Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:59:13 am

Author Topic: Controversial Issue: Gay Marriage  (Read 39709 times)  Share 

Nomvalt

Re: Controversial Issue: Gay Marriage
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 05:23:54 am »
Depends how far you go in terms of your family tree.

There is scientific evidence to suggest that incest and the potential progeny that may result from it could lead to offspring with genetic diseases due to lack of diversity in the genetic pool. The contrary argument isn't the same with homosexual marriages. 

I heard a similar statistic with marrying and conceiving a child with someone of the opposite sex ifrom the same town and race. That is, it slightly increases the chances of birth defects occurring in any one of their offsprings.

However still many prominent scientists have undertook incestuous marriages. Notably, Charles Darwin and Albert Einstein both of whom married their first cousins.

But is this enough justification to ban marriages between people of the same ethnicity?

On the other hand, what about if someone also wanted to marry an animal too? Why should they be denied the right?

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 06:48:11 am »

There is scientific evidence to suggest that incest and the potential progeny that may result from it could lead to offspring with genetic diseases due to lack of diversity in the genetic pool. The contrary argument isn't the same with homosexual marriages.  

I heard a similar statistic with marrying and conceiving a child with someone of the opposite sex ifrom the same town and race. That is, it slightly increases the chances of birth defects occurring in any one of their offsprings.

However still many prominent scientists have undertook incestuous marriages. Notably, Charles Darwin and Albert Einstein both of whom married their first cousins.

But is this enough justification to ban marriages between people of the same ethnicity?

On the other hand, what about if someone also wanted to marry an animal too? Why should they be denied the right?

The issue of consent :P
"People living deeply have no fear of death"
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."
  -Johnny Bench, Hall of Fame baseball player

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 08:18:03 am »
Yes let's allow people to marry animals! Cos the dog is capable of giving informed consent, and understanding and signing a marriage certificate!! Also, comparing homosexuals to animals is totally appropriate.

*sigh*
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 08:56:27 am »

Yeah obviously having kids with someone closer than a 2nd cousin is limiting your gene pool but like I said; if they don't have kids, there really aren't any reasons to prevent incest

This is just because usually a small town has a limited gene pool, a la the founder effect. The Amish are a perfect example of it, they have high frequencies of otherwise rare genes.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:58:01 am by Russ »

Nomvalt

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 10:31:53 am »
Okay, I don't know many gay people (or openly gay) in real life so homosexuality is a bit of a myth for me.

What exactly are the causes for homosexuality? How many gay people do you personally know? :police:

I heard that almost anyone could wake up the next day and 'turn gay' by accident and however and then become straight again the next day.

Still I think there needs to be more scientific research/evidence if people want to condone homosexual marriages in society. There's just too much things that we don't currently know about it and of the possible severe long-term repercussions of making homosexual marriages legal within society.

There are people who describe homosexuality as being subhuman and it being a personal choice for them. For example, in Rove I remember a while back he used to have these segments where he would ask his guests who they would turn gay for just for fun. I'm not sure how seriously he took it by this suggests that he believes that it's a personal decision or at least for some people.

But if it isn't a personal choice, is it reasonable for society to expect them to live a life of celibacy? Is this too much of a burden?

Also, if there is a genetic component for the cause of homosexuality, in the long-run would homosexuals embracing homosexual marriages lead to a decrease in the amount of offspring that society produces that will become homosexuals (as this means they will not impregnate women or themselves with these homosexual genes)?

I also don't know much about genetics but hope the above points society out in the right direction. :)

Nomvalt

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 10:35:57 am »
Yes let's allow people to marry animals! Cos the dog is capable of giving informed consent, and understanding and signing a marriage certificate!! Also, comparing homosexuals to animals is totally appropriate.

*sigh*

ninwa, it's not that uncommon.
I think this is what people fear most, that condoning homosexual marriages will lead to a drastic change in society's traditional moral Christian values and allow such things to occur.

There will be people who will say:
"I don't care about informed consent. Bring me that animal I want to marry it!"

Nomvalt

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 10:43:32 am »
In the first week of January 2006, Sharon Tendler, a British citizen in her forties, married Cindy the dolphin. She said there was nothing perverted about it; she just loves the animal and wants it to have a happy life. The wedding ceremony was simple. Sharon just wore white and gave her love a kiss and a herring. The incident excited the western world so much that it was a hot topic of debate for weeks.

It did not bother us Indians much. Of course, the "westernized" among us talked a great deal about it. The ones who would find nothing absurd about an animal-human marriage probably still haven't heard of it. Anyway, we have stories in our myths about members of the royal family marrying serpents. It used to happen all the time; nothing strange about it. Many a time, marrying a dog, a plant, or some such creature is considered to be the only way to ward off a curse or to correct a flaw in your horoscope.

In November 1977, an Indian in his thirties married a dog. He was not in love with the animal like Sharon was with the dolphin. On the contrary, he had been a dog murderer in the past. Fifteen years ago, he had killed two dogs and, ever since, had been suffering from paralysis and loss of hearing. Marrying a dog was the only way he could atone for his sins.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Animal-human-Marriages

See. Though according to wikipedia it says human-animal marriages are not recognized in law by any country. So maybe they do it by secret or maybe it's not legal anymore or maybe wikipedia is wrong which wouldn't really be surprising at all.

