Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:35:24 pm

Author Topic: 50 in BM, shoot me your questions!  (Read 23033 times)  Share 

dyii22

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: 50 in BM, shoot me your questions!
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2014, 09:48:25 pm »
Sorry to bombard you with questions, but if a question asked you to include a discussion between Motivational theories and which would be most suitable for the organisation, would this imply advantages and disadvantages? The disadvantages I can think of are that Maslow's is time consuming as it is heavily individual based, and requires you to identify each employee's level on the hierarchy, Herzberg's not too sure, Locke's may be time consuming in setting goals (however goals can be set for teams to counteract this).

If a question gave you a really brief case study, e.g. employees are not motivated, how could you provide a justification for either one?

Thanks again!

Trilla

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2014, 09:50:44 pm »
What performance indicators would you allocate to all the areas of study??

Like, there are the ones that were used extensively in AOS1 but what about the less common ones that could apply to ops. man/ HR/ change management??

Mafioso

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2014, 10:20:27 pm »
+1
In Question 1 of the 2011 exam, an ever so brief case study is provided and yet the high scoring answers do not even account for this? Find it interesting because they keep banging on about the 'application to the case material' and contradict themselves by what is in the examiners report answers for that exam. Was wondering if I am missing something?

'High-scoring responses' are not full mark answers (in most cases). VCAA considers A 3/4 or 8/10 to be 'high scoring' so don't treat them as the perfect response and let them influence your answers. I look at some of the sample answers and laugh at how average they are wonder how they featured on the examiners report.

If we had to "compare methods of resolving conflict under a centralized system of employee relations against those under a decentralize employee relations system"
would you talk about:
Negotiation and mediation under a decentralised approach, and conciliation and arbitration under a centralised approach?
Also would it be worth mentioning grievance procedures under any of them?
Thanks in advance. :)

Yeah I agree with negotiation and mediation being more decentralised and conciliation and arbitration being more centralised.
When tackling this question, I would emphasise the level of input from employees in the resolution process because the level of input is a key factor that differentiates a centralised approach from a decentralised one. It is also something that also determines the type of method used.

In regards to grievance procedures - I would mention how they aren't really flexible and are set in stone. Its a more formal, step by step that's usually found in union agreements. Would be tilting towards the centralised side. Personally, I wouldn't bother mentioning them unless I really have to.
Currently tutoring Business Management [50].  Spots open for 2015

Mafioso

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2014, 10:35:04 pm »
+1
Sorry to bombard you with questions, but if a question asked you to include a discussion between Motivational theories and which would be most suitable for the organisation, would this imply advantages and disadvantages? The disadvantages I can think of are that Maslow's is time consuming as it is heavily individual based, and requires you to identify each employee's level on the hierarchy, Herzberg's not too sure, Locke's may be time consuming in setting goals (however goals can be set for teams to counteract this).

If a question gave you a really brief case study, e.g. employees are not motivated, how could you provide a justification for either one?

Thanks again!

Most suitable depends on the scenario provided.

Consider this - an organisation is suffering with poor business performance and the sales/profit targets aren't being met because the employees in charge of sales aren't motivated enough.

Here Locke's theory is the most appropriate. By setting goals and achieving them, its a win-win (excuse the crap cliche)  for both the organisation and the employee. When employees actively work towards achieving the set goals, they are motivated by the prospect of successfully achieving the goals. After they've achieved it, they feel a sense of accomplishment which also leaves them in a motivated state. The achievement of the goals is also beneficial for the business because they eventually start meeting the sales/profit targets and they strengthen their competitiveness, increase their financial performance and meet their broader organisational objectives while simultaneously benefiting from a more motivated workplace.

Hertzberg and Maslow aren't the best picks in this scenario because they will be wasting time satisfying lower order needs etc and have to work their way up to the motivating factors. They are both very systematic approaches - With Maslow you have to work its way up the heirarchy one by one and Hertzberg requires you eliminate hygiene factors first, a step that doesnt actually motivate. Also the result of self actualisation if beneficial but in relation to the situation provided, Locke is more beneficial.

Jawnle

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2014, 10:35:56 pm »
is diversity of employees an indicator of corporate culture?

sophiielin

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Donvale Christian College
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2014, 10:40:21 pm »
Hi! Just a few questions :)
1) is your handwriting neat, and if it is messy, how did you try to counteract it? As is have messy handwriting, but it allows me to write fast, which will allow me to reuturn back and correct it, if its really illegible.. does that have any logic to it?
2) did you remember any specific figures or numbers for your orgnisation, that is related to the 10 marker? eg. profit, staff turnover or things like that?
3) what are the two management SKILLs, that you think are the easiest to incorporate and use in any answer?
4) for someone who writes A LOT and usually gets the marks, but takes a long time to get it down, would you suggest writing in dot points, is an effective method?
5) how did you go on your SACs? and how do you think the assessors marked in comparison to your teacher? becasue i feel like my teacher is really anal about some things that the assessors wont be.. but not sure
6) are knowing te plannign process and decision making/problem solving process necessary??

THANKS!

Trilla

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2014, 10:54:44 pm »
would you suggest writing in dot points, is an effective method?

Dont ever use dot points, one of the assessors at my school said that if someone uses dot points in their answer, they get no more than 50% for that question. Not sure why, but i'd say avoid it by paragraphing answers

Mafioso

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2014, 10:58:09 pm »
+1
What performance indicators would you allocate to all the areas of study??

Like, there are the ones that were used extensively in AOS1 but what about the less common ones that could apply to ops. man/ HR/ change management??

Pretty hard to tell. Some are more appropriate in certain chapters compared to others.

