Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:37:49 am

Author Topic: VCE ATAR to IB  (Read 21963 times)  Share 

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
Re: VCE ATAR to IB
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 09:15:14 pm »
He means the study design, as opposed to the exams.  =/
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

gossamer

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 09:34:46 pm »
I see! Thanks for explaining that :)

Suppose that I wanted to go to one of those prestigious unis that you mentioned.. since I don't do A-levels, or IB, would they look at the VCE results for whatever subjects are the pre-requisites for the course I'm looking at?

(also, do you know anything about the BMAT?)

I think they'd look at VCE results, but from what I can tell getting into Oxbridge is also very much dependent upon your personal application (I believe you have to do another series of Oxbridge-specific testing) and also sit a few interviews.

Yes that would make sense. Thank you.
For Oxford, there's actually a specific page for international qualifications which includes a lot of countries, and it specifies an ATAR range (I'm assuming you'd have to do interviews and whatever on top of that of course), but Cambridge doesn't have the same thing (at least, not that I could find.) which is a bit annoying :/

To Gossamer,

Yes, they will look at your VCE results. They told me that the minimum enter/atar for law is 92 (Edinburgh). I believed that they also get their enter requirements through IB->Atar conversions, because it also specifically stated that the IB range score for Law is between 34-45, and a 34 in IB is an atar 92 according to the conversion tables I have linked you.  

Oh, they would also like to look at the subjects you do, as they want to be certain that you are competent in essay-based subjects like history, classics, literature etccc In a sense, it is ironic, given their own atrocious A-Level standard, esp with English.

Good Luck mate! :)
Ahh okay -- did you enquire about that to the uni, or was it on the website or something?
Since I'm not exactly familiar with IB -- I'm assuming the maximum score you can get is 45?

LOVEPHYSICS

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 12:54:04 am »
Nah, I actually sent them an email for their help. Yes the max score is 45, I've linked you the website.
Arts/Law (ANU)

gossamer

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 12:59:26 am »
Nah, I actually sent them an email for their help. Yes the max score is 45, I've linked you the website.
Ahh okay. Cheers :)

LOVEPHYSICS

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 01:28:19 am »
Yeah, all the books that claims to be A-level standard seems a tad hardcore right? Well, those books are not the real deal, it is only one of UK's many pathetic attempts to revive their once ' golden A level standard.' Also, if it is really that hard, the average grade for A-Level wouldn't have been a B. Check out their study designs and past papers, its a joke really. Many criticisms also include the fact that their syllabus hasn't change for decades, they are simply not up to date and that their papers are getting easier to anticipate each year. Their own teachers even admitted that its not due to better teaching that the average grades had soared recently, but because their papers are getting easier and more predictable. The fact that UCAS acknowledge that their A -Level is getting trashed by international qualifications such as IB also says a lot.

Arts/Law (ANU)

Yang Tay

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 04:24:33 pm »
I was just wondering, say if i'm trying to apply for the UK unis such as Cambridge or Imperial College of London, what would be the minimum score needed? Because I was told that it would almost be impossible by using VCE and I heard an A in A level is about 45~50?

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 04:48:20 pm »
I was just wondering, say if i'm trying to apply for the UK unis such as Cambridge or Imperial College of London, what would be the minimum score needed? Because I was told that it would almost be impossible by using VCE and I heard an A in A level is about 45~50?

This is a lie.  I know a person who's at Oxford now (who didn't do the IB) who got high 98s or low 99s.  Also, considering the requirements for Oxford as listed in the VCE thing are like 98.5+ (which equates to the 38-40 IB score they give), and they also state three As as a good minimum, I don't see how an A could possibly be 45-50...
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].