Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 03:00:47 am

Author Topic: English troubles  (Read 505 times)  Share 

hellahella

English troubles
« on: May 27, 2015, 12:25:09 pm »
Hey guys!

So in the past, I've been ace at English. I topped Year 11 English and had straight A's before that. This year, however, has been a struggle. I've worked incredibly hard to write practice essays and understand my texts properly and create detailed notes, which I never did before, and my results are sitting at an abysmal 70% average.

My teacher isn't helping. She's not actually an English teacher and it is proving detrimental as my marks are lower than they have ever been and I am learning nothing in her classes, having to teach myself everything I need to know.

I am just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to pick yourself up at a low point in terms of English and smash the exam or if there is anything I can do to salvage my all-important English mark.

Thanks in advance :)

S33667

Re: English troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 01:23:41 pm »
+2
Go through the english threads on this forum - pay particular attention to the advice given by Lauren and bangali_lok - don't just read what they say, practice it!!!!   

The help from their posts has been immense (I've gone from a C for English in Year 11, to 99% so far for Unit 3).   The mistake I made last year was to try to find high scoring responses and "modify" them to a prompt.   This year, with advice taken from this forum and put into practice, I've taught myself to stop using other peoples ideas and instead can write effectively while meeting the criteria for assessment.   

I hated English last year but the strangest thing is that once you start to work out the "how" a momentum starts and your writing actually gets better very quickly.   But when you start it can seem impossible to improve.   I think it was bangali_lok I who gave some advice about reading the forums and taking notes.  Make a to-do list based on the important bits of advice and start working on them bit by bit.   At the start it can seem overwhelming and initially I felt more confused about English than in control, but just keep implementing each suggestion.   It's like a jigsaw, nothing makes sense but then all the pieces start to come together and you are suddenly making connections.   This is when you see the improvements but I think many give up before this point - I know I nearly did.  Persist!

Also, I don't know if it's possible to still sign up but I've also found the English webinars really helpful.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:22:34 pm »
+2
Aww thanks S33667, nice to know that people get something out of my posts :)

S33667's probably referring to this post; basically what I'm saying there is that it doesn't matter who your teacher is or if you can't afford resources.  If you can take the initiative to research and teach yourself, you'll achieve something far more worthwhile - not only a good score, but feeling satisfied, like you've achieved something and will be able to achieve more in the future.  Seriously, if it's possible, why not do your own study in class on your laptop while your teacher's talking? (keep half an ear out to avert disaster ;)).

And check out my post Surviving English, Unshattered.  I felt just like you (except perhaps the topping year 11 English :P), but made the mistake of running away rather than facing my issues head-on and taking initiative.

Since all Lauren's work is gold (that's why it's so valuable to read through her Q&A threads), I'd definitely look at the English webinars.  Oh, and remember that keeping on working (e.g. writing more practise essays or notes) is pretty useless if you don't stop to think about where you're going wrong and how to improve.  Maybe take a break from doing more stuff.  Stop and revise what you've already done.  Try to pinpoint your biggest issues (you could post an essay or two in the English Work Submission and Marking board if you want) and then start searching for solutions.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

hellahella

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 04:46:34 pm »
Thanks guys! I'm going to put a lot more into my English and take everything people have said and see if it works :)