm »
+4

That is unfortunately the stereotype amongst the lay people and fellow non-maths uni colleagues.

"Oh!  You're a maths & stats major!  Planning to become a teacher, eh?"

"Screw you.  You clearly have no idea the power we have..."

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 08:33:17 pm »

That is unfortunately the stereotype amongst the lay people and fellow non-maths uni colleagues.

Clearly we are on our way to making gundams for future world-ruling.
2009 - VCE [99.70] -- Eng [43] - Methods [44] - Chem [44] - JapSL [45] - Spesh [45] - MUEP Jap [5.5]

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 12:50:11 am »

Clearly we are on our way to making gundams for future world-ruling.

I was thinking along the lines of world domination and making mathematicians world leaders and create a united Earth government, send the prisoners off to outer space to ease overcrowding, then let them meet and deal with an alien and menacing race called Zerg and an advanced race of aliens called Protoss and see how they adapt.

But I guess that might be too far-fetched.  I guess gundams will just have to suffice....

For now...

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

dc302

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 12:59:18 am »
Did you see MVP vs Leenock game 2?? :D If you watch GSL that is..

Asx4Life

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 08:58:55 pm »
Yeah I agree that there is some people in real need of SEAS. However there are some ignorant fools who thinks that applying for SEAS means that they are cheating the system when they do not even understand the person's situation. A person has a right to apply for SEAS if they are legitimately entitled to regardless of how smart they are.
I have a couple of friends who are pretty much guaranteed 99+ applying for SEAS.