Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:45:07 pm

Author Topic: Class of 2014! :D  (Read 1479736 times)  Share 

walkec

Re: Class of 2014! :D
« Reply #7125 on: November 25, 2014, 10:02:11 pm »
+4
PS - anyone here with a job, please pointers ?

Some pointers as someone with a job:
-Apply anywhere if you don't have experience and don't waste your time applying for jobs that require experience. I applied for 32 jobs and had 5 interviews before I got my current job. I think the reason for this was that I was far too fussy as a 15 year old with no experience. When I started at my job, I was washing dishes for 5 hours straight, but in my 3 years I've been there, I've worked my way up and I'm now a barista and I'm working towards being able to open/close/run the store by myself. It's better to take something less desirable to get some experience and money under your belt and move on later than to still continue to be unemployed.
-Get a couple of people to proof read your resume and read it aloud for clarity
-Dress the part. As someone who has taken many resumes over my 3 years at my job, I am not particularly inclined to tell my manager there's another resume if the person looks sloppy/is in their pyjamas/wears a low cut top/has visible tattoos etc. Harsh but I'm sure many other employers would have similar standards. Wear your hair up, minimal makeup and jewellery, no sneakers, a nice pair of pants/longish skirt and a nice top should suffice if you're female, or a collared shirt with nice trousers and polished shoes if you're male. This may seem a little over the top but first impressions do count.
-Don't lie about your availability
-Be honest
-Don't be generic in what you write on your resume. We see heaps of resumes from people in high school saying "I'm a team player", "I am reliable and trustworthy". To be honest, generic statements make me think that you haven't put thought into your application and I have just received a generic resume from a person who wants a job after year 12, over summer etc.
-Take responsibility. If you get offered an interview - turn up 10 minutes early, have a list of questions to ask (but don't ask about the pay until offered the position). Same goes if you get a trial shift or the job - start 5 minutes early. This shows you're organised and enthusiastic and don't sign off straight away until the manager or person in charge gives you the okay, especially if you're finishing a task. If it's 2 pm and that's the end of your shift but there's still 3 pizzas to make, say to the manager/whoever is in charge "did you want me to stay to finish doing these?" It shows that you're committed to the task at hand, and it helps to build rapport with your boss so they can cut you some slack when necessary (especially helpful around exam time).
- Keep trying. I actually handed in my resume to where I work twice before I even got an interview, and then I still didn't get the job. I then got another interview because there was another position and I was lucky enough to know a person working there, and then I got the job. Keep trying - it really will pay off.

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #7126 on: November 25, 2014, 10:05:19 pm »
Some pointers as someone with a job:
-Apply anywhere if you don't have experience and don't waste your time applying for jobs that require experience. I applied for 32 jobs and had 5 interviews before I got my current job. I think the reason for this was that I was far too fussy as a 15 year old with no experience. When I started at my job, I was washing dishes for 5 hours straight, but in my 3 years I've been there, I've worked my way up and I'm now a barista and I'm working towards being able to open/close/run the store by myself. It's better to take something less desirable to get some experience and money under your belt and move on later than to still continue to be unemployed.
-Get a couple of people to proof read your resume and read it aloud for clarity
-Dress the part. As someone who has taken many resumes over my 3 years at my job, I am not particularly inclined to tell my manager there's another resume if the person looks sloppy/is in their pyjamas/wears a low cut top/has visible tattoos etc. Harsh but I'm sure many other employers would have similar standards. Wear your hair up, minimal makeup and jewellery, no sneakers, a nice pair of pants/longish skirt and a nice top should suffice if you're female, or a collared shirt with nice trousers and polished shoes if you're male. This may seem a little over the top but first impressions do count.
-Don't lie about your availability
-Be honest
-Don't be generic in what you write on your resume. We see heaps of resumes from people in high school saying "I'm a team player", "I am reliable and trustworthy". To be honest, generic statements make me think that you haven't put thought into your application and I have just received a generic resume from a person who wants a job after year 12, over summer etc.
-Take responsibility. If you get offered an interview - turn up 10 minutes early, have a list of questions to ask (but don't ask about the pay until offered the position). Same goes if you get a trial shift or the job - start 5 minutes early. This shows you're organised and enthusiastic and don't sign off straight away until the manager or person in charge gives you the okay, especially if you're finishing a task. If it's 2 pm and that's the end of your shift but there's still 3 pizzas to make, say to the manager/whoever is in charge "did you want me to stay to finish doing these?" It shows that you're committed to the task at hand, and it helps to build rapport with your boss so they can cut you some slack when necessary (especially helpful around exam time).
- Keep trying. I actually handed in my resume to where I work twice before I even got an interview, and then I still didn't get the job. I then got another interview because there was another position and I was lucky enough to know a person working there, and then I got the job. Keep trying - it really will pay off.
Thankyou so much for your advice !

