Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:53:18 am

Author Topic: My SWOT VAC Questions Thread  (Read 3303 times)  Share 

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
My SWOT VAC Questions Thread
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:01:16 pm »
Why would a state voluntarily abandon state sovereignty, and more importantly, what are some examples of this?

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
My SWOT VAC Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 07:34:31 pm »
+2
Perceived economic/security benefits from joining regional groupings (plenty of reports on state economies booming after they join the EU (well, pre-2008  )signing third-agenda issue conventions to look like a good global citizen (you could apply this to Syria I think, with Assad agreeing to give up chemical weapons - he wants to improve his image).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:42:14 pm by Vermilliona »
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

maddimarvel

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • VCE is death.
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: My SWOT VAC Questions Thread
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 11:28:50 am »
It does my head in because every time I find an example, something changes. It's an ever-changing subject. Do you think we would get marked down for using examples that are a few months old?

Like Syria, for example. Since my last intra/inter state conflict SAC, so much has changed.

It's mind boggling. I hate this subject with a passion.
2013: [aiming] Revs (40), Lit (40)... I can dream, Australian Hist (38) , Art (35), Global Politics (35)

-will be posting my notes after my last exams if anyone is interested-

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 11:37:27 am »
+2
It does my head in because every time I find an example, something changes. It's an ever-changing subject. Do you think we would get marked down for using examples that are a few months old?

Like Syria, for example. Since my last intra/inter state conflict SAC, so much has changed.

Lecturers usually say that if you want to use a fact that's dated, you just say 'as of June 2012' etc, and that's fine for short answer. But for Syria, I'd think that in an essay you definitely don't want to leave out the chemical weapons and Geneva 2 progress, a discussion/evaluation probably has to refer to the most current state of affairs. That being said, if Assad lays down arms or something the night before the exam, they wouldn't expect you to re-frame your whole argument, so I think you'd just write as if the conflict was still going (which it probably would be anyway, because sectarianism and a power vaccuum). I definitely don't think you'd get marked down as long as the evidence was, in fact, relevant at that particular time (June etc.). Ramble, sorry.
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 06:34:31 pm »

When was that SAC? What's changed in the past month?

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 08:58:38 pm »

Not sure what maddimarvel has in mind, but I'd say mainly the Geneva 2 conference progression, since the SNC agreed to attend it like 2 days ago. Also, UN progress on chemical weapons destruction maybe (production equipment confirmed as destroyed on October 31)? You could say the situation on the ground hasn't changed that much though.
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

maddimarvel

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • VCE is death.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 10:00:26 am »

It was in September. Mainly what Vermilliona said.

What are you all aiming for as a study score?

Not sure what maddimarvel has in mind, but I'd say mainly the Geneva 2 conference progression, since the SNC agreed to attend it like 2 days ago. Also, UN progress on chemical weapons destruction maybe (production equipment confirmed as destroyed on October 31)? You could say the situation on the ground hasn't changed that much though.
2013: [aiming] Revs (40), Lit (40)... I can dream, Australian Hist (38) , Art (35), Global Politics (35)

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 12:55:49 pm »

Highest I can get, I'd be very very happy with 40+, but there's lots of pressure to do better than that since it's my only 3/4 and I've devoted so much time to it... I dunno. But, just saying, I think you'll do better than the aim in your signature, you seem very up-to-date and involved in the subject, so.
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

maddimarvel

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • VCE is death.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 04:12:46 pm »
Highest I can get, I'd be very very happy with 40+, but there's lots of pressure to do better than that since it's my only 3/4 and I've devoted so much time to it... I dunno. But, just saying, I think you'll do better than the aim in your signature, you seem very up-to-date and involved in the subject, so.

You'll get in the 40s for sure, you've been dedicated to this subject since I joined the forums! How lucky you are doing it as a 3/4 in year 11, I wish I had the chance to do it.

Haha, thank you!  :D I really hope so, but it's just so hard to judge with subject. I'lll be sure to keep updated here, would love to hear how you went :)

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 09:45:46 pm »
Quick question: does this count as an international law? I'm in love with NK, I know it so well and it fits into every AoS very nicely, and not a lot of people do it, so it would be a dream if I could use the above as an example of international law. I've been erring on the side of caution all year though, as it only affects two states and a handful of international NGOs, so it's a stretch to call it 'international'.

I would be over the damn moon if I got bang on 40 (it's a middle-band for law, I wouldn't stop grinning for a week), but realistically, I'm anticipating something in the mid 30s. I've been floundering around the high 70s - low 80s for the entire year (with one 100% on my first SAC that made me get lax) in a small good-to-average cohort. If I get a decent exam mark, I think mid-30s is attainable.

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 10:35:37 pm »
+1
Yeah, I'd be cautious with using that as international law/treaty, since "A treaty is a compact made between two or more independent nations" according to the legal dictionary - I think of international laws/treaties as something either between multiple states (where they all sign to agree to certain actions), or bodies of global governance. But there's no reason why you couldn't use it as a state response to the issue of people movement? I know I do a US law as a response to human rights, so the NK Act would be applicable in this regard. Maybe you could do The Convention Governing the Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa or Cartagena Declaration if you're looking for less used regional treaties? Not sure how useful they are, since I don't do people movement, but hopefully that helps :/
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 06:57:26 pm »
For those of you doing human rights/development for Ethical issues and debates, what are the perspectives you're looking at? I don't know whether to apply the cosmopolitan/realist/pluralist ones to these issues, and how well they actually fit.

Like, for development, would you say like "this NGO has a cosmopolitan perspective, because they distribute aid to a variety of states, basing this on the belief that the individuals in these states share a common humanity" and then use the example of a state and be like "Australia espouses a somewhat realist perspective, cutting back on its obligations to foreign aid due to internal economic issues" (but with more stats etc)?

And for human rights, could you do like different cultural perspectives? Thanks in advance :))
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 02:35:58 pm by Vermilliona »
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 02:31:18 pm »
What's a general way of explaining how TNCs challenge state sovereignty?

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 04:12:32 pm »
What does "Using one IGG you have studied this year, evaluate the challenges to that organisation's ability to achieve its aims" mean? Evaluate the challenges?
Like, "a challenge the IMF faces in achieving its aims is ______. This is a significant challenge because x, y and z case studies", where the bolded part is the evaluative comment?
Also, question is worth six marks, so would that be 2 challenges, 2 evaluations, 2 examples? Or 3 challenges and 3 evaluations? Can you get a mark for evaluation without an example or a stat?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 04:14:39 pm by achre »

maddimarvel

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • VCE is death.
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 04:46:28 pm »
What's a general way of explaining how TNCs challenge state sovereignty?

I would say political power, they're determined by how many people they employ thus having a large push/power towards the states governmental issues. Like Shell Nigeria.

Hmmmm, I'm not 100% sure about your second post. Ahdsgfijhefis this exam is going to suck.