Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 11:05:14 am

Author Topic: Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students  (Read 131175 times)  Share 

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
Re: Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students
« Reply #270 on: April 15, 2015, 10:12:56 pm »
For the 'うちに' grammar pattern, which means "while" can you use  noun before the 'うち’に' part?

:) Thanks

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #271 on: April 16, 2015, 06:16:07 pm »
For the 'うちに' grammar pattern, which means "while" can you use  noun before the 'うち’に' part?

:) Thanks

I can't think of an example where that would make sense. Do you have something in mind?
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #272 on: April 16, 2015, 08:22:57 pm »
I can't think of an example where that would make sense. Do you have something in mind?

If I wanted to say "While I was a child, I liked dolls" could I say: 子供のころのうちににんぎょうが好きでした。?

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #273 on: April 16, 2015, 11:53:57 pm »
If I wanted to say "While I was a child, I liked dolls" could I say: 子供のころのうちににんぎょうが好きでした。?

Nah, うちに is more when there's a pressing time limit, not a generalised period.
I guess you could use it with time nouns though. 「今のうちに」or 「一晩のうちに」 for instance.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #274 on: April 18, 2015, 01:28:57 am »
+1

Cut the うちに out and you're fine. :D
Your English is where you're going wrong, I think. :-\ I feel that "while I was a child" is something not natural in English. Try thinking of sentences in Japanese rather than translating across languages because it will never work - that's my advice  ;D
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #275 on: April 27, 2015, 05:47:24 pm »
Can you use the potential form in the たら grammar pattern? For example would it be grammatically correct for me to say: "行けたら” meaning "If/when I am able to go" ?

I've had contrasting opinions about this with some teachers saying I cannot do that, whilst native Japanese speakers have corrected me for not using the potential form before the たら、and have prompted me to use it?

Would this just be due to a difference in colloquial Japanese and written/grammatically correct Japanese?

:) Thanks! Any insight would be appreciated.

jibba

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 日本のミカタ
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #276 on: May 01, 2015, 11:13:55 pm »
+2
@Razz

You can 100% definitely say 行けたら If i'm able to go. If non-native teachers are telling you it's wrong, they're wrong.

Whilst I was in Japan, I found a lot of Japanese people really try to be polite when you invite them to something and they often say "行けたら行く" instead of saying they can't go haha.

2011: Japanese SL [50] ATAR: 99.40
2012-2017: Arts/Law at Monash
My Japanese Advice Thread Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students
2013: Currently tutoring VCE Japanese. JLPT N2
2014: Exchange to Hitotsubashi University, Japan (April - August) & Seoul National University (September - December). JLPT N1
2017: Tutoring VCE Japanese/Offering VCE Japanese notes email : [email protected]

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #277 on: May 02, 2015, 10:16:47 pm »
@Razz

You can 100% definitely say 行けたら If i'm able to go. If non-native teachers are telling you it's wrong, they're wrong.

Whilst I was in Japan, I found a lot of Japanese people really try to be polite when you invite them to something and they often say "行けたら行く" instead of saying they can't go haha.

Thanks Jibba, for the clarification!

Hahahah, oh okay :p

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #278 on: May 17, 2015, 05:43:02 am »
Can someone please explain the difference between 知る and 分かる?

:)Thanks

konnichiwa

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #279 on: May 23, 2015, 08:32:04 am »
Hi guys,

I've been trying to decide on a detailed study topic since like forever, and really want to do japanese teas (matcha, sencha etc).
I was talking to my tutor about it and she said that my detailed study should have an issue I can discuss, I'm not really sure what she means by this :( plus, tea is pretty much only has good points

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #280 on: May 25, 2015, 06:34:30 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been trying to decide on a detailed study topic since like forever, and really want to do japanese teas (matcha, sencha etc).
I was talking to my tutor about it and she said that my detailed study should have an issue I can discuss, I'm not really sure what she means by this :( plus, tea is pretty much only has good points