Tbh I'm getting a tad disheartened..applied for over 50 jobs already, applying for 70 more tomorrow and I'm still getting nowhere.
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #7127 on: November 25, 2014, 10:18:52 pm »

Tbh I'm getting a tad disheartened..applied for over 50 jobs already, applying for 70 more tomorrow and I'm still getting nowhere.

I hate to barge in this thread (I'm not a 2014er), but wow where have you applied?  :o

I currently work in fast food and worked there since I was 15, I literally only got hired cos I was 15 and yeah, but now I want to apply for another job - but I really wanna steer away from fast food haha
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7128 on: November 25, 2014, 10:36:23 pm »
I hate to barge in this thread (I'm not a 2014er), but wow where have you applied?  :o

I currently work in fast food and worked there since I was 15, I literally only got hired cos I was 15 and yeah, but now I want to apply for another job - but I really wanna steer away from fast food haha
The shopping centre near (?) me..literally every single shop. Then I'm doing my local one, Chadstone, another one near my school and then Melbourne Central. And then just some random places, but might do another shopping centre.

Wow, reading over that and I can't decide whether I am dedicated or desperate..

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #7129 on: November 25, 2014, 10:39:16 pm »
The shopping centre near (?) me..literally every single shop. Then I'm doing my local one, Chadstone, another one near my school and then Melbourne Central. And then just some random places, but might do another shopping centre.

Wow, reading over that and I can't decide whether I am dedicated or desperate..

that's serious dedication. have you told any shopkeepers what you are doing? the dedication would be sure to impress them.

maybe ask if you can give the resumes directly to the manager/owner yourself so you can introduce yourself if you aren't already.
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7130 on: November 25, 2014, 10:42:15 pm »

that's serious dedication. have you told any shopkeepers what you are doing? the dedication would be sure to impress them.

maybe ask if you can give the resumes directly to the manager/owner yourself so you can introduce yourself if you aren't already.

Haha thanks ! And no, I haven't..I didn't think it was necessarily putting my best foot forward :P

I do try..I normally just ask who is the best person, and sometimes they get the manager, sometimes I end up speaking to the manager myself and sometimes an employee tells me there unavailable and promises to pass it on.
Thanks for the tip !

ealam2

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #7131 on: November 25, 2014, 10:45:20 pm »
Wow anna.xo! You are really dedicated! I realise I have heaps of resumes I need to print out. :(
What do you say when you talk to the manager? Just introduce yourself?

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7132 on: November 25, 2014, 10:54:43 pm »

Wow anna.xo! You are really dedicated! I realise I have heaps of resumes I need to print out. :(
What do you say when you talk to the manager? Just introduce yourself?

Haha thanks !
Yeah..I recommend you try and break up your job list by like one shopping centre per day, or like one area of a,shopping centre or something..just to keep things in control and not get too overwhelming

Honestly, I barely ever do, most of the time they're not there. And I actually never introduce myself..just speak to whoever is at the counter saying something like "hi (megawatt smile). I'm interested in a position here, who would be the best person to give my resume to ?"
Sometimes it just happens to be the manager :P

^^ that can change slightly depending how many rejections I've just received :P I swear though, I've never faced so much rejection in my life haha

ealam2

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #7133 on: November 25, 2014, 11:01:34 pm »
:P I swear though, I've never faced so much rejection in my life haha

Awww, anna.xo, you must be too good for them. ;) I would never reject you.  :D

Paulrus

• No exam discussion
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #7134 on: November 25, 2014, 11:07:50 pm »
+6
2015-2017: Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) at University of Melbourne.

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7135 on: November 25, 2014, 11:10:06 pm »
Oh you :-*
(Image removed from quote.)

Hahaha aw, thanks guys ! Made my night :)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #7136 on: November 26, 2014, 01:08:37 am »

70 more.. what the hell? Where do you get all these jobs?? Where the heck do you live??? :P

I spent one whole day looking for jobs and managed 9 stores in my location that were taking in people. NINE.
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #7137 on: November 26, 2014, 01:13:03 am »
Question: do you guys reckon it's obligatory for an individual to only tutor in a subject if they receive a 40+ SS for said subject?  :-\ I really want to tutor english next year but I don't think I'll get a 40+ SS...I was receiving 8-9/10 for my practice essays though, so I think I'm still capable?? Thoughts?  ???
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #7138 on: November 26, 2014, 01:14:15 am »
70 more.. what the hell? Where do you get all these jobs?? Where the heck do you live??? :P

I spent one whole day looking for jobs and managed 9 stores in my location that were taking in people. NINE.

Did you just go around asking stores if they were hiring? I haven't had a job before so I don't really know the process  :-[ ::)
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #7139 on: November 26, 2014, 01:16:55 am »
Did you just go around asking stores if they were hiring? I haven't had a job before so I don't really know the process  :-[ ::)
Nah I went online :). I'm kind of new the thing as well, wondering if someone experienced can help us... (tsk tsk walcek!)

Have you gotten your tfn, bank account and done your resume yet Katie?
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!