Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:29:00 am

Author Topic: Exam thoughts/feelings  (Read 4547 times)  Share 

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Exam thoughts/feelings
« on: November 19, 2013, 03:27:46 pm »
How did we all go? Personally, I thought it was bitch of an exam simply due to the length and the crises questions being one I hadn't done a practice essay for.... Reasonably happy with it, but hopefully there's a low A+ cut off :/  Didn't get time to put an example in for global governance :(
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
Re: Exam thoughts/feelings
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 04:20:03 pm »
I'll sound like a prick for saying this, and I'll probably even look like an idiot come December the 16th, considering my SAC marks, but I was sososososososooooooooo happy with that exam. I had so much stuff for literally everything and the essay question for AoS 1 was verbatim the essay topic for my first SAC which I managed to get 100% on. Managed to get it all done with five minutes to spare and looking over it, it looked like I went for the "throw every single thing you know onto the page and see what sticks" approach, I can't believe how much I managed to write.
Exam topic for AoS 1, that last question (took me forever to get started, but once I got what it was really asking for it was straightforward, the question was beautifully written)
Dislikes
The China section was awful, 1 mark definition question, 3 marks for cultural power and 8 marks for the most obscure thing that I had to clutch at straws to finish. Seriously, 12 marks out of the entire paper when I spent the bulk of my time revising military and economic power  >:( also I forgot what global governance was but I think my definition was close.
All in all, I hope the fact that the last word I ever wrote in VCE was "failure" is not an omen. What am I supposed to do with my life now

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 04:31:38 pm »
Same, I overwrote so much on all the 8 and 6 markers, but I think a lot of it was just statistics vomit :/ Do you think no example for global governance with a full definition is definitely a mark lost? Also, a small point, but I thought it was a bit of an oversight for them to put the nation-state definition in the A-P region bit, since we're only allowed to discuss one state for that section, and if someone was doing Australia, how are they meant to provide an example? I got around it by saying the Uighurs want their own nation-state, but still.
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +30
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:00:00 pm »
+1
Loved the exam, my teacher almost EXACTLY predicted the conflict prompt which was crazy, and I anticipated the cultural power question. At first I thought Q12 about "describe the two characteristics" etc. was a weird question but it was fine in the end. I think there were a few tricks. For example there was one question within the ethical debates section that seemed only to ask about one global actor but didn't bold the font like the usually do. I wonder if you'd lose marks for bringing in others? Just a thought.

And @Vermilliona - don't worry about the example thing in the definition. Last year in the assessment there were definitions that didn't require examples and  got the full 2 marks. Plus the question did not ask for an example. The definition kind of does include examples of institutions though so hmm...

So honestly I think I had a bit of luck since I crammed but managed to get questions and I wanted... But again don't want to say things and look like an idiot on the 16th! :)

Hope you guys did well. :) x
Arts & Law student @ Monash.

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 05:09:26 pm »
What did you write for the essay youshine? My contention was like 'While cases of disunity exist, international co-operation is increasingly prevalent, and the challenges posed by its lack are outweighed by other challenges'. Well, not word for word, it sounds shitty like that, I think I phrased it better in the exam :/// Then I discussed like how there is disunity around Syria but increasingly actors are working together towards effective resolution (Geneva 2, chem weapons) and how it's the lack of cooperation amongst the rebels that's the real challenge to resolution. And then for Afghanistan, I said how despite international cooperation in responding to the conflict, resolution hasn't been achieved due to government and military weakness. Gah, I just want to compare with everyone and reassure myself that I didn't do too badly :/
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 05:18:08 pm »
Same, I overwrote so much on all the 8 and 6 markers, but I think a lot of it was just statistics vomit :/ Do you think no example for global governance with a full definition is definitely a mark lost? Also, a small point, but I thought it was a bit of an oversight for them to put the nation-state definition in the A-P region bit, since we're only allowed to discuss one state for that section, and if someone was doing Australia, how are they meant to provide an example? I got around it by saying the Uighurs want their own nation-state, but still.
I doubt you'd lose it if you have a full definition - provided you made two points, which is what full definitions usually do.
I don't think the nation-state question required an example from the area you focused on, as none of them are nation states. Oh, maybe Indonesia. But still. I just gave the definition and tacked "for example, Japan" on the end.

