Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:01 pm

Author Topic: Controversial Issue: Gay Marriage  (Read 39661 times)  Share 

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: Controversial Issue: Gay Marriage
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2011, 09:23:20 pm »
+3
No, marriage should be between a man and a man, you're wrong!

Truck

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +122
  • School: who needs school when you got SWAG?
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2011, 09:33:16 pm »
+2

Screw you, marriage should be between a pig and a goat!
#yolo #thuglife #swaggotandproud

Inspirations: Mahtama Ghandi, T-Pain, The Caped Crusader and Ayn Rand.

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12:15 pm »
2), that is if we are to legislate for gay marriage, it is only fair to legislate for all the other social taboos that exist.
Slippery slope

Because marriage should be between a man and a woman.
How fucking original
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

Thu Thu Train

• Voted AN's sexiest member 2012
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • <3
  • Respect: +336
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2011, 11:29:32 pm »

Screw you, marriage should be between a pig and a goat!
Marriage should be between two men and a blow up doll!
        (
     '( '
    "'  //}
   ( ''"
   _||__ ____ ____ ____
  (o)___)}___}}___}}___}   
  'U'0 0  0 0  0 0  0 0    0 0
BBSN14

i actually almost wish i was a monash student.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2011, 02:27:15 pm »
Because marriage should be between a man and a woman.

/thread guys, forget all the discussion on previous pages, this argument wins

All those people that say marriage is sacred and should be blessed, and so forth and so on, confuse me; why then, is there such a thing, as divorce?

because those evil gays will DESTROY the sanctity of marriage!!!!!

Britney Spears' marriage lasted 55 hours but at least she's a god-fearing man-lover!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:30:17 pm by ninwa »
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 10:16:16 pm »
+2
1) Opens up the possibility to question why consent have to be made an issue, which is productive because it relates to 2), that is if we are to legislate for gay marriage, it is only fair to legislate for all the other social taboos that exist. And to me, there's more of a issue there given as you have previously asserted, and I have taken to be quite true, that there are no rational arguments against gay marriages specifically.

What taboo? Homosexuality isn't a taboo, it's normal.

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
  • School: d
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2011, 11:32:48 am »
The main argument religious people have against gay marriage is that the institution of marriage is not being respected and degraded as it was intended to be a man and a woman in love. Now, whilst I personally don't agree with this and feel that any two people in love are equal, you have to realise that in its present state, marriage has already been tarnished and degraded by heterosexual couples (Kim Kardash+High divorce rate etc). I feel that the original entity that was marriage is actually more respected by gay couples than hetero. Gay couples seem to, in my opinion, genuinely want to be married for love. The majority of straight couples are the same, they want to be in love for the next month and a half and thus get married....

My $0.02

weasleyisourking

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2011, 03:26:32 pm »
+1
This is how I see it.

In 20 years, the next generation will look back on us with disgust at the way gay people were segregated and marginalised, just like how we look back on the way African-American and Aboriginal people were legally discriminated against in the dark histories of our own country's pasts.

Essentially the gay marriage issue is an exercise in empathy and the extent of one's belief in what is the inalienable human right of equality.

I for one feel sick at the thought that such blatant prejudice still reigns in a country such as our own and I look forward to watching those who oppose gay marriage try to justify their position to their own children in 20 years time who will struggle to understand how their own parents who stood complacent in the midst of oppression.
I wanna be the very best, like no-one ever was. DUN DUN DUN.

2011: Methods [29], Physics [34], English [46], History: Revolutions: [46], Literature [47]
+ Cert III Apprenticeship credits
ATAR 2011: 98.00
2012 +: International Relations/LLB @ ANU

“Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
  • School: d
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2011, 03:42:08 pm »
This is how I see it.

In 20 years, the next generation will look back on us with disgust at the way gay people were segregated and marginalised, just like how we look back on the way African-American and Aboriginal people were legally discriminated against in the dark histories of our own country's pasts.

Essentially the gay marriage issue is an exercise in empathy and the extent of one's belief in what is the inalienable human right of equality.

I for one feel sick at the thought that such blatant prejudice still reigns in a country such as our own and I look forward to watching those who oppose gay marriage try to justify their position to their own children in 20 years time who will struggle to understand how their own parents who stood complacent in the midst of oppression.

I disagree, homosexuality has been a hot-topic for 2000 years. Racism was not AFAIK.

weasleyisourking

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2011, 03:55:51 pm »
This is how I see it.

I disagree, homosexuality has been a hot-topic for 2000 years. Racism was not AFAIK.

Bigotry comes in many different forms. I'm not pretending to be an expert on world history - but slavery as a form of racism has existed since even before BC (over 2011 years ago)?
I wanna be the very best, like no-one ever was. DUN DUN DUN.

2011: Methods [29], Physics [34], English [46], History: Revolutions: [46], Literature [47]
+ Cert III Apprenticeship credits
ATAR 2011: 98.00
2012 +: International Relations/LLB @ ANU

“Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

acrimony

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2011, 04:34:56 pm »
Many valid points were shared throughout this thread, but my point champions everything argued thus far.

I would like to ask you all to rid yourselves of any political correctness that plagues society today. You may say I am being ignorant, but the fact is ther is no genetic predisposition towards homosexuality; meaning they were not born gay.

Do you ever see a lion having sexual intercourse with another lion? Of course not because the lion is paired with a lioness.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:39:20 pm by acrimony »

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2011, 04:37:16 pm »
There is no valid/rational argument against gay marriage.

Again, this entirely. Anyone who believes in an ethics of autonomy would agree. The arguments against it are completely circular and just plain bullshit.

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2011, 04:41:19 pm »
Many valid points were shared throughout this thread, but my point champions everything argued thus far.

I would like to ask you all to rid yourselves of any political correctness that plagues society today. You may say I am being ignorant, but the fact is ther is no genetic predisposition towards homosexuality; meaning they were not born gay.

Do you ever see a lion having sexual intercourse with another lion? Of course not because the lion is paired with a lioness.

Do you have a source on that?

I can pick many other potential differences between lions and humans by the way. For a start we are bipedal.

acrimony

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2011, 04:46:32 pm »

Do you have a source on that?

I can pick many other potential differences between lions and humans by the way. For a start we are bipedal.

Do I have a source on what exactly? I'm sorry you have to be more direct. It's clever that you've observed humans walk on two feet, but I'm arguing the intimate relationships of humans compared to lions.

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2011, 04:49:17 pm »
That lions always have sex with lionesses.