Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:57:32 pm

Author Topic: Gwen Harwood Poetry  (Read 33669 times)  Share 

harlequinphoenix

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: Gwen Harwood Poetry
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 08:51:52 pm »
out of 10 or 20?? Because they're definitely better than an 8 out of 20! I've only read the IFAJ one so far, but it sounds really good, I am like in love with the first paragraph hehe *steals* it just explains it perfectly.
2010: Visual Communication & Design [43]
2011: English [40] | Psychology [48] | Further Maths [38] | Literature [42] | Health and Human Development [47]
ATAR: 98.00

msantorini

• Non-Student
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Gwen Harwood Poetry
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 06:49:22 pm »
A Kitchen Poem – Passage 1
Estuary – Passage 2
The Violets – Passage 3

Through the juxtaposition between past and present, organic imagery and a pronounced tone of both wonder and tranquillity marking the language, Gwen Harwood’s poetry delineates the nature of love, time and memory as they personify human existence.
The gentle meditation, The Violets, is an exploration of the existential concerns of the poet. There is a notable disturbance in the language of the first stanza with the ‘ambiguous light’ and ‘ambiguous sky’ both representative of an unsure state of mind in which the mature poet finds herself. The style of the poem reveals a troubled interior narrative and reflection, with the speaker describing a childhood memory which is engendered by the perfume of violets, a common flower of her youth. There is a structure to the poem which separates the identities that are involved. The articulation of the memory, as recollected by the child figure, is indented throughout.  The opening stanza is written by a narrator whom is created for the poem while the presence of the mature poet, Harwood, reflects on the moments which are described in the work.

Thanks for sharing this. I personally love the scent of violets because it always reminds me of summer. I think I have to buy a perfume of violets or even better would be to check the florists in Sunderland if the have some fresh violets and buy some of them. Nothing is better than the scent of fresh violets.