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 05:21:34 pm »

I doubt you'd lose it if you have a full definition - provided you made two points, which is what full definitions usually do.
I don't think the nation-state question required an example from the area you focused on, as none of them are nation states. Oh, maybe Indonesia. But still. I just gave the definition and tacked "for example, Japan" on the end.

Yeah, I wrote Japan at first, but then I remembered at a lecture thing they told us not to give the example of a different state than the one you're focusing on. It's probably not a big deal anyway, since all lecturers for global seem to have different opinions on what's acceptable :/
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 05:22:26 pm »
For example there was one question within the ethical debates section that seemed only to ask about one global actor but didn't bold the font like the usually do. I wonder if you'd lose marks for bringing in others? Just a thought.
I did China's response to people movement out of North Korea for that one, but thinking over it now, I'm wondering if that was okay... I mean, I didn't talk much about NK, just what China did, but it is technically two actors.

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 05:25:27 pm »

I did China's response to people movement out of North Korea for that one, but thinking over it now, I'm wondering if that was okay... I mean, I didn't talk much about NK, just what China did, but it is technically two actors.

I'm sure that's fine, it was China responding to the issue, NK was was causing the issue, so that's the response of one actor.
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

maddimarvel

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • VCE is death.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 05:44:45 pm »
I found it to be a really good exam, I finished quickly and had a decent essay. The china trade question was so annoying.

The definitions pissed me off, but I'm just glad to be done! I hope we all do really well.

Now for alcohol!
2013: [aiming] Revs (40), Lit (40)... I can dream, Australian Hist (38) , Art (35), Global Politics (35)

-will be posting my notes after my last exams if anyone is interested-

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 07:19:49 pm »
+2
What did you write for the essay youshine? My contention was like 'While cases of disunity exist, international co-operation is increasingly prevalent, and the challenges posed by its lack are outweighed by other challenges'. Well, not word for word, it sounds shitty like that, I think I phrased it better in the exam :/// Then I discussed like how there is disunity around Syria but increasingly actors are working together towards effective resolution (Geneva 2, chem weapons) and how it's the lack of cooperation amongst the rebels that's the real challenge to resolution. And then for Afghanistan, I said how despite international cooperation in responding to the conflict, resolution hasn't been achieved due to government and military weakness. Gah, I just want to compare with everyone and reassure myself that I didn't do too badly :/

I pretty much said yes a lack of international cooperation proved to be a predominant impediment on the effective blah blah blah however other factors further challenged resolution such as... etc. etc. Yeah I discussed similar things as well as legal issues, I also talked about military issues and bad reception of the US in terms of perceiving them as aggressive foreign occupiers and stuff. I think you'll be fine! :) But most of my challenges were related or were caused by a lack of international cooperation so my contention was essentially that it was the major factor, but nonetheless other factors played too. :)

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 07:33:03 pm »
I pretty much said yes a lack of international cooperation proved to be a predominant impediment on the effective blah blah blah however other factors further challenged resolution such as... etc. etc. Yeah I discussed similar things as well as legal issues, I also talked about military issues and bad reception of the US in terms of perceiving them as aggressive foreign occupiers and stuff. I think you'll be fine! :) But most of my challenges were related or were caused by a lack of international cooperation so my contention was essentially that it was the major factor, but nonetheless other factors played too. :)

Thank you!!! Ok, that makes me feel much better, it's just, you know, first proper vcaa exam in a normal subject, no idea what to expect. Good luck to you all, congrats on finishing this brutal period on a high note, I hope the VCAA and uni treats you well, and thanks for the support this year :)
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 08:53:40 pm »
Thank you!!! Ok, that makes me feel much better, it's just, you know, first proper vcaa exam in a normal subject, no idea what to expect. Good luck to you all, congrats on finishing this brutal period on a high note, I hope the VCAA and uni treats you well, and thanks for the support this year :)

Glad to hear it. Yeah it's weird when you first do proper VCE subjects! Otherwise good luck as well, and holy, congrats on that 50 in 2012! That's insane haha. You seem like a smart cookie and I'm sure you nailed it :P
No worries ^_^