Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:27:42 am

Author Topic: Global Politics 2014  (Read 47263 times)  Share 

christianb

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: AC
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: Global Politics 2014
« Reply #195 on: November 13, 2014, 01:48:43 am »
Just making sure is economic power exerted through trade perceived as a hard power? or just economic in general is soft power and military power is the only hard power??

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #196 on: November 13, 2014, 08:16:26 am »

Just making sure is economic power exerted through trade perceived as a hard power? or just economic in general is soft power and military power is the only hard power??

If a country is clearly offering trade in return for the recipient country doing something (eg china will only trade with you if you don't recognise the ROC), then that's a 'carrot' and constitutes hard power. Military power is definitely *not* the only hard power - any situation where the country is saying that it will punish or reward a state/group for doing something is hard power.

Soft power on the other hand aims to create a positive image of the state and therefore encourage other states to align their policies with it - eg if I'm a student at a Confucius institute, I'm more likely to hold certain Chinese values in high regard and maybe eventually that'll trickle up into the policy my country has towards China and cause my country to adjust it's policy in such a way as to benefit China. It's much more indirect, and often difficult to see the consequences of. As a further illustration, America is the king of soft power because it has largely succeeded in pushing forward its essential characteristics of 'democracy' and 'freedom' as the ideal other states should strive for. So now, implicit within striving for 'democracy' is striving to be more like America and emulate/complement its policies, which leads to countries being more likely to adopt policies that are beneficial towards America.

Think of soft power as popularity - if I idealise a celebrity and their values, I'm likely to model myself on them; then if I meet that celebrity, I'm more likely to become friends with them, or know how to act in such a way as to make them happy, because we are similar. Basically, China wants to be the Beyoncé of the global political arena.

Hope this helps!! Let me know if any of it is confusing :)
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

christianb

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #197 on: November 15, 2014, 11:47:01 pm »
Thankyou, much appreciated and just to make sure do we have to know the ecomoc and political power of a SPECIFIC TNC ? Or just in general because the study design does not say so

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2014, 12:37:37 am »
Thankyou, much appreciated and just to make sure do we have to know the ecomoc and political power of a SPECIFIC TNC ? Or just in general because the study design does not say so
Yep specific TNC's, you should do two just in case. :)
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

christianb

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2014, 04:24:15 pm »
thankyou Reus. so if a question asks: discuss how trade can influence the economic power of a TNC.... can i use an example such as the state owned chinese national pertoelam corporation in South Sudan considering it receives a 40% share of oil projects whilst exporting 80% of sundaes oil and its projects are worth $10 billion??

christianb

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2014, 01:49:12 am »
and lastly would an example of terrorism such as Al-Qaeda in which it threatens stet sovereignty through creating less regional stability be a good example of issues and crisis that require multilateral resolution as a challenge facing state sovereignty ?

AmericanBeauty

« Reply #201 on: November 17, 2014, 08:49:19 am »
and lastly would an example of terrorism such as Al-Qaeda in which it threatens stet sovereignty through creating less regional stability be a good example of issues and crisis that require multilateral resolution as a challenge facing state sovereignty ?
Yes. Terrorism, global warmining, climate change, AIDS, ebola etc. all require multilateral resolution and are considered third agenda issues.

AmericanBeauty

« Reply #202 on: November 17, 2014, 08:54:45 am »
thankyou Reus. so if a question asks: discuss how trade can influence the economic power of a TNC.... can i use an example such as the state owned chinese national pertoelam corporation in South Sudan considering it receives a 40% share of oil projects whilst exporting 80% of sundaes oil and its projects are worth $10 billion??
I'm learning TNC's today so I'm talking a more simple approach rather an making an inextricable link which I personally don't think is required. I'm going to learn 4 facts about their economic and political power, and three/four points about trade/employment/FDI. Then I'll just be like 'through their trade, they are able to make $30 million in gross profits per year, which allows them to spend money lobbying the governments' or something. I'm being alot simpler in my approach. I hate these questions.

christianb

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2014, 01:10:59 pm »
thank you though with regard to employment and TNCs if you could plls pass on any info with regards to it economic and political power?

Harru!

« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2014, 03:11:05 pm »
Can someone explain to me how to describe characteristics of global crises, particularly in relations to state and non-state terrorism and intra/interstate conflict.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2015, 12:36:45 pm »
If anyone is interested in a Global Politics tutor, I got 39 in 2014 and currently undertaking a Bachelor of Global Studies (& a Bachelor of Science) @ Monash if you're looking for one, I'm available!

PM me or reply to this if you want to discuss it any further! Good luck!!
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University