Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:30:58 am

Author Topic: Medicine (MMI) Interview Preparation & Tutoring  (Read 7084 times)  Share 

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Medicine (MMI) Interview Preparation & Tutoring
« on: November 26, 2013, 05:46:28 pm »
+11
If you have found this advertisement via Google (or similar), I am still tutoring but due to my increased workload I have a strong preference for digital tuition (ie via Skype). PM me!

If you're an undergraduate wanting to go to medical school next year, you're likely starting to think about interviews as you wait for the release of offers from GEMSAS. If you're looking for additional help in the lead up to these interviews, I have some spaces free for students who want private tuition. I am a former student in the Doctor of Medicine (MD) program at the University of Melbourne, currently working in 2018 as a doctor (registrar) in Melbourne.

With respect to my experience, I went through the graduate application cycle in 2011 and interviewed in both Melbourne and Sydney, so I have experienced different MMI styles and questions. I've also been through the application and interview circuit for medical internship/registrar positions (which is similar to, albeit more stressful than, medical school applications).

I have experience in teaching (privately and classes) as it is one of my major interests and I feel that I've managed to construct a reasonable program for MMI preparation. I have tutored several students previously (perhaps a dozen) for admission to the graduate medicine course at UoM and all were ultimately successful (although this probably speaks more to their achievements than mine). If you are interested in preparation for undergraduate medicine, I would like to clarify and make clear that I did not apply to Monash as a high school leaver, only as a graduate student, so I have no personal and specific experience of their stations and interview questions.

I have written short notes (10 pages, 4500 words) that are given to my students. These notes involve the approach to the MMI in general, the approach to question based stations and the approach to scenario stations. The latter two sections are done via the method of deconstructing sample questions to show my approach and how I feel a successful response would be put together. In general I focus on how to answer questions and will expect you to apply these in your own private practice. I prefer to teach students for at least two sessions, as this allows for consideration of both of the main types of interview station, but if you desire a single session I can probably accommodate that. I am reasonably flexible and there's no minimum commitment.

I have a strong preference for sessions run via Skype (or similar) due to work requirements. I am a student at the University of Melbourne and have access to the medicine building there (for in-person teaching). I am generally only available to meet at on weekends. I charge at $60/hr and can meet for either one or two hour tutoring sessions, depending on preference. If I am not available, I can refer you to a current MD student who also tutors for the MMI.

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions. If you have generic questions about interviews, I don't mind answering them in this thread.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:47:36 pm by Russ »

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
Re: Medicine (MMI) Interview Tutoring
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 08:25:39 pm »
+4
Endorsed! :) Russ was extremely helpful and I would definitely recommend having a session with him before your MMI! I think it's invaluable to have an experienced person to practice with.

I'm just one of his success stories. As mentioned above, there are many more as well :)
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 06:59:46 pm »
In response to a message I received; I wasn't offering tutoring this year, due to being exceptionally busy, but if you're looking for a single session in the leadup to the MMIs I can likely accommodate you. You may need to meet my schedule (ie weekends) or after my classes finish.

Whilst the message above is targeted at undergraduate applicants, I have tutored for the UoM MMI before (predominantly so, in fact). Good luck to all applicants! :D

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 01:05:24 pm »
Monash interviews will be happening in the upcoming weeks (as will other universities). I'm currently working at a clinic full time Mon-Thurs but am available for tutoring on weekends or weeknights. I much prefer face to face tutoring, but Skype is a possibility if you're dead set on it.
If interested, please let me know.

e; Have finished work for the year
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:28:32 pm by Russ »

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 03:14:59 pm »
Give that I have two weeks of holidays and a significantly lighter workload this year, I'm available for tutoring. This is early to post, but there's a lot of talk already about preparing over the next two months.

If you live in Melbourne, PagingDr tells me that this is the facebook group you should be in: https://www.facebook.com/groups/275728189262771/

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 03:37:43 pm »
^Is that the study group pagingdr's organised? Might join closer to the start of semester.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 03:55:43 pm »
Yes, that's the one from the PD Melbourne thread

kangxg

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 05:46:07 pm »
Hi Russ,

I was wondering if you could tutor me? (I do not know how to PM you) please email me at: [email protected]

Thank you

Crystalsrabbit

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Balwyn high school
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 10:32:32 pm »
Hey Russ,
i'd like to have a session with you, I don't know how to pm you either but i can give you my email address :)  when will you be free? I'd like to have a session(preferably two, on separate days) before uni starts. Please email me at [email protected]
Thanks heaps!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:35:52 pm by Crystalsrabbit »

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
Re: Medicine (MMI) Interview Preparation & Tutoring
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 09:47:42 pm »
A message reminded me of this thread.
If you're interested, I may be able to accomodate you. If not, I know a current medical student and MMI tutor who I could refer you to.
:)