Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:29:25 pm

Author Topic: Transferring public to private school.  (Read 1667 times)  Share 

EmilyRoseLamb

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Transferring public to private school.
« on: August 17, 2014, 07:03:46 pm »
Hey everyone...

So I got a scholarship to attend Ballarat Clarendon College...a very successful private school. I'm a straight A-A+ student at my current Public school, and I am not implying anything, but will I still be at this level when I move? If not, what type of work can I expect? I know that it will be significantly more, I'm just quite nervous!
Thank you.
Tutoring Global Politics (44) and Legal Studies (47). PM for information.

ATAR 2016: 97.00

Monash Law(Hons)/Arts, 80+ WAM.

walkec

Re: Transferring public to private school.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 07:20:23 pm »
Hey everyone...

So I got a scholarship to attend Ballarat Clarendon College...a very successful private school. I'm a straight A-A+ student at my current Public school, and I am not implying anything, but will I still be at this level when I move? If not, what type of work can I expect? I know that it will be significantly more, I'm just quite nervous!
Thank you.

First of all, congratulations on being awarded the scholarship!  :) It's hard to say if you will stay at the same A-A+ level at your new school, and it's even harder to say what sort of work you can expect. My advice is to just make the most of the opportunity to be at the new school and do your best and enjoy such a great opportunity  :)

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 07:34:00 pm »
Yay nice work! Personally, I feel that the work assigned at private schools is not extremely difficult, but I'm not sure of the comparison to public schools. There are definitely way more extra-curricular activities to do at private schools, so make the most of those :). I'm sure you'll fit in fine, the crowd is a little more studious than at public schools, but watch out for 'snobs'.
2018-2020: UoM Comm

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 07:40:10 pm »
Having gone to a public school and currently working at a private school I'd say that there certainly can be a big difference between the level expected of you in the two different systems. When it comes to VCE though, things tend to equalise because the curricula are homogenous. Sometimes private schools will mark a little more harshly, though this really won't negatively impact you at the end of the day as your ATAR will be determined on your performance compared to that of every student in the state.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Micheal Jackson

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 08:25:55 pm »
Hey everyone...

Thank you.

Hey :)
First of all, well done for getting the scholarship. I remember  how excited I was when I first got one as well. I went to my school from a state school, where I was an average student. When I moved to my current private school in year 9, my grades dropped to Cs and Bs because the standard was higher. But I got used to it, and now I'm doing alright.
So answering your qs, expect:
-A higher work load (this is a good thing)
-Students around you to be more studious and competitive
I hope you have a great time at your new school, and I wish you all the very best!!! :P