I can see why you'd want to do tea as a topic. It's very interesting and indeed a very important part of traditional Japan. However, your tutor has the right of it. What she is meaning to say is that your topic is too narrow. You will be talking for 7 whole minutes and you need to keep the conversation flowing well, inviting questions from the assessors so they can accurately test your reaction to unpredicted questions (which will then let them know your vocabulary, grammar and listening skills - as well as your skill to make up a sentence on the spot, which is what language is).
In order to do that, you really need to choose a comprehensive topic that invites a variety of questions that you can be ready to answer at the drop of a hat. Even better, with your own opinion when your limited knowledge of the subject fails. That's why 'issues' etc. are a good idea, because you can adopt a variety of answering techniques to appeal to why you think something and how you support your views, which are all parts of the assessment - not just for VCE for the JLPT and other tests.
As for other reasons, the topic needs to be easily researchable and have a variety of resources to help you learn, otherwise you'll be in for a tough time :(

Why not think about it a little more? I would really suggest looking at Japanese news sites or jumping on the internet to ask some Japanese about some problems they're experiencing or what they love most about their country etc.
Good luck~
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

jibba

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 日本のミカタ
« Reply #281 on: June 03, 2015, 12:21:47 am »
+1
Hi guys,

Most examiners would expect the student to raise some issue associated with their topic and suggest a solution to that problem. That's what I think your tutor was talking about.
You would need to raise some sort of an issue associated with tea production maybe something like environmental concerns, or unfair conditions of workers, etc?(I'm not sure if they are actually issues I was just suggesting some).

I chose vocaloids, and I made up issues like in the future, singers would cease to exist so that's an issue.

You definitely would need to raise issue points if you want to do well in your detailed study.

Good luck.

Japanese tea is a great topic.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:16:54 am by jibba »

2014: Exchange to Hitotsubashi University, Japan (April - August) & Seoul National University (September - December). JLPT N1
2017: Tutoring VCE Japanese/Offering VCE Japanese notes email : [email protected]

jibba

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 日本のミカタ
« Reply #282 on: June 03, 2015, 12:40:27 am »
+1
I don't quite understand the usage of 'Verb dictionary form + のに ' to emphasise  the means or lack of means for achieving a purpose. (As explained by Wakatta textbook!)

Some example sentences and their translations which have been given are:

着物を着るのにじかんがかかる。It takes time to put on a kimono.

車を買うのにお金がたりない。I don't have enough money to buy a car.

Is it similar to the ために pattern?

:) Any help would be appreciated!

Sorry for the late response, I think I missed your posts on the previous page.

のに is similar to ために if you look at the english translation of 'purpose' but they are not interchangeable.

のに represents a 'function(機能)' or 'situation (場合)' of your purpose rather than an 'intention (意志)'

Situation
着物を着るのに、時間がかかる
着物を着る場合に、時間がかかる
To wear a kimino, it would take time
In the case of wearing a kimino, it would take time
(Excuse poor english grammar, I translated literally)

Function
このじしょは日本語を勉強するのに、便利です
This dictionary is useful for studying Japanese

The dictionary has the functional purpose of being useful for studying Japanese
(again excuse literal translation)

Intention
日本語を勉強するために、じしょを買いました
In order to study Japanese, I bought this dictionary
(You had an intention to study Japanese)

I think some Japanese people would also not know the difference between these two grammars, so this is just my understanding of them. I might be wrong, so if you have further problems best to contact your teacher :)

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #283 on: June 09, 2015, 10:24:04 am »
Thanks so much for the help Jibba!

:)

Also with VCE Japanese writing is it good or bad to link more than one grammar pattern together? My teacher seems to prefer simple writing, without many linked grammar patterns, and when I do otherwise she says that the writing is "too heavy".

Could this be a result of me linking two grammar patterns together in a way that is unnatural?

jibba

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 日本のミカタ
« Reply #284 on: June 09, 2015, 11:36:26 am »
+2
Linking too many grammar patterns together may result in a lot of unnatural phrases, so you should be careful when doing so.
I wouldn't say avoid it all together, but try learn why it sounds unnatural and avoid it when your teacher points it out.

It is possible to mix a few patterns together and keep it natural.
For example: と比べてみると - mixes ~と and ~てみる
~について話したいと思います - mixes ~について, ~たい and と思います