Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:57:38 am

Author Topic: Global Crises?  (Read 2022 times)  Share 

catnus

Global Crises?
« on: November 15, 2013, 11:08:05 am »
Hi guys,

So for global crises, we pick two 'crises': Intra and interstate conflict and state and non state terrorism. And then we pick a case study to go with each right? So I could do Iran for state terrorism and Al-Qaeda for non-state terrorism as well as Afghanistan for interstate conflict and Syria for Intrastate conflict?

Then, when we're asked for causes, proposed solutions, challenges and the like... are we meant to talk about causes, solutions and challenges for the crisis in general or specifically for the case study?

So confused   :-\

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: Global Crises?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 02:24:21 pm »
+1
Yep, all of that's right. For the causes/responses/challenges, you can go general "ethnic tensions increase the likelihood of intrastate conflict...." and then specific "In Syria, for example, long-standing animosity between the Alawites and Sunnis..." in both short answer and essay.

Personally, I just go specific straight away, while still mentioning that this is a general kind of trend. So the same applies to all the responses, challenges etc, although I suppose it's harder to find a general little preamble for responses. You could just go "some actors choose to promote military solutions to conflict..." and then go specific again. Hope that's somewhat helpful :)
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

catnus

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 04:57:37 pm »
Thanks for the help :) My teacher's been confusing me about the whole thing via email and the study design itself is a bit ambiguous so your advice is really appreciated :)

catnus

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:11:17 am »
Just another question...
To what extent can you discuss the sanctions in Iran placed by the EU the US and the UNSC due to Iran's nuclear ambitions as part of a response of the global community to a response to the global community? To me, the link seems a bit tenuous but if I can't talk about I really have no responses to talk about :P

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 10:56:01 am »
as part of a response of the global community to a response to the global community?

Can you paraphrase, I actually have no idea what you mean, sorry  :-\ What crisis is this in relation to?
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

catnus

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 12:14:38 pm »
Sorry hahaha just going out of my mind with Politics!

I'm doing Iran as an example of the state sponsorship of terrorism, and it sponsors Hezbollah, aid and training to Hamas etc. etc. But the fact that it has nuclear ambitions somewhat complicates the issue and sanctions have been placed on Iran by the UNSC, the EU and the US (stock standard asset freezes, bans on investment, reducing the ease of the acquisition of credit etc.) because it has pursued its enrichment program. Due to the fact that it has such established links with terrorist groups (it actually made Hezbollah in the '80s), and that there are fears it could diffuse such technology to radical groups, could these punitive actions be used as an example of global actors responding to the threat of non-state terrorism?

Because really, aside from that, the only action anyone has taken (aside from lambasting Iran and issuing reports that are just a litany of indictments), is the US issuing specific travel bans and asset freezes on individuals in Iran, because they facilitated the channeling of al-Qaeda's funds and men through Iran, which is pretty much nothing :P

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 12:45:10 pm »
Yeah, I think with the way that you phrased it, the link is pretty clear between the nuclear program and terrorism, so I'm fairly sure they'd accept it! And that would be pretty great to do because of the Iran-US talks happening right now as well, so you'd get at least brownie points for how current the response is.

Just make the link clear, like you have there, and it should be fine, although I'd say maybe only use it as a paragraph in an essay rather than a short answer - maybe do the asset bans/freezes/indictments for a short answer and only mention the nuclear stuff if you have to. Those responses might not be flashy, but they link more solidly, and besides, if it was an evaluate you could bring up how they've been ineffective because of their subdued nature. But use nuclear if you're doing an essay on it. Arghh, I know I'm being confusing, I don't even know why I'm giving you advice, you seem equally competent and could probably have figured this out on your own and ugh I should go do revision. I hope that helped nonetheless :)
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

catnus

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 02:07:48 pm »
Haha sorry for frustrating you! Just needed a second perspective on things :P Thank you for the help!