Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:47:15 pm

Author Topic: Global Politics 2014  (Read 47257 times)  Share 

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
Re: Global Politics 2014
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 12:48:59 pm »
Could someone actually explain what each aim of the IMF actually means/examples? My teacher didn't really interpret it well;

1. Promote international monetary cooperation
2. Exchange rate stability
3. Facilitate the balanced growth of international growth
4. Provide resources to help members in balance of payments difficulties
5. Assist with poverty reduction

Plus, loan bailout package provided by the IMF for Greece in 2010, is an example of?
Thanks heaps!

You don't really need to know what all of the aims mean, as you'll never be required to explain all 5 aims, so just pick two and know them well and have case studies for them. Even if you got an essay question, at one aim per paragraph, you'd run out of space/time before you were finished. So don't worry if some of them don't make sense. So long as you can name them, it's all gooood

1. International monetary cooperation is cooperation between different states on the monetary issues between them, generally through forums such as the IMF, to help stabalize further economic growth. It's complementary to the second and third aim in this respect. There are different kinds of monetary cooperation, mostly involving information exchange (domestic banking, financial policies) but also monetary union/integration (see: EU & the European Monetary Union) and policy cooperation (financial regulation)

2. 1 AUD is worth 89 US cents, so a stable exchange rate would mean that that figure doesn't change much over time.

3. Generally through cooperation with the WTO, they just try to improve trading relations with other countries. This might be achieved through liberalizing their policies by removing barriers to trade, or by improving the economic climate of the state (lowering inflation/unemployment, increasing GDP/current account balance) which would motivate other states to trade with them.

4. In addition to technical assistance (effectively guidance and training on economic management to low income states) and surveillance (monitoring financial policies of states), the IMF also provides loans to states that can't make international payments. It helps states restore their macroeconomic stability by stablizing currencies and paying for imports, which is necessary for launching growth. The May 2010 Greece bailout of 110bn euros falls most under this aim. (But as you can see, it's a little bit of everything, really)

5. They only 'assist' with poverty reduction because this is more of the purview of the World Bank. The measured poverty rate of a country is what they try to reduce. They were unsuccessful in achieving this aim in Bolivia, where after 5 years of IMF interaction, the poverty rate was quadruple that of the previous ten years, and they tried to enforce this via widespread privatization and labor reforms and a stated goal of deficit economic growth reduction by 2001 of 6%.

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 01:17:39 pm »
Are these aims from the new textbook? If so, Anna-Louise really needs to go have a coffee with the Chief Assessor and discuss what they actually want from students, because they're a bit out of sync. See 2012 exam report re: question about IMF aims:

"The objectives of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) are to
 promote exchange rate stability
 promote international monetary cooperation
 assist in maintaining a multilateral system of payments
 provide resources to members experiencing balance of payments difficulties
 promote high employment and sustainable economic growth and reduce poverty around the world.

This question was not well answered by many students. Although this was a one-mark question, students needed to show a clear and sound understanding of one of the IMF’s objectives. Many students displayed a very vague understanding, choosing to truncate an objective and in the process not indicating a clear understanding. Students and  teachers should also note that a mechanism of the IMF is not an objective."

So they're effectively saying that if you put, say "assist with poverty reduction" as an aim, that wouldn't get you a mark, because it's truncating the "promote high employment and sustainable economic growth and reduce poverty around the world" aim. Not to mention that "facilitate the balanced growth of international trade" isn't mentioned as an aim on its own.

I'm just pointing this out for you to consider - I'm sure on a SAC the aims you provided would be fine, but I'd be cautious about using them in the exam. But then again, it's GlobalPol, and nobody in the assessment authority had much idea what they're doing anyway, so maybe they'll backtrack on what they said in 2012, *nobody knows*
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 01:29:36 pm »
Better yet, you could ask the IMF themselves:P

Quote from: IMF
Article I of the Articles of Agreement sets out the IMF’s main goals:
  • promoting international monetary cooperation;
  • facilitating the expansion and balanced growth of international trade;
  • promoting exchange stability;
  • assisting in the establishment of a multilateral system of payments; and
  • making resources available (with adequate safeguards) to members experiencing balance of payments difficulties.

