Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 21, 2024, 02:20:22 am

Author Topic: Mathematics Homework Sheet Recommendation  (Read 3821 times)  Share 

TheAspiringDoc

Mathematics Homework Sheet Recommendation
« on: October 10, 2014, 08:17:13 pm »
Hi, i'm in year 8 at the moment and i'm wanting to improve my maths. I think it would be really helpful to have a regular maths homework sheet to do so that i can solidify all the concept into my mind. Last year in naplan i was yr 10+ and i was top 2% in the AMC this year. so i guess i want something roughly year 10 or 11 now. any recommendations?

P.S. if you also found some other method that helped you get really good at maths i'd love to know.

Thanks very much!

YellowTongue

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "With God all things are possible" Mt 19:26
  • Respect: +6
Re: Mathematics Homework Sheet Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 06:20:58 am »
+2
If you are performing at a Year 10 level, you are clearly ahead of the pack. Whatever homework your teachers have given you in the past must clearly have worked.

You don't need to put extra effort into learning maths. I understand that you want to learn everything, but some things are best learned in class; where the teacher explains things to you. Trying to teach yourself concepts will cause problems in the future, as a result of not fully understanding everything.
"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain" Psalm 127:1a

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 09:46:37 am »
If you are performing at a Year 10 level, you are clearly ahead of the pack. Whatever homework your teachers have given you in the past must clearly have worked.

You don't need to put extra effort into learning maths. I understand that you want to learn everything, but some things are best learned in class; where the teacher explains things to you. Trying to teach yourself concepts will cause problems in the future, as a result of not fully understanding everything.

only recently have i transferred to a good school, previously i'd been at a school where the average study score was like 26.. The way i got ahead was by learning by myself. There was no help from my teachers.. And now i'm kinda running out of resources to learn on my own. I am now at a much much better school (ave. ATAR roughly 86) but i still want to do extra, so thats why i'm wanting some  'Mathematics Homework Sheet' or something.
Thanks, TheAspiringDoc

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 11:07:36 am »
+1
Do you do tutoring? If not, you can give Kumon a shot. You travel at your own pace (Pick the amount of pages you do per day), and you're supposed to do daily worksheets. I only did it when I was little though so I'm unsure of what the higher levels are like :P.
2018-2020: UoM Comm

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:14:31 am »
Do you do tutoring? If not, you can give Kumon a shot. You travel at your own pace (Pick the amount of pages you do per day), and you're supposed to do daily worksheets. I only did it when I was little though so I'm unsure of what the higher levels are like :P.
Thanks Hannibal, that looks really good, although i live nowhere near a 'kumon centre' is that a problem?

Valyria

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 03:45:31 pm »
Hi, i'm in year 8 at the moment and i'm wanting to improve my maths. I think it would be really helpful to have a regular maths homework sheet to do so that i can solidify all the concept into my mind. Last year in naplan i was yr 10+ and i was top 2% in the AMC this year. so i guess i want something roughly year 10 or 11 now. any recommendations?

Why don't you pick up a Methods 1,2 textbook and work your way through it? The majority of 99.95ers I have heard from started their 3,4 subjects during the early years of high school because they were that dedicated to learning.
2014 ATAR: [99.20]
VCE English positions have been booked out for 2015.
2015: BCom/LLB @ Monash University

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 05:07:28 pm »
Thanks Hannibal, that looks really good, although i live nowhere near a 'kumon centre' is that a problem?
Yeah it probably won't work out then :P.
2018-2020: UoM Comm

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 08:49:50 am »
Just had another idea, would it be worth me buying a further maths units 1-4 textbook to work through next year? (I'll be in year nine) or would a methods textbook be better?
Also, would the AN textbooks be good?
Thanks ;)

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 07:48:38 pm »
Why don't you pick up a Methods 1,2 textbook and work your way through it? The majority of 99.95ers I have heard from started their 3,4 subjects during the early years of high school because they were that dedicated to learning.
oh, sorry Valyria, i just saw your post.
you really think I'm up to a methods 3/4?

HermioneGranger29

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Don't Get Me Killed-or worst EXPELLED!(short ver)
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 09:24:17 pm »
+1
oh, sorry Valyria, i just saw your post.
you really think I'm up to a methods 3/4?

This is what I think,
I know you said last year in naplan u achieved yr 10+ and in amc u got top 2% (btw congrats).
I would probably say to get ur hands on some year 10 maths work,
if you believe you really do understand it and can perform the problems without any difficulties,
then get ur hands on a maths methods 1/2.
If you really don't understand the maths, there is always khan academy which provides many tutorial videos that help you understand how to solve some maths problems. Khan Academy also provides problems from different areas for you to do.
If you're really stuck, ask a teacher for help, but if they are unable to provide the help you need, then I would advise for you to slow down.
Its a good thing you want to accelerate however, if you accelerate too fast without understanding some major concepts then there will be trouble if you continue.
Your eagerness is awesome so I would really advice you to keep it up, but remember: if you accelerate too fast without understanding some major concepts then there will be trouble if you continue.

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 11:01:09 am »
thanks to everyone for really good advice, but i'm still stuck with the problem of finding the books, i've only found a decent looking methods 1/2 textbook from jacaranda and a further 3/4 from AN..
anyone got any ideas of which book would be suitable?
Thanks  ;D

speedy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 09:41:10 pm »
thanks to everyone for really good advice, but i'm still stuck with the problem of finding the books, i've only found a decent looking methods 1/2 textbook from jacaranda and a further 3/4 from AN..
anyone got any ideas of which book would be suitable?
Thanks  ;D

If you're talking about the EXAMpro book from AN, that's only questions, so it probably wouldn't be the best to learn from.
Physics [50] | Chemistry [45] | English [42] | IT:SD [44]
ATAR: 98.95