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 02:45:03 pm »
Okay, I don't know many gay people (or openly gay) in real life so homosexuality is a bit of a myth for me.

What exactly are the causes for homosexuality? How many gay people do you personally know? :police:

I heard that almost anyone could wake up the next day and 'turn gay' by accident and however and then become straight again the next day.

Still I think there needs to be more scientific research/evidence if people want to condone homosexual marriages in society. There's just too much things that we don't currently know about it and of the possible severe long-term repercussions of making homosexual marriages legal within society.

There are people who describe homosexuality as being subhuman and it being a personal choice for them. For example, in Rove I remember a while back he used to have these segments where he would ask his guests who they would turn gay for just for fun. I'm not sure how seriously he took it by this suggests that he believes that it's a personal decision or at least for some people.

But if it isn't a personal choice, is it reasonable for society to expect them to live a life of celibacy? Is this too much of a burden?

Also, if there is a genetic component for the cause of homosexuality, in the long-run would homosexuals embracing homosexual marriages lead to a decrease in the amount of offspring that society produces that will become homosexuals (as this means they will not impregnate women or themselves with these homosexual genes)?

I also don't know much about genetics but hope the above points society out in the right direction. :)
Why would someone choose homosexuality? Like, realistically, what would someone have to gain by that? Ignoring the genetics here, if you were living in a country where homosexuality is a punishable crime, you'd probably choose not to be homosexual, if you could. But gay people do exist in such countries. It doesn't seem to be a choice.

But even if it were a choice, I don't see how that even matters. Homosexual people are not hurting anyone by being homosexual, they have every right to be who they are, regardless of whether they have chosen to be gay or if it was some genetic thing.

So, I don't understand why the cause is important? And I really don't understand how not researching the cause could pose risks to society. What kind of risks are you thinking of?

Water

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +116
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 04:33:37 pm »
Nomwalt, that post just revealed our naive you actually are in the issue. And how can you possibly make reference to Rove, its a comedian's show for crikes sake! >;

The problem with gay marriage is, if we legislate it, then why can't we legislate polygamy, incest marriage or other taboos that do not threaten society as a whole. Summing it... When are we pushing over the silver lining.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:39:13 pm by Water »
About Philosophy

When I see a youth thus engaged,—the study appears to me to be in character, and becoming a man of liberal education, and him who neglects philosophy I regard as an inferior man, who will never aspire to anything great or noble. But if I see him continuing the study in later life, and not leaving off, I should like to beat him - Callicle

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 05:39:47 pm »

If you don't like homosexuality then you should support gay marriage in order to prevent them from passing down any gay genes whilst "in the closet".

Nomvalt

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 12:08:19 am »
If you don't like homosexuality then you should support gay marriage in order to prevent them from passing down any gay genes whilst "in the closet".

haha, was just trolling around no need to take me 2 seriously all the time.
i suppose theres nothing wrong with gay marriage. think the only problem really comes from religion which discourages these zorts of things.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 07:28:54 pm »
can i extend that to the rest of your posts, because I can't see much of a difference between them

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 05:37:22 am »
It all comes down to consent. Same-sex marriage, polygamous marriage, and even marriage between relatives is fine, so long as everybody involved is capable of giving consent and chooses to give it.

Also, marriage and child-bearing are two separate issues. I get really annoyed when people implore us to "think of the children" when talking about marriage. It is not relevant! For example, if it's illegal for siblings to procreate, then it shouldn't make a difference whether or not they are married.
So really marriage is just a contract between consenting adults. It doesn't harm anyone and it won't destroy society.

As time has gone by, humans have increasingly embraced civil liberties and become more open-minded, and I think it's inevitable that this trend will continue. When something seems strange now, remember that many things we take for granted would have seemed just as strange in the past.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:46:39 am by /0 »

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 07:08:07 am »
It all comes down to consent. Same-sex marriage, polygamous marriage, and even marriage between relatives is fine, so long as everybody involved is capable of giving consent and chooses to give it.

Also, marriage and child-bearing are two separate issues. I get really annoyed when people implore us to "think of the children" when talking about marriage. It is not relevant! For example, if it's illegal for siblings to procreate, then it shouldn't make a difference whether or not they are married.
So really marriage is just a contract between consenting adults. It doesn't harm anyone and it won't destroy society.

As time has gone by, humans have increasingly embraced civil liberties and become more open-minded, and I think it's inevitable that this trend will continue. When something seems strange now, remember that many things we take for granted would have seemed just as strange in the past.

Agree with every word. One of my bugbears is when people completely conflate their personal sensibilities ("intermarrying is sooo unseemly!!!", "omg, women in burqas look so spooky!!!"), with their public policy perspective.
"People living deeply have no fear of death"
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."
  -Johnny Bench, Hall of Fame baseball player

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 04:28:36 pm »
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]