So even though I'm sure the chief assessor uses the list he put in the examiner's report, saying "facilitating the expansion and balanced growth of international trade" couldn't be marked wrong because it is a stated aim of the IMF. I mean, better to not chance it, but still.

Also, I swear the examiner's reports were out by February last year, pick up your game vcaa.

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 02:11:19 pm »
Better yet, you could ask the IMF themselves:P

So even though I'm sure the chief assessor uses the list he put in the examiner's report, saying "facilitating the expansion and balanced growth of international trade" couldn't be marked wrong because it is a stated aim of the IMF. I mean, better to not chance it, but still.

Also, I swear the examiner's reports were out by February last year, pick up your game vcaa.

Awkward that 'assist with poverty reduction' isn't even mentioned here, I stand by the fact that the textbook is seriously inadequate. Do you reckon the report will be out by the end of this month? They're probably bogged down due to the amount of 6/7/8 mark questions..
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

HawthornM8

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Matt Damon institution
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 02:16:28 pm »
Anna-Louise really needs to go have a coffee with the Chief Assessor and discuss what they actually want from students
My teacher had a meeting with the chief assessor last week because nobody in my school got over a 40, yet aced every SAC and thought they nailed the exam, which was essentially because they didn't address the questions yet wrote a good piece. He said that Anna-Louise is the chief assessor - lol.

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 03:32:40 pm »
My teacher had a meeting with the chief assessor last week because nobody in my school got over a 40, yet aced every SAC and thought they nailed the exam, which was essentially because they didn't address the questions yet wrote a good piece. He said that Anna-Louise is the chief assessor - lol.

*cries*
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

HawthornM8

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 03:43:53 pm »
Hey,

For Global in AOS1, we have to choose two of something ... I think like TNC's or something, or non-state actors where we just have to know the actor back to front. Do you know what I actually have to know, whether it is a TNC or any non-state actor or something??

Any unusual great examples either if you know what I'm talking about? :D

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 06:06:08 pm »
Hey,

For Global in AOS1, we have to choose two of something ... I think like TNC's or something, or non-state actors where we just have to know the actor back to front. Do you know what I actually have to know, whether it is a TNC or any non-state actor or something??

Any unusual great examples either if you know what I'm talking about? :D

Don't really know what you mean tbh

Do you mean unit 4 AOS1? You have to choose two issues out of human rights, people movement, development and arms control. Unless this is for a SAC task where you're only going to be assessed on two actors in depth, in which case I'd go for whatever interests you the most.

HawthornM8

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 06:07:04 pm »
Don't really know what you mean tbh

Do you mean unit 4 AOS1? You have to choose two issues out of human rights, people movement, development and arms control. Unless this is for a SAC task where you're only going to be assessed on two actors in depth, in which case I'd go for whatever interests you the most.

Not really sure now. I would clarify with my teacher but he is going away until 2-3 days before the SAC. Fantastic!

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 07:47:13 pm »
+2
Is this something like what you mean?

"Two non-state actors chosen from two of the following categories:
– human rights organisations
– environmental organisations
– organised religions
– global terrorist movements
– organised crime syndicates"

If so, your class should be doing one actor from two of the categories, usually your teacher chooses which categories to pick. If you get to choose yourself, I'd recommend picking based on which issues you're studying in Ethical issues and debates (unit 4, aos 1) and global crises and responses (unit 4 aos 2). So e.g. if you're doing human rights as an ethical issue in unit 4 aos 1, pick a human rights org now and you'll have some background and examples when you get to unit 4 later in the year.

If you don't know which issues you'll be studying, do as achre suggested and just pick ones from categories that interest you. There's plenty of information on all of them, I personally did Greenpeace and Al-Qaeda - but be careful with using actors that are a popular choice, your analysis will probably have to be deeper/more researched to stand out.

Re: what you have to know, it's like all the other actors: the aims and objectives, roles, power and influence of these non-state actors
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 07:49:35 pm by Vermilliona »
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47

Book Worm

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Luther College
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 04:56:10 pm »
This year I am doing Global Politics by distance education and my topic for this week is the IMF and WTO as Institutions of Global Governance. I was just wondering if anyone had any good links for reading material or videos that could help me understand?

