Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:28:52 am

Author Topic: Exam prep  (Read 2528 times)  Share 

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Exam prep
« on: November 14, 2013, 03:57:43 pm »
I guess it's time for us to have our very own "last minute exam preparation" thread...

What are you guys planning to do before Tuesday, and how are you feeling for the exam?

Personally, I'll try to do two or three more prac exams, since I have timing issues (I either finish 15 minutes early or 4 minutes late  :-\) and just go through q-cards, freak out because I don't remember anything, then try again  :P
Oh, and I'll be hating on my teacher for giving us easy SACs which will get moderated down, as well as trying to convince myself that I have the faintest idea what 'exam-standard' marking is like, and that I'm somewhere close to it. All good.
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +30
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Exam prep
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 04:38:42 pm »
I think I need to go over some definitions rote-learning style and ensure I have an example accompanying each. I will also try and answer more questions. I made up a giant list of questions from the study design and answered them - I found that pretty helpful (although awfully tiring) and I'll read over them in hope that a question I made up is actually on the exam and I can regurgitate(ish) my answer.

And of course, I need to rote learn all the dates and names of things b/c with so many examples it's easy to mix them up. :(

Haha oh man I think my SACs might get marked down too - I think we do have a strong cohort... but at the same time, so many of us are getting good marks which is kind of shit for the whole distribution stuff. But I think we shouldn't worry about moderation stuff that we cannot help - just ensure you maximise your exam results, depending on what you think is best for you right now!
Arts & Law student @ Monash.

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:29:59 pm »
Final ever VCE exam.
Final. Ever. VCE. Exam.
I'm going to spend 72 straight hours cramming as many things into my short term memory as I can, in addition to refining my ability to answer questions as compactly as possible. Rote learning of dates and figures and percentages, practice essays, practice short answers, reading news, just generally shutting myself in my room without distraction and spamming global politics.
Actually a little bit excited tbqh, just get me through this philosophy exam and let me at my global   ;D

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 08:44:05 pm »
Ugh, I was also planning self-imposed solitary confinement in at least the 24 hours previous to the exam, but I've got two unit 1/2 exams the day before. Do you think it's advisable to do both, or just re-do on Thursday? They're psych and further, and I'm dropping further next year so I'm winging it, but I also don't want them to penetrate my bubble of politics concentration... This probably seems pretty petty to you guys though, they're 1/2s after all  :P
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

edwin

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Haileybury College
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 09:07:56 pm »
Ugh, I was also planning self-imposed solitary confinement in at least the 24 hours previous to the exam, but I've got two unit 1/2 exams the day before. Do you think it's advisable to do both, or just re-do on Thursday? They're psych and further, and I'm dropping further next year so I'm winging it, but I also don't want them to penetrate my bubble of politics concentration... This probably seems pretty petty to you guys though, they're 1/2s after all  :P

Don't even bother with your 1/2s, do them later if you can! As for exam strategy, yeah basically cramming everything into my short term memory like achre said, and then refining my essays. Will be letting out a huge sigh of relief once I hear 'pens down' on Tuesday!
2012: Latin [40]
2013: English [47], Revolutions [40], Global Politics, Methods, Chemistry
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine @ University of Melbourne

maddimarvel

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • VCE is death.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 05:46:56 pm »
Don't even bother with your 1/2s, do them later if you can! As for exam strategy, yeah basically cramming everything into my short term memory like achre said, and then refining my essays. Will be letting out a huge sigh of relief once I hear 'pens down' on Tuesday!

That final "pens down" is going to be the best feeling in the universe regardless if I feel like I failed the exam or not.

Done. Forever. 
2013: [aiming] Revs (40), Lit (40)... I can dream, Australian Hist (38) , Art (35), Global Politics (35)

-will be posting my notes after my last exams if anyone is interested-

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 01:12:05 am »
Final ever VCE exam.
Final. Ever. VCE. Exam.
I'm going to spend 72 straight hours cramming as many things into my short term memory as I can, in addition to refining my ability to answer questions as compactly as possible. Rote learning of dates and figures and percentages, practice essays, practice short answers, reading news, just generally shutting myself in my room without distraction and spamming global politics.
Actually a little bit excited tbqh, just get me through this philosophy exam and let me at my global   ;D

Looks like you aced that exam. Haha!
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 01:24:09 pm »
Looks like you aced that exam. Haha!
72/80, I'm not complaining haha. Dropped 5 marks on the essay and 3 in the SA  ;D