Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 10:01:38 pm

Author Topic: How much does English help with Literature/vice versa  (Read 1045 times)  Share 

MrBeefSeven

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
How much does English help with Literature/vice versa
« on: October 31, 2014, 07:48:27 pm »
Hi all,
I know you're all probably very busy with exams as am I, but a response would be greatly appreciated.
As a year 11 student, I've been studying Literature 1/2 instead of English this year, and have been performing well. However, the course structure we've been following is very different to the 3/4 course as I understand it, and next year will prove to be a challenge.
My question is, is it a bad idea to do Lit on its own, or should I do English as well next year? A number of people have told me it is difficult to do without English.
PS: I'm doing two unit 3/4s this year, and was planning to do four next year. English would become my fifth.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
Re: How much does English help with Literature/vice versa
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 08:22:03 pm »
i think all but one of my schools lit kids dont do english, you will definitely be fine, ive done all three englishes at one point or another, and lit was the most fun. when i transferred to lit from english i was really upset because in lit i would focus in on one tiny thing like a sentence and write the whole essay on it and it was fine, but in english you sort of have to jump through hoops and show that you know x y and z to get the marks, and it feels a bit more formulaic in english
also i would say lit helps with text response in english in some ways(and only a little) but really its not like doing one will make you a beast at the other, you need to learn similiar shit either way, but thats just me
i would say, if you do really well in your two 3/4s this year, such that they will both probably be in your top 4 subjects, pick up english
otherwise stick to 4 with lit next year
thats just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:24:16 pm by spectroscopy »

walkec

Re: How much does English help with Literature/vice versa
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 09:21:13 pm »
I feel like the skills I have developed in Lit have helped me become better at English, but I still have to work hard at English. It has helped me analyse specific language in greater detail (helpful for Text Response and Language Analysis), but asides from that, doing both haven't really benefited the other.

Not to deter you, but it is really hard to score 40+ in Lit compared to English. You get the top writers in the state doing Lit, but English has people of more varied ability, so if you're a better writer, you're probably more likely to do well in English (not to say you can't do well in Lit). So doing both means you sort of have a back up for your English requirement in your top 4 if you don't do so well in the other. Exam marks in Lit are very unpredictable, so I feel like doing English is a bit of a safety blanket. I wouldn't advise against taking both at once, necessarily. It can be a lot of work doing both at once, but no VCE 3/4 is easy if you want to score highly. Even though Lit was initially frustrating for me at first, I really just tried to enjoy it and it's become one of my favourite subjects.