Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:34:53 am

Author Topic: (I don't know where else to put this.) How are study scores calculated?  (Read 1424 times)  Share 

48delrish

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Mount Ridley P-12 College
I understand how the graded assessments work, but how is that mark determined?

I'm assuming from the graded distribution documents I've seen, a  mark is given out of a certain value (usually 100) for the graded assessments.

But, is this an average of the SACs you do, or not?

For example, say you get a really low score on one Unit 3 SAC, but kill the others. Is the Graded Assessment calculated from an average of your SAC results, or are those results added up to something out of 100?

2014: Business Management (43).

2015: English, Legal Studies, History: Revolutions, Further, VCE Plus: History (La Trobe extension program).

2016: (Goal) Bachelor of Politics, Philosophy and Economics at La Trobe, or a similar degree.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: (I don't know where else to put this.) How are study scores calculated?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 06:47:21 pm »
Answering in terms of legal studies according to the study design (since I assume that's what you're interested in), it does work almost the same way for all subjects, except that in some subjects SACs are worth less to your study score.

For legal, your Unit 3 SACs are out of 100, and are worth 25% of your study score.  Each SAC is worth a certain percentage of this 25%, which differs for each SAC - for instance, a 10 mark SAC on half of unit 3 outcome 1 is worth 10% of this 25%, i.e. 2.5% of your total study score.

This means that the outcome 2 SAC has far more impact on Unit 3 SAC marks, as it's worth 50 marks (1/2 of it, i.e. 12.5% of your SS).

So yes, all your SAC marks are added up to something out of 100; if you lose 1.5 marks on a SAC, but get 100% on all others, your GA mark will be 98.5.

However, recall that this will later be moderated based on your ranking and cohort's performance on the exam - the specific marks aren't important.

EDIT: Where to put this?  Probably under the 'Victorian Education Discussion' board.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:57:25 pm by bangla_lok »
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

48delrish

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 07:29:51 pm »
Answering in terms of legal studies according to the study design (since I assume that's what you're interested in), it does work almost the same way for all subjects, except that in some subjects SACs are worth less to your study score.

For legal, your Unit 3 SACs are out of 100, and are worth 25% of your study score.  Each SAC is worth a certain percentage of this 25%, which differs for each SAC - for instance, a 10 mark SAC on half of unit 3 outcome 1 is worth 10% of this 25%, i.e. 2.5% of your total study score.

This means that the outcome 2 SAC has far more impact on Unit 3 SAC marks, as it's worth 50 marks (1/2 of it, i.e. 12.5% of your SS).

So yes, all your SAC marks are added up to something out of 100; if you lose 1.5 marks on a SAC, but get 100% on all others, your GA mark will be 98.5.

However, recall that this will later be moderated based on your ranking and cohort's performance on the exam - the specific marks aren't important.

EDIT: Where to put this?  Probably under the 'Victorian Education Discussion' board.

Are the scores moderated according to the overall graded assessment, as opposed to individual SACs?

2015: English, Legal Studies, History: Revolutions, Further, VCE Plus: History (La Trobe extension program).

2016: (Goal) Bachelor of Politics, Philosophy and Economics at La Trobe, or a similar degree.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 07:55:28 pm »
Are the scores moderated according to the overall graded assessment, as opposed to individual SACs?
Overall.  I don't think the teacher sends in specific SAC marks, just the overall Unit 3 and Unit 4 (and SAT for folio subjects) marks.  So, if the cohort's average in the exam is a lot lower than their SAC marks, then their Unit 3 and Unit 4 SAC marks go down.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

48delrish

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 08:32:46 pm »
Overall.  I don't think the teacher sends in specific SAC marks, just the overall Unit 3 and Unit 4 (and SAT for folio subjects) marks.  So, if the cohort's average in the exam is a lot lower than their SAC marks, then their Unit 3 and Unit 4 SAC marks go down.

Okay, thanks again :)