The study design mentions these ones by using the term 'including', meaning that it is not an exhaustive list:
- percentage of market share
- net profit figures
- the rate of productivity growth
- the number of sales,
- results of a staff and/or customer satisfaction survey,
- the level of staff turnover,
- level of wastage,
- number of customer complaints
- number of workplace accidents

Then again, you can include any other appropriate indicator as long as you justify it.

With OM - thing like number of defects, level of wastage, amount of inputs required to produce outputs etc. are pretty unique to the chapter.

Change management - again, depends on the change. If the organisation wished to change into a 'tech-savvy' one because it helps streamline operations (indicator could be time take to produce x amount of goods), produces a skilled workforce (indicator could be number of employees who are capable of using technology) and increases profitability (indicator could be net profit values), you can mention how the business would compare pre-change values/indicators to post-change indicators to assess the success of the change.

Be careful with the more creative or unorthodox indicators. I would personally stick to the list in the study design. 

Mafioso

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2014, 11:16:12 pm »
+1
Hi! Just a few questions :)
1) is your handwriting neat, and if it is messy, how did you try to counteract it? As is have messy handwriting, but it allows me to write fast, which will allow me to reuturn back and correct it, if its really illegible.. does that have any logic to it?
2) did you remember any specific figures or numbers for your orgnisation, that is related to the 10 marker? eg. profit, staff turnover or things like that?
3) what are the two management SKILLs, that you think are the easiest to incorporate and use in any answer?
4) for someone who writes A LOT and usually gets the marks, but takes a long time to get it down, would you suggest writing in dot points, is an effective method?
5) how did you go on your SACs? and how do you think the assessors marked in comparison to your teacher? becasue i feel like my teacher is really anal about some things that the assessors wont be.. but not sure
6) are knowing te plannign process and decision making/problem solving process necessary??

THANKS!

1) I would say mine is pretty neat. My writing is very cursive so it allows me to write faster and it looks neat too (most of the time). Writing fast is good but never compromise on the neatness of your writing.

2) I never used any specific values in my 10 marker because it was on the employment cycle and it didn't ask me to talk about a real life organisation. I used a net profit figure in one of my definition questions but I can't remember it now tbh.

3) Communication/Negotiation and Delegation.

4)Never write dot points. The only time I would use it is if I'm up to the 10 marker and there's 1 minute to go, I might write down 10 good dot points. Extreme cases though.

5)Teacher gave me around 190/200 for SACs. I would assume examiner gave me 65/65 for exam, maybe 64/65 worst case. Going by those figures, teacher marked harder.

6) SADIM and DODDSE respectively, no harm in knowing it. I would rather sit the exam knowing what they are instead of going in without knowing what they are.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:40:33 pm by Mafioso »

Geetee

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: Private
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2014, 11:21:18 pm »
Hi mafioso, haven't came across the arbitration, mediation and conciliation stuff in employee relations in resolving disputes, could you give a little explanation of this if possible. Thanks
2014 - Business Management

Mafioso

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2014, 11:22:08 pm »
+1
is diversity of employees an indicator of corporate culture?

Yeah I'd definitely say it is. A diverse workforce is a key competitive advantage and it also reflects adherence to equal employment opportunity legislation, anti-discriminatory work practices, creative workplace with a variety of ideas and so on.

Jawnle

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2014, 11:27:46 pm »
Yeah I'd definitely say it is. A diverse workforce is a key competitive advantage and it also reflects adherence to equal employment opportunity legislation, anti-discriminatory work practices, creative workplace with a variety of ideas and so on.

Awesome thanks. With ways to indicate corporate culture, can you explain how training does this providing an example?

Mafioso

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2014, 11:38:40 pm »
+1
Hi mafioso, haven't came across the arbitration, mediation and conciliation stuff in employee relations in resolving disputes, could you give a little explanation of this if possible. Thanks

Sure, I'll give it a shot.

A centralised approach to disputes generally refers to the involvement of a 3rd party, usually FWA. For all collective agreements to be approved by FWA, they have to include a dispute resolution procedure. If a conflict occurs in a hostile workplace with little communication between the employees and managers this process will be very procedural and will involve 3rd parties. This can happen though conciliation (3rd party meets each party separately and offers a solution that is not legally binding) and arbitration (same as conciliation but solution is legally binding and there is usually a loser and a winner situation as opposed to both parties being satisfied).

A decentralised approach to disputes generally refers to the alternative methods of conflitc resolution that is based on the participative/consultative nature of the relations between employee and employer. If its a positive workplace and a conflict arises, they'll probably talk it out through negotiation (no 3rd parties) or mediation (infront of neutral 3rd party in a non-hostile environment where the 3rd party just assists the two parties to reach a conclusion and doesnt offer a solution).

I wouldnt stress too much about this and I highly doubt it will have a big presence in your exam but its definitely worth knowing.

Mafioso

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2014, 11:49:52 pm »
+1
Awesome thanks. With ways to indicate corporate culture, can you explain how training does this providing an example?

How does training indicate corporate culture?

Never come across this before and I'm basically making this up so don't hold me to it. I would say something like: A human resource management team that emphasises the need for the training and development of its employees reflects a culture that nurtures the professional development of its staff. By consistently reviewing its training practices to reflect skills that may be lacking or skills that may be necessary to undertake operations in a more productive manner, the business demonstrates a culture that takes a proactive approach towards improving the abilities of its employees.

Feel free to correct me/add on to the answer.

dyii22

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2014, 12:07:11 am »
Just another question -
What would you say the advantages and disadvantages of adopting an industry wide award over a collective agreement, if you had to give two each? I've got

Adv 1 - Equality across all organisations in an industry, meaning employees who wish to change jobs can expect similar conditions of employment
Adv 2 -
Disadv 1 - Inability to link productivity to wages and rewards, removing a possible incentive for employees to aim to be more productive
Disadv 2 -

Cheers