HawthornM8

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 06:31:26 pm »
Hi,

One of the aims of the IMF is to promote international monetary cooperation and exchange-rate stability - that is all the book says and my teacher says I will have to be able to further explain two aims for each institution of governance.

Would promoting international monetary cooperation be where in theory the more wealthy countries are supposed to be helping less developed countries (need to replace that word with states ffs) with aid, like how Australia gives most of our foreign aid to Papua New Guinea? Would promoting exchange-rate stability refer to trying to stop currency manipulation or something? Pls explain!

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 09:38:44 pm »
You don't really need to know what all of the aims mean, as you'll never be required to explain all 5 aims, so just pick two and know them well and have case studies for them. Even if you got an essay question, at one aim per paragraph, you'd run out of space/time before you were finished. So don't worry if some of them don't make sense. So long as you can name them, it's all gooood

1. International monetary cooperation is cooperation between different states on the monetary issues between them, generally through forums such as the IMF, to help stabalize further economic growth. It's complementary to the second and third aim in this respect. There are different kinds of monetary cooperation, mostly involving information exchange (domestic banking, financial policies) but also monetary union/integration (see: EU & the European Monetary Union) and policy cooperation (financial regulation)

2. 1 AUD is worth 89 US cents, so a stable exchange rate would mean that that figure doesn't change much over time.

3. Generally through cooperation with the WTO, they just try to improve trading relations with other countries. This might be achieved through liberalizing their policies by removing barriers to trade, or by improving the economic climate of the state (lowering inflation/unemployment, increasing GDP/current account balance) which would motivate other states to trade with them.

4. In addition to technical assistance (effectively guidance and training on economic management to low income states) and surveillance (monitoring financial policies of states), the IMF also provides loans to states that can't make international payments. It helps states restore their macroeconomic stability by stablizing currencies and paying for imports, which is necessary for launching growth. The May 2010 Greece bailout of 110bn euros falls most under this aim. (But as you can see, it's a little bit of everything, really)

5. They only 'assist' with poverty reduction because this is more of the purview of the World Bank. The measured poverty rate of a country is what they try to reduce. They were unsuccessful in achieving this aim in Bolivia, where after 5 years of IMF interaction, the poverty rate was quadruple that of the previous ten years, and they tried to enforce this via widespread privatization and labor reforms and a stated goal of deficit economic growth reduction by 2001 of 6%.

Thanks heaps! Btw yes the book for this subject is written really badly.
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

Summers

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
  • School: .
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 07:24:06 pm »
Hi,

I have a Global SAC on Wednesday and I'm a little confused about the Institutions of Global Governance, and how you have to be able to explain its aims, objectives, power, influence, role etc.

For example, I'll do the United Nations. One aim of the United Nations is that it attempts to maintain international peace and security. The United Nations has many roles to achieve this such as investigate situations threatening international peace or recommend a peaceful resolution of a dispute, but more specifically it can achieve this through the role of Peacekeeping, or enforcing its military power. The United Nations currently has over 80,000 peacekeepers positioned around the globe in 15 missions on 4 different continents. More specifically, the United Nations Mission in South Sudan is a peacekeeping mission with 7,000 peacekeepers trying to maintain the peace between South Sudan and its neighbours. However, the United Nations is completely reliant on its members of the General Assembly and its fundings, in which in 2013 it had a budget of $7.2 billion for its military which is pretty small when compared to what Australia spent on its military which was $26 billion in 2013. Moreover, the structure of the United Nations and its Security Council means any permanent (not sure but possibly temporary members) members who are the Big 5 (UK, USSR, USA, France, China) are able to veto anything that comes up in the Security Council.

That is essentially all I know about the United Nations, and that it was founded in October 24th 1945 as a result of the initiative of the great powers who led the war against Japan and Germany to set up a system that reflected the power structures post World War II which included the Big 5 who are permanent members of the Security Council.

If I get asked to evaluate the power or influence of the United Nations, what could I possibly write? I've already been told that I'm going to get asked a question like that for each of the IGG's but on no resource does it actually detail the forms of power or influence these institutions have. Theoretically, I could be like the UN has influence over its member-states who can in reality ignore the institution etc. but I would like something solid. Pls help? e

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2014, 10:48:40 pm »
A score of 92% on my first global sac, thoughts? good enough for a 40 or not?
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University