Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:53:58 pm

Author Topic: Writing an expository  (Read 3476 times)  Share 

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Writing an expository
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:28:21 pm »
How would you write an expository using similar language to the text? For example, I'm studying The Quiet American (encountering conflict), and my teacher said that to get a really good mark you have to use metaphors and other things from the novel and use the language of the author as well as talking about the themes and stuff in relation to the prompt. But I'm not too sure how to incorporate his language into an essay. ???

dilks

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
Re: Writing an expository
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:56:22 pm »
Hybrid form? Essay written by Fowler for example.
English (49) Software Development (44) Psychology (43) IT Applications (40) Methods (35) Physics (34) ATAR: 97.15 Course: Master of Engineering (Software) Also providing English tuition. Students in the North Eastern suburbs especially convenient as I live in Ivanhoe. Interested in giving tuition to students studying Computing.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:15:01 pm »
It really depends on the form in which you write. A hybrid is a good form, although rather difficult. Are you certain that you want to write in expository style? Perhaps a short story written in first person using the style of discourse of the protagonist would serve you best.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

vcegrad11

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:12:59 pm »
Writing an expository essay which tries to emulate the voice of the studied text's author sounds tricky. To me, it seems like your teacher is rather fond of the creative pieces. Perhaps give a creative piece a try? I don't think expository would really work if you are writing in style of The Quiet American. Even if you did incorporate the language of the text into your essay, I doubt a marker in the external exam would even pick up on something so small in the minuscule amount of allocated time they have per paper. All this being said, I did expository in the exam last year (and every context SAC) and I never wrote in the style of the text - only explored similar themes and ideas in my own original piece.

Hope I haven't confused you by going against what your teacher said. Maybe have a chat with him/her?

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 01:38:34 am »
Yes! I think she definitely is. Apparently most of her students do creative, and she seems to only like expositories if they're sort of hybrid. So I think I'll do a creative or hybrid, at least for the SAC. Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

maryy11

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Santa Maria College
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 03:18:32 pm »
Can someone explain to me the big ideas being explored in the quiet american?